Laptop.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

kieran_
Mugwump

Laptop.

Post by kieran_ »

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ie/en/ho ... 65789.html

opinions on the cpu, GFX and memory would be great, and anything else would be also great and nice.

I'd like to play some games on this thing, though I am not expecting to be able to run at max settings. Sopme review said that it got pretty good framerates in Doom3. I know very little about all this, though.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

That's a good laptop (fine all-round), should be good for games similar to Doom 3 at native resolution. Price also appears to be good (for Europe).
kieran

Post by kieran »

Thanks clements. I have heard some good responses over on the boat as well. The Doom3 point is nice to hear, seeing as it is almost unplayable at 640*480 on my desktop.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Sweet machine - wait a month or two to get Vista on it though.
kieran

Post by kieran »

I don't think I want Vista... Why should I want it!? Can you give me a few reasons?
Oskar_Hanberg
Starzinger Addict

Post by Oskar_Hanberg »

kieran wrote:I don't think I want Vista... Why should I want it!? Can you give me a few reasons?
The ONLY reason to get vista is because according to uhm.. some guys.. XP will not get DX10. but other than that, its an all shitty OS.. I'd rather install windows ME than getting Vista.
"All kinds of private exploitation is theft in the sense that what exists in this world belongs to all of us, and so called 'Intellectual property', or software, is no exception to that"
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Oskar_Hanberg wrote:
kieran wrote:I don't think I want Vista... Why should I want it!? Can you give me a few reasons?
The ONLY reason to get vista is because according to uhm.. some guys.. XP will not get DX10. but other than that, its an all shitty OS.. I'd rather install windows ME than getting Vista.
No you wouldn't, unless you had the awesome ME patch that was made by quanium's boyfriend.

For reals.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Que
saskatchewanite

Post by Que »

Agozer wrote:
Oskar_Hanberg wrote:
No you wouldn't, unless you had the awesome ME patch that was made by quanium's boyfriend.

For reals.
will that ever be forgotten?
everything i say is a lie
the above line is true
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

No. :)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Oskar_Hanberg wrote:
Vista may be the most bloated thing since tubs o' butter, but WinME is the worst monstrosity of an OS... like the crappiness shat on itself.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Agozer wrote:
Oskar_Hanberg wrote:

For reals.
AGOZER WINS THE THREAD
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

Agozer wrote:
Oskar_Hanberg wrote:

For reals.
What why didn't I hear of this...oh right i was MIA...
class:Trolololo
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

It's better than XP. I've been using RC2 for a month, and the final for a few days now, and it's just way better than XP. I can't give too many specifics, it just feels a lot better overall. You're going to love the Aero interface with that 3d card too. Remember, system resources exist to be used - you may as well put them to good use. Vista isn't an amazing OS, but it's clearly a marked improvement over XP. It's better looking, the search function is actually useful, and it does a lot of things better. The built in gadgets are nice too, if you're a fan of Desktop X.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

casualsax3 wrote:
It's better than XP. I've been using RC2 for a month, and the final for a few days now, and it's just way better than XP. I can't give too many specifics, it just feels a lot better overall. You're going to love the Aero interface with that 3d card too. Remember, system resources exist to be used - you may as well put them to good use. Vista isn't an amazing OS, but it's clearly a marked improvement over XP. It's better looking, the search function is actually useful, and it does a lot of things better. The built in gadgets are nice too, if you're a fan of Desktop X.
Yes, system resources are meant to be used, but OS upgrades are not an reason to buy more system resources - most of what aero can do does not need a DX9 card - apple has being doing that with much less at the start of the decade

If MS sold vista for 50 bux for its high-end version, then it would be worth it, but you are getting nothing much more than a flashy, accelerated GUI that really adds nothing to the user experience.

And it took them 4 years to do just that. Don't give MS the money.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

yeah he's right about the comparable performance drain Vista makes. Aero isn't really all that impressive compared to other things like mac os x and linux's beryl and xgl. those others have much more impressive effects but can run on much lower hardware. I know that the linux one can run decent on a geforce 2 whereas Aero requires something like a 6000 series nvidia for it to run well.

Also I'm not just talking out of my ass, i have used Vista before.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

funkyass wrote:And it took them 4 years to do just that. Don't give MS the money.
They seem to have some issues with managing & coordinating the devs.

http://moishelettvin.blogspot.com/2006/ ... pfest.html
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kieran

Post by kieran »

casualsax, the reasons that you gave in Vista's favour do nothing for me. I use XP in the classic interface, which is fine for me. I don't give a shit about the Aero interface, especially if I plan on taking the laptop out and about. I'm sure Aero would drain the life out of the batteries.

Anyhow, I'm getting it tonight or sunday. Thanks for all your help.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

The guy behind nLite has created a program called vlite for slimming down Vista installations.