Replacing the 72-pin NES connector

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

frombauer

Replacing the 72-pin NES connector

Post by frombauer »

I recently acquired a NES console, very nice, has the original packaging in mint condition, manuals, posters, etc.

However the console itself is not so good, the AV connectors are a little rusty and the 72pin connector is busted, it's a pain to get games to work (i have quite a few mint cartridges), I get distorted picture, blinking lights, gray screen, etc.

There are several new connector for sale on Ebay, and the assembly seems simple (no soldering req.), but there are several types available, including regular, premium, and gold plated connectors.

Does anyone have experience with this, and can recommend me a good connector?

Thanks!
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

the NES's design doesn't help things - how much force does a kid use to put a cart in - a fair bit, and how much moisture gets into that connector when the cart doesn't work right?

Im assuming its one of those front loading NES's, I wouldn't bother spending money on anything more than the regular connector.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

Another thing you might want to consider is getting a tiny little screwdriver in there and bending the contacts up. It's a fairly simple process; I did it one night last year to fix a friend's NES, and most of my time was spent trying to remove the phillipshead screws with a flathead driver.

Check out this link for instructions.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
frombauer

Post by frombauer »

I opened up the NES just now, the connector is in very bad shape, the metal contacts are actually "eroded", like they were eaten up by corrosion and/or attrition. I'll order anyone, they're cheap, and see what happens.

Meanwhile I'll try bending the contacts up.
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

I ordered a few off ebay last year, I didn't order anything special, just a normal cheap one, and the different was like night and day. Buy one and throw it in there, you won't be disappointed.
~Bent
frombauer

Post by frombauer »

I slightly bent the pins from the old connector like Cypher sugested. It's A LOT better now, just now and then the game doesn't boot, but I'm ordering the new connector anyway.

Thanks guys.