adventure_of_link's adventures in the OSX realm

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

adventure_of_link's adventures in the OSX realm

Post by adventure_of_link »

So recently I've taken my first steps into going OSX full-time. It's a iMac, Intel core i5 gen4 (2.7GHz), intel iris graphics with 1GB v-ram, 8GB RAM, 1TB mechanical HDD, OSX Maverick 10.9.1. pretty basic (especially considering more advanced models use nVidia graphics, have a faster and/or higher number after the i in the CPU name, SSD as an option but at best you only get 512GB, and ultimately zomg bigger screen yo), but gets most if not nearly everything I do on a computer done well. :)

Yes, indeed it does take some getting used to (CTRL does NOT work cut copy and paste; that's on the command key, all the menus overlapping one another up top (eg: upon log in you get the finder menu but when you open firefox the firefox menu takes its place, etc), app installation, even turning the darn thing on)... but I REALLY must question why Apple decided to put the power button on the back of the screen.. what happened to the front? This stumped me for a little bit after unboxing the thing. How the F was I supposed to figure this out initially?! Furthermore the mouse you are given can be configured to use to right click and left click -- yay two button mice by default on a Mac!!! I also like how the scroll wheel is replaced by a finger gesture around the middle part of the mouse.. move it up and down and it acts just like the scroll wheel does.

I must also say performance wise it kicks ass. I can emulate super smash bros with good framerate and graphics, very minimal lag. Additionally I can play Goldeneye 007 (N64) without it slowing the fuck down and/or with glitched graphics... I recommend using sixtyforce, it's well worth it IMHO.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Re: adventure_of_link's adventures in the OSX realm

Post by kode54 »

Welcome to Mac Land. When I first opened this, I half expected you to be reporting on Hackintosh installation experiences. Not too shabby. It even sounds as if you got a Magic Mouse with it. That is a sweet little gadget.

May I recommend you take a look at the experimental build of OpenEmu 1.0? It is a sweet multi-system emulator, and it has a mupen64 based core for Nintendo 64. That core will eventually use Glide64, once they get that plugin working, but for now, it uses RiceVideo, which is not too bad. It also has controller presets for a lot of different game pads for every supported system.

Other handy hotkeys to know, since you've already discovered command-ZXCV, I'll give you next/previous word. In Windows and Linux and just about everywhere else, it's ctrl-left/right. In Mac OS, it's Alt or Option with Left or Right arrow. Also, using the home/end/pageup/pagedown keys from Terminal.app, you must hold Shift to send them to the terminal, which is the opposite of Linux, which has you hold the Shift key to use those keys to page through the scrollback buffer.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

LOL MAC
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

I have my keyboard set up so that the function keys don't act as function keys. If you've got your mac set up this way you can press F3 and it will show you all the apps and finder windows you've got open and you can click on the one you want to go to. I find this very handy for jumping between stuff(it also allows me to quickly adjust the volume and screen/keyboard brightness as I need to).

If you want to set you keyboard up this way just go to system preferences then go into keyboard and uncheck the box marked "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as function keys".

If you've set your keyboard up this way you can still use those keys as function keys by holding down the 'fn' button and pressing any of the function keys.

You can also leave that box checked and it will be inverted. Which means that pressing F3 will act as F3, whereas pressing 'fn+F3" will allow you to see all of your running apps and finder windows.

About your mouse...
If you're using one of those official apple mouses, you can go into system preferences/mouse and you should be able to calibrate it how you like. By default some mac mouses have both the left and right mouse button as the primary button, you probably want the right button to be a secondary, so that you'll be able to right click stuff. This is handy for a number of things, I mostly use it to right click on the finder icon in the tray and open up multiple finder windows.

Also you can disable those damn side mouse buttons in the preferences/mouse section, if you mouse has those.

P.S
I'm using OSX 10.6.8 so apple might have moved things around but I should be able to help you out with anything if you have any more mac questions. I've been using macs for over six years now and there is a bit of a learning curve at first, but I genuinely work faster now in a mac environment then I would on a windows based machine.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

kode54 wrote:Welcome to Mac Land. When I first opened this, I half expected you to be reporting on Hackintosh installation experiences. Not too shabby. It even sounds as if you got a Magic Mouse with it. That is a sweet little gadget.
Hahahahaha, I recently stumbled upon a hackintosh wiki and there seems to be a bunch of high maintenance/cryptic bullshit that tends to go with building a hackintosh (specific hardware, etc). I'd like to do a hackintosh one day, but for now I think I'll pass, cuz I got the real deal. :) and so that's what the new mac mice are called.. huh.
kode54 wrote:May I recommend you take a look at the experimental build of OpenEmu 1.0? It is a sweet multi-system emulator, and it has a mupen64 based core for Nintendo 64. That core will eventually use Glide64, once they get that plugin working, but for now, it uses RiceVideo, which is not too bad. It also has controller presets for a lot of different game pads for every supported system.
Yes, I've already got OpenEmu thanks to Ichinisan from here, and another friend's recommendation. indeed, it does look pretty slick, heck I've been playing loads of virtual boy and getting my eyes hurt in the process...
kode54 wrote:Other handy hotkeys to know, since you've already discovered command-ZXCV, I'll give you next/previous word. In Windows and Linux and just about everywhere else, it's ctrl-left/right. In Mac OS, it's Alt or Option with Left or Right arrow. Also, using the home/end/pageup/pagedown keys from Terminal.app, you must hold Shift to send them to the terminal, which is the opposite of Linux, which has you hold the Shift key to use those keys to page through the scrollback buffer.
Gonzo wrote:really good mac advice as well
Thanks for the advice fellas. Now if only I can figure out how iMovie works and how to move/re-arrainge clips in my story line as well as split videos (seriously, whatever happened to putting the marker where you wanna split then invoke the command, or even drag and drop to re-arrainge your clips?) that'd be great. Furthermore the video quality on my Mac's camera is actually pretty good.
Gonzo wrote:About your mouse...
If you're using one of those official apple mouses, you can go into system preferences/mouse and you should be able to calibrate it how you like. By default some mac mouses have both the left and right mouse button as the primary button, you probably want the right button to be a secondary, so that you'll be able to right click stuff. This is handy for a number of things, I mostly use it to right click on the finder icon in the tray and open up multiple finder windows.
Mouses lol... mice bro, mice. :P Additionally, yes, I already had a friend help me set that up; I had no idea Macs eventually use double-buttons until he showed me.
Gonzo wrote:Also you can disable those damn side mouse buttons in the preferences/mouse section, if you mouse has those.
nope, no side buttons on this mouse. Guess next to the Mac mini I got lowest of the low eh?
Gonzo wrote:P.S
I'm using OSX 10.6.8 so apple might have moved things around but I should be able to help you out with anything if you have any more mac questions. I've been using macs for over six years now and there is a bit of a learning curve at first, but I genuinely work faster now in a mac environment then I would on a windows based machine.
What's wrong with upgrading to Maverick? Is Apple STILL playing that game where you have to have the latest hardware in order to update the OS and apps? :evil: :evil: :evil: (this, for the longest of time gentlemen was one of my pet peeves of macs. with a PC I can still use, say, windows XP or hell even 7 for ten or so years, no problem. On a mac, unless it's less than a year old, buy new shit or no updates for you. OTOH they kept the power PC support going till OSX 10.6 I think, so...)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

adventure_of_link wrote: Mouses lol... mice bro, mice. :P
Yeah, that's just an old habit I picked up years ago when an IT trainer used to go mental if anyone referred to the the plural of a computer mouse as 'mice'. I still hear the screaming in my head to this day.
adventure_of_link wrote: Now if only I can figure out how iMovie...
haha, I can't help you there. I'm a film editor by trade and I refuse to use imovie. Or to talk about it in any serious manner.

Basically it's kind of a joke in editing circles, even more so than movie maker. I think youtube tutorials would be your best bet, unless Kode or someone else here is actually familiar with it.
adventure_of_link wrote: What's wrong with upgrading to Maverick?
Eh, I haven't upgraded for a number of reasons, top of the list being laziness I guess. The next big issue for me was compatibility issues. A couple of years ago a friend of mine upgrade to 10.7 and he had the same laptop as me(and I mean the exact same laptop, we both went to the same film school and got our laptops as part of deal between our film school and Apple). After upgrading he found that his copies of Adobe Master Suite and Final Cut Pro weren't loading properly anymore, so he ended up have to downgrade back to 10.6. Apparently it was some sort of bug that has been long since fixed now.

I had also heard a rumour that Apple were going to make it so that Final Cut Pro 7 wouldn't be compatible with future versions of OSX so as to force people to switch over to Final Cut X(and don't even get me started on Final Cut X, there are still a lot of editors who are pissed off about what happened there). I've since found out that they didn't end up doing that and I can now install my copy of Final Cut Pro on newer macs.
Last edited by Gonzo on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gonzo wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote: Mouses lol... mice bro, mice. :P
Yeah, that's just an old habit I picked up years ago when an IT trainer used to go mental if anyone referred to the the plural of a computer mouse as 'mice'. I still hear the screaming in my head to this day.
Meeses.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:LOL MAC
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Gonzo wrote:I had also heard a rumour that Apple were going to make it so that Final Cut Pro 7 wouldn't be compatible with future versions of OSX so as to force people to switch over to Final Cut X(and don't even get me started on Final Cut X, there are still a lot of editors who are pissed off about what happened there). I've since found out that they didn't end up doing that and I can now install my copy of Final Cut Pro on newer macs.
Bro you already got me started on that one pet peeve about needing the latest hardware to get the latest OS/apps... good to know that Apple still continues this. :evil:
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:Welcome to Mac Land. When I first opened this, I half expected you to be reporting on Hackintosh installation experiences. Not too shabby. It even sounds as if you got a Magic Mouse with it. That is a sweet little gadget.
Hahahahaha, I recently stumbled upon a hackintosh wiki and there seems to be a bunch of high maintenance/cryptic bullshit that tends to go with building a hackintosh (specific hardware, etc). I'd like to do a hackintosh one day, but for now I think I'll pass, cuz I got the real deal. :)
Actually, all that crypto bullshit is mostly unnecessary. For the most part, you just need to use something like Unibeast plus the 10.9 installer to create a USB install boot drive (8GB or larger flash or hard drive). Then you chuck the latest MultiBeast 6.x for Mavericks on there. Boot it up, and if you got to the installer, you're almost golden. You'll then need to invoke the Disk Utility and prepare a large enough HFS+ partition on a GPT partitioned disk, or repartition a disk for it. Once you've managed to install, you'll need to use the USB disk's boot menu to boot into it for the first time, so you can prepare it for self booting with the copy of MultiBeast you kept handy on the install media. Hopefully you also know which ALCxxx onboard audio you have, whether you need third party SATA drivers, TRIM support for SSDs, whether your Ethernet NIC is supported natively or by the drivers bundled with MultiBeast, and whether you need to make any other odd changes with it. Handy that you can also include system monitoring plugins and a HWMonitor app with that tool, so you can monitor your clocks, temperatures, and fans, as well as batteries in attached devices.

I got lucky in that both of the machines I bought with little to no regard for Hackintosh support happened to be fully supported with little to no extra preparation required, and now I have two fully running hacks equipped with 10.9.1, both "Mac Pro" machines, since there's really nothing corresponding to either of my builds, and that's the Unibeast/MultiBeast default for desktop builds.
adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:May I recommend you take a look at the experimental build of OpenEmu 1.0? It is a sweet multi-system emulator, and it has a mupen64 based core for Nintendo 64. That core will eventually use Glide64, once they get that plugin working, but for now, it uses RiceVideo, which is not too bad. It also has controller presets for a lot of different game pads for every supported system.
Yes, I've already got OpenEmu thanks to Ichinisan from here, and another friend's recommendation. indeed, it does look pretty slick, heck I've been playing loads of virtual boy and getting my eyes hurt in the process...
You mean it doesn't support displaying the graphics in white instead of red? Ugh!
adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:Other handy hotkeys to know, since you've already discovered command-ZXCV, I'll give you next/previous word. In Windows and Linux and just about everywhere else, it's ctrl-left/right. In Mac OS, it's Alt or Option with Left or Right arrow. Also, using the home/end/pageup/pagedown keys from Terminal.app, you must hold Shift to send them to the terminal, which is the opposite of Linux, which has you hold the Shift key to use those keys to page through the scrollback buffer.
Gonzo wrote:really good mac advice as well
Thanks for the advice fellas. Now if only I can figure out how iMovie works and how to move/re-arrainge clips in my story line as well as split videos (seriously, whatever happened to putting the marker where you wanna split then invoke the command, or even drag and drop to re-arrainge your clips?) that'd be great. Furthermore the video quality on my Mac's camera is actually pretty good.
I may be able to help with iMovie.

I think the way it works, rather than splitting videos, you have to add the same video twice, then adjust the range included in each instance by dragging the ends inward, then lining them up end to end when you've selected what you want. I'm amazed it even works for whatever videos you have, since when I tried to use the version before Mavericks came out, it only really supported importing .DV camera video files of fixed frame rate and relatively weak compression.
adventure_of_link wrote:
Gonzo wrote:About your mouse...
Mouses lol... mice bro, mice. :P Additionally, yes, I already had a friend help me set that up; I had no idea Macs eventually use double-buttons until he showed me.
Gonzo wrote:Also you can disable those damn side mouse buttons in the preferences/mouse section, if you mouse has those.
nope, no side buttons on this mouse. Guess next to the Mac mini I got lowest of the low eh?
Actually, side buttons was the previous Apple mouse, the Mighty Mouse, which had a tiny scroll trackball in the top center. This one, the Magic Mouse, has a complete multitouch surface on the top of the mouse. It only has one button, but clicks depending on where your finger(s) are when you press the mouse. It also has a stock set of gestures which you may enable or disable from the Mouse PrefPane, including one finger vertical and horizontal scrolling, one finger swiping to navigate between web pages in your browser (complete with swiping animation if you use Safari), two finger swiping between desktops, and two finger tapping (not clicking) to activate the Mission Control feature that Gonzo mentioned above. I also suggest you install Better Touch Tool, a free app for configuring all of Apple's multitouch pointing devices, which also supports adding alternate gestures. You can even change the margins of threshold for the touch clicking to control where left ends and then where right begins separately, and even define the margin between the two as a middle click. Or even add app specific gestures.
adventure_of_link wrote:
Gonzo wrote:P.S
What's wrong with upgrading to Maverick? Is Apple STILL playing that game where you have to have the latest hardware in order to update the OS and apps? :evil: :evil: :evil: (this, for the longest of time gentlemen was one of my pet peeves of macs. with a PC I can still use, say, windows XP or hell even 7 for ten or so years, no problem. On a mac, unless it's less than a year old, buy new shit or no updates for you. OTOH they kept the power PC support going till OSX 10.6 I think, so...)
My mom's Macbook only supports 10.7, and only if I bug Apple's support to sell me a download code for it, since it's no longer featured prominently on the App Store. So for now, it's stuck with 10.6.8. It can't go past 10.7.x because that's the last version to support 32 bit kernels and 32 bit kernel extensions, and they never made 64 bit kext drivers for the original Intel GMA 950 and such, so upgrades are a no-go.

As for my Hacks, well, at the time, Hack, I updated to 10.9 painlessly using the newest Unibeast, reinstalled boot and newer versions of the support drivers with MultiBeast, and continued running perfectly. 10.9.1 even installed from the App Store without a hitch or the usual "repair permissions" bullshit that isn't really necessary if you've installed your third party extensions properly. That is to say, if you ever had any to install manually, you would either use the simple Drag and Drop app, Kext Wizard, or you would use Terminal.app, sudo cp -R path/to/the.kext /System/Library/Extensions or whichever path it told you to stick it in. cp -R, rather than using Finder to drag and copy, creates the copy with the permissions of the target directory, which is 755/644 owned by root:wheel. That way, you never botch extensions.

I recently re-hacked my old desktop machine, which I previously hacked with 10.7 years ago, but later reinstalled Windows on afterward, because some nice person offered me money to stop using Mac OS X. Heh.

Anyway, further info. If you should ever want to attach an Xbox360 controller, or Wireless Receiver for Windows, the only real choice is Tattiebogle's driver, which has an unfortunate problem of needing the system to be rebooted to activate it, and then not supporting hotplugging of the Wireless Receiver. You know, in case you ever decide to unplug it, or if you're using a VM product such as VMWare Fusion or my preferred choice, Parallels Desktop, and switch the Receiver over to a Windows VM to play a game inside of it. It will switch in and back out again, and back in again as many times as you want. But you'll need to reboot to use it from the host machine again, because the driver is stupid. I never got word back from the author about that problem, either.

I recall some alternate version of the driver, designed with a different button presentation than Tattiebogle's, and that one supported Receiver hotplugging, I think. Too bad I can't find it any more.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Okay, so to hopefully break the trend (or perhaps adding to it?) of off-topic VR and made up pedophiling fat guys that are jolly... I figured out some things:

1. how to work iMovie. Instead of being like Windows Live Movie Maker, where you open it up and a new project starts by default and you can add clips/photos/music/etc and edit from there, you first have to import stuff to a library, THEN start a new project. you can't edit clips directly in the library, you have to import them into the new project's story board. *sigh*

and 2. I have an issue where my Mac won't stay asleep with the PS3 controller hooked up. Anyone got any workarounds for this (other than disable that BT wake feature and use the power button to wake it up)?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote: and 2. I have an issue where my Mac won't stay asleep with the PS3 controller hooked up. Anyone got any workarounds for this (other than disable that BT wake feature and use the power button to wake it up)?
Use a grown-up computer.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote: and 2. I have an issue where my Mac won't stay asleep with the PS3 controller hooked up. Anyone got any workarounds for this (other than disable that BT wake feature and use the power button to wake it up)?
Use a grown-up computer.
Disconnect the controller when you're done with it. There are two ways you can do this. 1) From the BlueTooth menu bar icon. 2) By holding the PS logo button on the controller for 10 seconds. Beware of method 2 if you're running Steam for Mac OS X, as holding the PS button for that long has the effect of causing Steam to come to the foreground and activate Big Picture mode.

I always disconnect my PS3 controllers when I'm done with them, to conserve power, since Apple's little built-in driver for them doesn't automatically power these controllers off like a real PS3 does. Always check the BT menu for connected devices.

Your Magic Mouse will power down on its own and should not prevent sleep.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

kode54 wrote:Disconnect the controller when you're done with it. There are two ways you can do this. 1) From the BlueTooth menu bar icon. 2) By holding the PS logo button on the controller for 10 seconds. Beware of method 2 if you're running Steam for Mac OS X, as holding the PS button for that long has the effect of causing Steam to come to the foreground and activate Big Picture mode.
Yeah, sounds good... honestly I'm getting tired of sleep mode taking forever to wake up with just the power button and somehow my mac making a popup for finding the keyboard when I still have to turn that on anyway and LONG before I get to this screen I can still enter my password just fine.

Also I don't run Steam so no worries there.
kode54 wrote:I always disconnect my PS3 controllers when I'm done with them, to conserve power, since Apple's little built-in driver for them doesn't automatically power these controllers off like a real PS3 does. Always check the BT menu for connected devices.
Additionally the LED handling is all wrong... sometimes it flashes all four lights or none at all. if it would only show one solid light to indicate which controller is which (like it is on Android), let alone not flash any lights at all 100% of the time and I can get a battery meter in the BT menu that'd be great. Furthermore I tend to disconnect my PS3 controller from my Android when I'm done with that too.
kode54 wrote:Your Magic Mouse will power down on its own and should not prevent sleep.
Right, that's what mine does :)
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I have the fortune to be using one of those Atheros bluetooth adapters that requires a firmware blob, and OS X doesn't have that blob. So I have to attach the device to a VM running either Windows or Linux after cold booting my machine before OS X can actually connect to anything through it.

I also had some BT 3.0 capable Intel adapter, but that didn't really work any better either. I hear you really have to pick the hardware out directly when buying Hackintosh parts, rather than going with the luck of the draw and just buying what looks like good hardware for a general use PC.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

kode54 wrote:I hear you really have to pick the hardware out directly when buying Hackintosh parts, rather than going with the luck of the draw and just buying what looks like good hardware for a general use PC.
And this is what I was speaking of when I mentioned crpytic, high maintenance bullshit in your first reply to me. :|
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

And I may or may not have mentioned that I went purely by luck of the draw, and ended up with a fully working machine. Well, except for my discrete sound hardware, which was totally unsupported, so I removed that and put it away.