Could ZSNES damage my monitor?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

JohnSebastian

Could ZSNES damage my monitor?

Post by JohnSebastian »

First, I'm sorry if my english not good. But I wish you can understand. I really have a less knowledge about computer.

There is some question I hope you would like to answer it.
1. could zsnes damage my monitor? I always wanna know this.
2. If the answer is yes, what setting of zsnes which is best and safe to my computer (and my monitor)

(My computer have 256MB of RAM, 1GHz, Intel Celeron, 1024x768, and I using ZSNES WIP 27 May)

Regards :P
Poobah
Lurker

Post by Poobah »

Why would ZSNES damage your monitor? :lol: The only way it could do that, that I can think of, would be if you attempted to use a refresh rate or resolution that DirectDraw accepts but your monitor doesn't support, assuming you're using Windows.

The current SVN versions would be negligibly safer, though, since the WIPs currently available have a couple of very minor bugs that result in the screen mode being changed twice or three times as fast as possible.
JohnSebastian

Post by JohnSebastian »

So, Is it will more safe if I enable vsync and triple buffering than dissable them?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

JohnSebastian wrote:So, Is it will more safe if I enable vsync and triple buffering than dissable them?
Even if it's disabled, it shouldn't do anything bad to your monitor.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Personally I've never heard of ZSNES doing bad things to monitors :|

I'm guessing he's talking about kitchensync (which can make your monitor do 120Hz), but even with that enabled, the best you should get is a blank screen saying out of range (orsmth similar.)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I suppose it could cause burn in after very long periods of displaying the heads-up display from most games, but that's no worse than the taskbar in Windows. I' wouldn't worry about it.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

if he has a really old moniter (lol knobs) it could set it to a resolution that's out of range and the monitor would have no safe-guards. it should set the resolution back fairly quickly though so if it looks screwey just don't touch anything and it'll restore in a few seconds.
JohnSebastian

Post by JohnSebastian »

Ok, thanks a lot for the answer. Also thanks to the Zsnes team and the contributers which have bring back my old snes.
Now I can play Chrono Trigger in my computer 8)
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

this one time, my friend played zsnes with the 4xhq filter PLUS vsync. it was the PAL version of super mario world, and his monitor exploded in his face. please don't try this at home, he had to buy a new monitor.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
aminalshmu
Rookie

Post by aminalshmu »

... and a new face.
chriswyatt

Post by chriswyatt »

New monitors have a safe-mode to protect them from blowing up in people's faces.

BTW, there used to be a virus that pushed the monitors refresh rate furthur than it should go!