HP Pavilion a305w computer build project

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

HP Pavilion a305w computer build project

Post by adventure_of_link »

So as y'all know, I got the mac to replace this particular desktop when it died out on me. Now, I've been toying with the idea of ripping everything out and overhauling as much of the system as possible.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=23821912 -- as/is this is my potential shopping list. (feel free to Google this particular computer model for more info on sizing, etc.) Other than a version of Windows (has 8.1 improved things or is 7 home premium or ultimate still the way to go? additionally I will be re-using the USB keyboard and mouse from its previous setup as well as hopefully direct plug-n-play or cut-n-splice of the front USB 2.0 ports to re-use those), am I missing anything? Did I do something wrong? Will everything align and use properly? and furthermore, for whatever reason the CPU I listed has intel integrated graphics support, however I'm using a dedicated video card. Does this matter or can it be safely ignored?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: HP Pavilion a305w computer build project

Post by odditude »

that's not a public wishlist link.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

All modern Intel CPUs have integrated graphics. It's unused if unneeded.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

odditude wrote:that's not a public wishlist link.
it is now -- check the OP again, I fixed it. Apparently despite having the shared checkmark in the shared column it still insists on setting the URL for the wishlist to the private one by default. -shrugs-

Remember kids, to make a wishlist public, you need to do the following:

1. make a wishlist.
2. make it public.
3. take the wishlist ID (the eight numbers in the last part of the URL) and prefix them with this: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... istNumber=

(of course you'll need to right click the URL and copy it from there, apparently the board insists on using secure.newegg.com/WishList ... Detail.aspx or whatever.)
paulguy wrote:All modern Intel CPUs have integrated graphics. It's unused if unneeded.
ah, good to know, thanks. :) was gonna say this is gonna have its own video card and unless for whatever reason my build uses Iris graphics why would I ever want to use Intel integrated garbage graphics? :?

EDIT: apparently I missed that the initial drive in question (this one) would NOT have fit anyway, this is a SAS and here's a hybrid drive with SATA... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822178381
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Okay. So along with this rebuilt box I wanna get a TV Capture card... been meaning to get one for the longest time now. Keep in mind:

* I want it to be compatible with Mac OSX AND Windows 7
* my Mac doesn't have an ability to use HDMI, and it can't use cards (lol iMac)
* Sounds like the only thing it would be feasable to use is USB 3.0 which apparently both units can use

Out of these.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... isNodeId=1

Which are any good?
NSRT here.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Do you need to capture HD or will SD capture do? Digital or analog?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

paulguy wrote:Do you need to capture HD or will SD capture do?

Either or will do, but I have a preference for HD.
paulguy wrote:Digital or analog?
Digital for sure. who uses that analog stuff nowadays :P
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote: Digital for sure. who uses that analog stuff nowadays :P
As I've yet to see the SNES with HDMI output...
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Yeah, don't even know what you're intending to capture.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The souls of the world's supply of butter sticks.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Elgato makes this for analog composite or S-Video capture, and this for analog component and unprotected HDMI capture. Both are line powered USB devices, and both are fully supported on Windows and Mac, but forget about Linux. I already asked them about that, and they did say that libusb was too slow for their needs, so they'd be forced to make their own kernel modules to support it there. They're fully committed to both Windows and Mac, though.

Oh, right, and the component game capture device also has HDMI passthrough, so you can capture an analog source such as the Wii or PS3 (PS3's HDMI output is HDCP protected, even when running games), and feed it directly to HDMI input on your display.

As for capturing video from the iMac, it may have a mini DisplayPort for an external monitor, and many vendors, including Apple, provide adapters which can convert that to HDMI. Or you could capture in software, using CamTwist to either capture a whole screen, or just a particular window, regardless of whatever is overlapping it, using any other capture or streaming software, such as the poor but occasionally useful Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder, which is also free with registration.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote: Digital for sure. who uses that analog stuff nowadays :P
As I've yet to see the SNES with HDMI output...
oh fudge, I totally forgot about that (OTOH I got rid of my SNES years ago tho)
kode54 wrote:Elgato makes this for analog composite or S-Video capture, and this for analog component and unprotected HDMI capture. Both are line powered USB devices, and both are fully supported on Windows and Mac, but forget about Linux. I already asked them about that, and they did say that libusb was too slow for their needs, so they'd be forced to make their own kernel modules to support it there. They're fully committed to both Windows and Mac, though.
Neat, I may have to give this a go.. (although Linux on this new computer is completely NOT out of the question, it'll be nice to have full-time-ish Linux for sure...)
kode54 wrote:Oh, right, and the component game capture device also has HDMI passthrough, so you can capture an analog source such as the Wii or PS3 (PS3's HDMI output is HDCP protected, even when running games), and feed it directly to HDMI input on your display.
Didn't know PS3 was all analog.. knew the Wii is though. what about Wii U and backwards compatability with the Wii?
kode54 wrote:As for capturing video from the iMac, it may have a mini DisplayPort for an external monitor, and many vendors, including Apple, provide adapters which can convert that to HDMI. Or you could capture in software, using CamTwist to either capture a whole screen, or just a particular window, regardless of whatever is overlapping it, using any other capture or streaming software, such as the poor but occasionally useful Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder, which is also free with registration.
Thanks man. what would this particular port look like? I only have a couple thunderbolt ports (for god only knows what they do and what they're for) and four USB 3.0 ports.
NSRT here.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:Oh, right, and the component game capture device also has HDMI passthrough, so you can capture an analog source such as the Wii or PS3 (PS3's HDMI output is HDCP protected, even when running games), and feed it directly to HDMI input on your display.
Didn't know PS3 was all analog.. knew the Wii is though.
uh, what? the PS3 isn't all analog. like kode said, the HDMI output is HDCP-protected, so if you want to do video capture you'd use the component output.
adventure_of_link wrote:what about Wii U and backwards compatability with the Wii?
...eh?
adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:As for capturing video from the iMac, it may have a mini DisplayPort...
Thanks man. what would this particular port look like? I only have a couple thunderbolt ports (for god only knows what they do and what they're for) and four USB 3.0 ports.
Thunderbolt uses mDP as its form factor and is capable of carrying a DP signal (which is how the Thunderbolt display gets its image).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

If you want HD capture in linux, you can either look for an original Hauppauge HDPVR (not HDPVR2, unsure about "gamer edition" or whatever) which is limited to analog only capture (composite, svideo, component) or there's the blackmagic intensity pro for both analog and digital (HDMI) capture but it only has proprietary binary blob drivers and has no support through V4L so you need to use their own software and nothing else works with it (Though there is an SDK which other software can write for.).
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Not to mention that all USB capture devices can be passed through to a Windows or Mac OS X virtual machine without requiring VT-d. I recommend VMWare for that purpose, as VirtualBox's USB support can kindly fuck off and die in a fire.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Been awhile, I know...

I finally completed this project about a month ago. I made some minor tweaks (was able to find a 500w PSU to fit the case at the last second -- go figure) and I forgot if the video card is the same as it was initially or if I got a totally different card..

Whatever, it kicks ass and if only I could find out what the hell I did with one of my panels.
NSRT here.