Best way to play Star Ocean?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Champloo

Best way to play Star Ocean?

Post by Champloo »

I've got a few questions about SO. Bear in mind that i've done a few searches and there seems to be different opinions.

Firstly, the patch is final right? It seems pretty clear that no one's working on the game anymore but correct me if i'm wrong on this.

The other thing is, which emulator play SO best - SNES9X or ZSNES? I've read a lot of comments saying that SNES9X is the best way to play the game. But a few people seem to be saying that the latest versions of ZSNES work better and you don't need to use the decompression pack. Is this right?

Finally, what exactly does the decompression pack do? Or is that a stupidly complicated question?

Any help would be really appreciated.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

You can completely disregard the decompression packs. They are obsolete and unneeded.

Snes9x to the best of my knowledge would work better than ZSNES (less crashes). I'm not sure about the newer ZSNES versions. An even better choice would probably be bsnes, if you meet the system requirements.

Yes, the Dejap patch is final.

You'll also want to read http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2683 if you haven't already.
Champloo

Post by Champloo »

Cheers for the help. I'd never heard of bsnes but i've just given it a go and it seems to be working great, playing SO without any slowdown. Is it generally recognised as the best emulator for SO then?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

"Best" is very subjective. Sure, If you feel like bsnes runs Star Ocean perfectly you have all the reason to think it as the best Star Ocean emulator. Test Snes9x too, maybe you'll find that the best, who knows.
Last edited by Agozer on Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

The current Windows build of SNES9x have many bugs.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!