DVD region code

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

clessoulis
Regular

DVD region code

Post by clessoulis »

Are the vob files of a DVD region encoded or is it the disk themselves that are encoded. Another words if I rip the vobs from a disk and then reburn them would the disk now be region free?
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Ripping a disc generally removes any region coding. You can set it back to any region you want when you burn it. That won't, however, change whether it's a PAL or an NTSC DVD.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

Yeah i'd never use PAl anyways I just wanna chance my NTSC american movies to region 2 or 0 so they will play on my Japanese 360.
<_<
Rookie

Post by <_< »

FYI, just about every DVD player can be hacked to ignore region coding. Standalone players often are hackable by a "secret" button sequence which can easily be found on Google (x region hack). DVD-ROM drives would use a firmware hack (x RC1 firmware) and a program like DVD Region Killer. Game consoles may be more difficult though.
It's-a me, Mario! Wait, no it's not.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

clessoulis wrote:Yeah i'd never use PAl anyways I just wanna chance my NTSC american movies to region 2 or 0 so they will play on my Japanese 360.
I'm dying to know why you imported an American console from Japan.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

<_<, way to commit thread necromancy.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

kode54 wrote:
clessoulis wrote:Yeah i'd never use PAl anyways I just wanna chance my NTSC american movies to region 2 or 0 so they will play on my Japanese 360.
I'm dying to know why you imported an American console from Japan.
Blue Dragon JPN
Bullet Witch ASN
Condemned USA
Dead Or ALive 4 JPN
[eM] eNCHANT aRMS JPN
[eM] eNCHANT aRMS ASN
Gears of War USA
Kameo USA
Lara Croft TombRaider Legend JPN
Lost Odessesy Demo JPN
Ninteny Nine Nights JPN
Perfect Dark Zero JPN
Phantasy Star Universe JPN
Phantasy Star Universe USA
Project Sylpheed JPN
Quake 4 USA
Ridge Racer 6 JPN
Senko No Rondo JPN
Sonic The Hedgehog JPN
Tenchu Serin JPN

So can you figure out why I have a Japanese unit yet?
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Yes, you are a dumbass Otaku.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

Yes I don't like only playing FPS gosh darn I must be a otaku *rolls eyes* Half of you people here are hypocrital idiots. You'll suck nintendo dick all day and praise them even though they're a Japanese company. Then trash the shit out of someone who imports. Also by trashing any import you're trashing all fan translations and almost any Japanese made game.
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

clessoulis wrote:Yes I don't like only playing FPS gosh darn I must be a otaku *rolls eyes* Half of you people here are hypocrital idiots. You'll suck nintendo dick all day and praise them even though they're a Japanese company. Then trash the shit out of someone who imports.
Fow what i know, for most of those JPN games you listed, there is an American version, I don't see the point on importing unless you got it cheaper and want to practice your japanese in an awkward way.
clessoulis wrote:Also by trashing any import you're trashing all fan translations and almost any Japanese made game.
Explain how that gap in logic goes.
_-|-_
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

MisterJones wrote:
clessoulis wrote:Yes I don't like only playing FPS gosh darn I must be a otaku *rolls eyes* Half of you people here are hypocrital idiots. You'll suck nintendo dick all day and praise them even though they're a Japanese company. Then trash the shit out of someone who imports.
Fow what i know, for most of those JPN games you listed, there is an American version, I don't see the point on importing unless you got it cheaper and want to practice your japanese in an awkward way.
Almost all of the games I wanna play will come out in Japan first. Asian version of 360 games are about $20 cheaper than US versions.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

clessoulis wrote:Almost all of the games I wanna play will come out in Japan first. Asian version of 360 games are about $20 cheaper than US versions.
So you get them a few months sooner. And are we to assume this $20 savings is after the cost of importing them?

Never mind, scratch that. Smart idea, take advantage of the price cuts occurring in the Japanese market, which Microsoft is still doing a poor job of penetrating.

Oh, and I thought fan translation was about localizing things which were never translated commercially, not getting the jump on known release dates. "Hurr, look at me, I'm playing Pokemon Silver 65% translated to English because I'm too bored to wait a few months for the official English release, but not bored enough to learn Japanese."

Oh, and:
Dead Or ALive 4 JPN
Yeah, way to import the amazing mammary physics engine before the rest of us, dude.
Kameo USA
Wait, what? USA version?
Lara Croft TombRaider Legend JPN
Please tell me they added a secret tentacle rape mode or some other sick fetish bullshit to justify importing a Japanese release that post dates the USA release by half a year.
Perfect Dark Zero JPN
More crap from the lifeless husk that was once Rareware.
Phantasy Star Universe JPN
Phantasy Star Universe USA
lol wut
Quake 4 USA
PC FPS on a console system? USA release again.
Ridge Racer 6 JPN
Riiiiiidge Racer! It's Ridge Racer!
Sonic The Hedgehog JPN
So you're a furry. Or a pedophile. Or both. Oh load times, you make the expensive import all that more worthwhile.
Last edited by kode54 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Aerdan wrote:Yes, you are a dumbass Otaku.
(14:25:52) Metatron: ...Ummm
(14:25:53) Metatron: Is it me
(14:25:58) Metatron: Or is Aerdan's post
(14:26:10) tofufish [~tofufish@c220-239-92-165.rochd1.qld.optusnet.com.au] entered the room.
(14:26:10) Metatron: Like a steel fist of irony to the balls
(14:26:24) ThunderCl: it isn't just you
(14:27:11) Evan_G: haha