Once again, my School's Internet...

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Once again, my School's Internet...

Post by kevman »

So my school got a new ISP last year, completely fixing any problems we had with it and giving everyone really good bandwidth.

Not content with giving students half-decent internet connections, however, the school admins decided to set up some sort of socket-limiting software or something this week. This, they figure, would make the Internet completely useless again and all would be good.

Of course, that leaves me and my companions with a problem: How to get around this giant mess.

I do not know exactly what they did, but here are the symptoms:

MacOSx and Windows running computers get connections. They are limited to about 30kilobit down and 1400 up, but they at least work. Sites work, AIM works, games work if you don't mind uselessly bad lag...

BUT, some Linux computers have extremely limited connectivity. My PC will load Google and connect to IRC and AIM. But that's it. Nothing else works at all. Its not DNS; it manages to resolve the IPs, it just can't get any data from it. My friend's laptop is the same way.

Reboot the PC into Windows, and everything is fine. This is even true behind a router. Does anyone have any idea of a setting in Gentoo to get my connections back? Or anything specific I should at the admins about? What could cause this?
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

What I did to bypass my college's proxy servers back in the day was just hardcode my IP address, DNS and gateway to just go around them and straight to the main router and DNS servers. That may or may not work in your situation, depending on the network setup, though. I also had an unfair advantage in that I worked a lot with the network administrator and knew the addresses needed to do it.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that stuff is physically seperated from my network, with the firewall or whatever it is bridging them.

There's no "main router" I think. My IP is my own. My school leases a class B in order to get the needed amount of IPs.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.