A couple o' questions...

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Jenia
Rookie

A couple o' questions...

Post by Jenia »

First of all,I must say all the translators are doing a wonderfull job :roll:
I bet they made thausands of people happy...
anyway here goes:

1.how come you put cursewords in your translations :shock:
do japanese people would really make RPG's with curses!?
2.are you sticking to the current projects you have (some of them look finished too,though it says there are still a few precents to fix...)
or are you planning on adding other games to the list in the future?
the power of nothingness is too great to imagine...
HalfShadow
Nebulous Bastard

Post by HalfShadow »

Swearing isn't as big a thing in Japan as it is here, so it's not uncommon for games to have swearing in them. Of course, you also have to take into account the person who did the translating. Sometimes they make a few small changes for the sake of a better-sounding and more precise translation or sometimes just for a bit of fun. As long as the general idea of what the character is saying comes across clearly. Translating isn't a literal thing; they don't just change the words from Japanese to English, they change the words from Japanese to English and then find a way to make that sound right in English.

I think I have that right, anyway.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

Yeah, that's about right. It's a lot harder to translate something so it sounds natural than it is just to go directly from Japanese to English. Babelfish is, admittedly, a rather extreme example of this, but even on a smaller level with some of the work I've personally done, I'm not at all happy with the writing in a lot of my work.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Jenia
Rookie

Post by Jenia »

well,ever heard of...censoring :? ?
I know the curses aern't such a big thing in japan,but japanese people are reasonoble people...they won't put in curses just for fun.
and if I'm playing and suddenly a parent walks into the room and such... :shock:
Last edited by Jenia on Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Tell the "parents" to grow up. :roll:
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Ichinisan is right. My parents don't pay attension to what I play so...yeah.

Edit - And parents should grow up about curse words because it's used a lot these days anyhow.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

Post by The Sage Of Time »

I never personally use such words. (Even the most mild of curses, er.. online at the very least.)
But they don't actually bother me.. And depending on the situation in a game, I would expect cursing.
I mean, really.. It's only natural to curse a little when the whole world starts falling apart.
frickendevil

Post by frickendevil »

1. There are also sometimes no literal translations, whihc may mean a bad work in jap, but has no correspondance, so the most suitable curse is inserted.

And sometimes its inevitable. Like in tales of phantasia, when they are on the ship, arche screaming clesses name, there is nothing else that really fits.
NoS Sr50
Rookie

Post by NoS Sr50 »

As long as you dont say it, why should they care.
[b]Contact[/b]

[AIM] NOS SR50
[EMAIL] nossr50@gmail.com
Jenia
Rookie

Post by Jenia »

well...
Parents don't care if curses are all around,they won't like this :x
abou The tales of phantasia scene,that's not cursing.
Saying stuff like the F-word is :?
about cursing when the world is falling apart...
well <sigh> even if this world will crumble under my feet,I won't curse :roll:

Also,my second question has not been asnwered.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

If you don't like the cursewords or sexual themes in the game, don't play it. DeJap wanted to be as close to the original script as possible.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
HalfShadow
Nebulous Bastard

Post by HalfShadow »

Jenia wrote:well...
Parents don't care if curses are all around,they won't like this :x
abou The tales of phantasia scene,that's not cursing.
Saying stuff like the F-word is :?
about cursing when the world is falling apart...

Also,my second question has not been asnwered.
It's not my place to answer the second question, as I'm not a member of Dejap. Nor, I believe, was anyone else who answered.
Jenia
Rookie

Post by Jenia »

Agozer wrote:If you don't like the cursewords or sexual themes in the game, don't play it. DeJap wanted to be as close to the original script as possible.
you'd play it even if you won't like it if you were in my situation :?

so,the only thing left to do is wait for a member of dejap to answer the second question... cos' I think I get the point :?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

One thing I'd like to see, is a censored version for translation patches.

If you have a tool which automates text insertion, it shouldn't be a big deal to search+replace some text, reconstruct a sentence or two and insert it.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Cidolfas »

They're not interested in doing that, for several reasons. You don't see movie DVDs with "censored versions", even though it'd be even easier to do. If that's what they decided the script would be, that's it. I have to say that I personally was uncomfortable with their decision, but once it'd made it's unfair to ask them to provide multiple versions to please absolutely everyone, especially since it's their opinion that the version they have is the one closest to the original.
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

Post by The Sage Of Time »

Jenia wrote:well...
Perhaps you wouldn't, but I wasn't asking if you would, was I now?
It's human nature to curse a little, especially in a really bad situation, it just..
Seems strange to me when something horrible happens and the hero goes "Darn it!" with a string of emotional dialouge following there after..
I mean, Come on! ...Anyways, the "F-Word" as you put it, is just a word like any other..
Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others do not say it.. And sometimes, it just fits the character\emotion\scene\whatever..
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Their are different translations, but unfortunetly for you the best ones (At least the ones that go and make sense) have curse words. You don't need to have your parents watching over your shoulder when you play a game anyway.

If it annoys you enough I believe you can download a hexeditor and change the dialogue. (I Believe i could be wrong also.)
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

rage46 wrote: If it annoys you enough I believe you can download a hexeditor and change the dialogue. (I Believe i could be wrong also.)
It isn't that simple, you know.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

And according to the he/she it isn't that simple to READ cuss words hence "IF it ANNOYS you ENOUGH you can download a hexeditor" they have to be willing to put some effort forth.
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Newyawkripper

Post by Newyawkripper »

Who cares about curses, most RPGs all have curses. Ever watch a Dragonball Z anime that hasnt been English Dubbed? They curse more than a french sailor lost at sea, and its A CARTOON.....The Japanese society is more accepting of curses, and alot of other things..err...except nudity, they hate that.

and as for dejapa dding future games, I just gotta say Gimme some Fire Emblems and Last Bible 3 :wink:
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Ya they will not tolerate any skin being shown in their society. :D

As for the DBZ series it was fun to watch by yourself but embarrassing if someone else was in the room (Horrible scripts).
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Newyawkripper wrote:...except nudity, they hate that.
The japanese have nudity in everything. It's just the genitals are not allowed to be shown.
Newyawkripper

Post by Newyawkripper »

Yeah, thats what I meant...They are anti penis and vagina.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I think we here in the US are much more anal about censoring nudity/penis/vagina, the whole works moreso than Japan.

I hate that.. I like how Europe and other cultures are much more open anc comfortable with sexuality and nudity.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

You can thank those idiot hippies of the 60's for what happens now