Flash based storage.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

SquareHead
Veteran

Flash based storage.

Post by SquareHead »

So I was reading through Tom's Hardware, and even though flash storage is not new by any means, would anyone think of using this in a setup. 32 gig isnt big, and ata/66 isnt all that fast, but I could see where this would be most useful.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I believe that this technology will eventually be the successor to hard drives. It's just still too expensive, but it will come down with time. Hard drives are growing very large, but there speed is still pretty poor as opposed to everything else in the computer. It's the weak link for many computing tasks.

However, I wouldn't buy this unit just yet. I don't know why they handicapped it at ATA66. That's an outdated standard now. Maybe it's unreliable at higher speeds? It's clear that it can max out ATA66, so why cap it at that?

It would be a more serious contender with ATA133 or even SATA300 which could REALLY ramp up performance assuming it was able to max out those standards as well.

It's tempting, but I just don't think it's time yet. This technology isn't quite ready.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
PFUNK
Rookie

Post by PFUNK »

I remember reading in an article out in the internet somewhere a limitation to flash storage. Namely, there are a certain number of times data may be written to flash storage before it breaks down. So on the one hand there's that, but on the other, conventional hard drives will fail over time as well (due to their mechanical writing design).

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but which of the two will eventually prove longest lasting?
I'm hot for you and you're hot for me ooka dooka dicka dee.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

PFUNK wrote:I remember reading in an article out in the internet somewhere a limitation to flash storage. Namely, there are a certain number of times data may be written to flash storage before it breaks down.
I'm surprised this isn't "common knowledge" yet.

Depends on the size and depth and material that makes up the storage cells. Typically they are rated for 100, 10 thousand, or 1 million write cycles. You can destroy a flash memory cell in less than a second by just constantly erasing and writing to that cell.

One can already take a Compact Flash drive and use it as a HDD with an adapter. Search for "Compact Flash to IDE adapter". I just wish Microsoft would release XP embedded for a desktop PC (that will never happen) to avoid the whole write durability issues.
Mr. Business

Post by Mr. Business »

From what I gather, solid-state hard drives can be purchased right now, albeit for a hefty sum.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Mr. Business wrote:From what I gather, solid-state hard drives can be purchased right now, albeit for a hefty sum.
But they all have their drawbacks. They're either based on SDRAM, which will lose its data if it loses power, or flash, which wears out after about a million write cycles.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

That's pretty nifty.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]