zget 4

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

franpa wrote: edit - small bug... it doesnt show each question on its own line in zget when automating...
Redirection can sometimes make formatting screwy.
franpa wrote: and it didnt answer the question about up-x with a Y.
Did you have the last Y in the file? Was it followed by a new line?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by franpa »

i gave what i had in the code quote... and the three dots represent a new line.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

franpa wrote:i gave what i had in the code quote... and the three dots represent a new line.
Well in that case let's go over it:
Y - Update ZSNES source?
N - Update to a particular revision?
N - Download/Update ZSNES documentation?
Y - Create/Update changelog.txt?
Y - Compile for you?
N - Compile DOS build instead of ZSNESW?
Y - Clean out object files from previous ZSNES builds first?
N - Use release grade optimization?
Y - Optimize ZSNES build for your CPU's architecture?

I don't see you giving an answer to the UPX question.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by franpa »

doh, yea sorry about that i just seriously thought i had the right number of Y's/N's but alas i shoulda had a double Y at the end... thanks.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It helps to go through the process yourself and pay attention to the input you would have to enter... Sometimes I wonder though...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

is zget 4.2 the only public release of zget 4? or is it a revision of an earlier public version of zget 4?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa wrote:is zget 4.2 the only public release of zget 4? or is it a revision of an earlier public version of zget 4?
Ninja updates...

IIRC, it was to support Vista.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

thanks for the reply.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

franpa wrote:is zget 4.2 the only public release of zget 4? or is it a revision of an earlier public version of zget 4?
Why would you need anything prior? AFAIK every zget update has had a clear advantage over every previous one.

And as the version number should encompass, it's the 3rd release of a zget 4.

Post by xamenus »

I wonder if ZGet should be made to download all of the documentation and not just the HTML version; we also have a CHM and manpage that some users may be interested in.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

If that's what the people want, I'll do that for zget 5.

Post by franpa »

Nach wrote:
Why would you need anything prior? AFAIK every zget update has had a clear advantage over every previous one.

And as the version number should encompass, it's the 3rd release of a zget 4.
i understand that its the 3rd version... i was just wandering if it was the only "public" version... and no i dont want an earlier version... never did :)

what was changed in v4.1?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa wrote:what was changed in v4.1?
Mostly cosmetic bugs. Does that matter... seriously?
85cocoa
Hazed

Post by 85cocoa »

Nach wrote:
franpa wrote:i gave what i had in the code quote... and the three dots represent a new line.
Well in that case let's go over it:
Y - Update ZSNES source?
N - Update to a particular revision?
N - Download/Update ZSNES documentation?
Y - Create/Update changelog.txt?
Y - Compile for you?
N - Compile DOS build instead of ZSNESW?
Y - Clean out object files from previous ZSNES builds first?
N - Use release grade optimization?
Y - Optimize ZSNES build for your CPU's architecture?

I don't see you giving an answer to the UPX question.
Why "no" for release-grade optimization? Does it stop archopts from working or cause other bugs?
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky]Pocky[/url] & [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky]Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky_%26_Rocky]Pocky & Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%28series%29#Animals.2FMobians]Pocky & Rocky[/url]?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

its much faster to compile without and runs at the same speed with it off anyways so theres no point in turning it on unless i want to waste idle time :)

and deathlike i am only curious about the updates to zget... so theres no need to be harsh... unless i say something wrong. (which happens often)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Anyone looking for anything specific out of zget 5?
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Add stuff specifically tailored for debugging. Update the SVN client in the zmingw package...

Include a method of getting a changelog between two revisions (there must be a minimum revision specified, optional end revision, which has a default of the current revision). I don't like the idea of downloading the entire changelog from the beginning. It's not dialup friendly. On the other hand, it can better address revision changes (for bug tracking purposes).
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

just a thought..... have it search for changelog.txt and if its not found in the same place as zget.exe it will create it from scratch... but if it finds it it will just add info from the last revision onwards...

and store the last acquired svn release number somewhere so that it knows what you already have (this number only updates each time you update the changelog itself and not the sourcecode).
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Right now, zget fulfills my particular needs perfectly. However, I have a few rough ideas to simplify the program further whilst still fully retaining its functions. The current 'zmpath' file could be developed into a cfg or ini file with some advanced, editable options (such as to automate compiling, choosing which CPU you want to optimise for, other stuff). Something like this:

Code: Select all

;  ----
; -- Paths --
;  ----

; Path to MinGW
mingw=C:\MinGW

;  ----
; -- Source Retrieval --
;  ----

; Would you like to be able to make DOS builds of ZSNES (0 = NO, 1 = Yes)  
; Allows DOS builds to be compiled.
dosbuilds=

; Update ZSNES source (0 = NO, 1 = Yes)
; Retrieves latest source code from the Subversion repository.
updatesource=

; Update to a particular revision (0 = NO, 1 = Yes)
; Allows you to specify a specific revision of the source code.
latestrevision=

etc.
An answer left blank means the process stops and you are prompted with the unanswered question, which would be the default. A yes or no response (that has been entered into the cfg file) will carry out that task and move on to the next task. This would eliminate the need of the workaround with the bat and txt file if you want to automate compiling with specific preset responses, and integrate it into zget.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

franpa wrote:a suggestion, can ZGET 4.x or 5.x (whatever) refer to a config file which contains the default values for each question asked and also includes the option to auto answer the questions via using the default answers specified in the config file?
clements thats what i was after :D
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Clements wrote:This would eliminate the need of the workaround with the bat and txt file if you want to automate compiling with specific preset responses, and integrate it into zget.
Same difference, no?

Post by franpa »

the text file is the same :) and it never was a work-a-round... im content with what it is at the moment but having a config file laid out like clements suggested would be easier/better.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa wrote:the text file is the same :) and it never was a work-a-round... im content with what it is at the moment but having a config file laid out like clements suggested would be easier/better.
Workaround is a whole word. Look it in the dictionary while you are at it.

Nach, to the other users who want to use the system, it is much simpler to them to use a cfg file than a less than obvious method of inserting the answers via a batch file (the perception sucks). Meh...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

its easier to read with the hyphens in it.

workaround
work-a-round
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa wrote:its easier to read with the hyphens in it.

workaround
work-a-round
This post needs an award.