Tv screens ideas for zsnes on pc.

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

T-Doomdays
Rookie

Tv screens ideas for zsnes on pc.

Post by T-Doomdays »

aperture1x2rb

aperture1x3rb

aperture2x4bg

aperture2x4rb

aperture4x6

I know Mame can do this. But why not zsnes to load the sample png image tv effects onto the game screen? These samples are in png image and small. This will save time on the coding the effects which nolonger need to be coding in anymore. Plus don't have to worry about the effects breaking anything. That would be awsome. :D
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Well, ZSNES already has a NTSC filter.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Damn, and I still have yet to use the NTSC filter while using my TV-out :lol:
Poobah
Lurker

Post by Poobah »

snkcube wrote:Well, ZSNES already has a NTSC filter.
I think the NTSC filter is all ZSNES needs; it looks better than a TV at 2048x1536!
byuu

Post by byuu »

I'm interested. Where are these PNGs located?

I was wondering why MAME supported rendering translucent PNGs on top of the output. Guess I have my answer now :)
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Here's my RGB phosphor simulation. It'll only look good on an LCD monitor, due to the need to have precise control over the output pixels. It properly duplicates the vertical lines effect in solid primary colors (red, green, blue) and the general mix of colors for composite colors, including white.

The filter is simple: darken the green component of odd pixels by 50%, and the red and blue components of even pixels by 50%.
Last edited by blargg on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T-Doomdays
Rookie

Post by T-Doomdays »

byuu wrote:I'm interested. Where are these PNGs located?

I was wondering why MAME supported rendering translucent PNGs on top of the output. Guess I have my answer now :)
At the Mame website in the download page. These png are with the Mame build. You should find those in the c:\mame\artwork. Aaron Giles made these I think. If you have any question byuu about these I sure he can give you all the infos about different screens effects. You will be image on these good screen effects for PC screen. :D
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

No offense to the person who made the NTSC filter but... I've never seen a TV that looked that bad. From the crappy old ones to the brand new oens; none of them look as crappy as that filter.
Poobah
Lurker

Post by Poobah »

Nearly all TVs here in Australia look like that. And of all the filters ZSNES has, I think that one does the best job of hiding the fact that a low internal resolution is being used.
gord
Rookie

Post by gord »

personally i have never had a tv that displays like any 'tv mode' that i have ever seen in any emulator, including the NTSC filter in zsnes, maybe its just a NTSC thing (i live in the PAL region [UK]) but my tv here sure does not have dark scanlines or any of that other junk. the only filter that comes anywhere near to matching my tv's output (and believe me, its just a cheep crap tv i got for 20 quid or so) is AdvanceMames 'filter' mode, i even went as far as to check the arcade version of sonic 2 with the filter mode on my monitor against my copy of sonic 2 on my tv.

screenies: (filter on right)
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Uh, maybe it doesn't look like your TV because it's called the NTSC FILTER, not the PAL filter? Just a thought.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

The filter uses calculations from a NTSC output to a NTSC TV.

If u use the options correctly to simulate scart output, and disable all artifacts and scanlines it starts to resemble pal.

As far as i know blargg doesnt yet have pal hardware to make a pal version of the filter.
geoslake
Rookie

Post by geoslake »

All those filters are really great ! I usually use "rgb micro" in mame though...
Having such filters in zsnes would be cooool. I like Blargg ntsc too, although his RGB phosphor simulation looks even better, it seems !
Looking forward.
byuu

Post by byuu »

"You have gained 0.1 points in the Thread Necromancy skill"

The biggest problem with this simulation in SNES emulators is that the default aspect ratio is 8:7 instead of 4:3, so your moons and suns look like ovals, your character portraits look like the people are 8' tall, etc.

If you apply a filter like this, and then stretch the image to fix the aspect ratio, the resulting image looks horrendous.
JoeFramedKeller

Post by JoeFramedKeller »

The reason that I play games on Zsnes rather than just my console in the first place is the fact that I think they look much more appealing all crisp and clean on my computer screen, as opposed to on televisions. Ever try plugging an older system into a 65" HDTV? Yeah, not pretty. Emulation, you're a god-send
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

"You have gained 9.9 points in the Thread Necromancy skill"

Now stop doing this immediately.