Missing

The official forum for ZSNES documentation. Discuss future changes, mistakes, etc...
You can also join us on IRC at irc.freenode.net in #zsnes-docs.

Moderators: ZSNES Mods, ZSNES Doc Team

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Missing

Post by Nach »

I've decided to read the docs again cover to cover.

Here's what strike me as missing:
No mention that we have a lot of key bindings one can set with no defaults. For example, we have like 20 different ways one can select a save state with keys, yet only one is bound by default. Added.
File extensions lack MZT directories. Added.
File extensions lack img*****.bmp/png used for DOS. Added.
File extensions lack INP. Added.
File extensions lack ZSS. Added.
Save states differ in size, special chip games can easily have their saves be 100-200KB larger than normal. Added.
Sampling Rate should have mentioned next to it that 41000 and 48000 may fix crackly issues with newer junky onboard sound cards. Added.
Paths should have it mentioned that most Unix file system are case sensitive, and yet ZSNES only allows one case of input. So if the path uses upper and lowercase, the user should instead set the path in the config file. Added
BG Effects doesn't list smoke. Added.
GUI back default is 10-15-31. Corrected.
Record button should mention next to it that in playback mode one can switch to record. Added.
Raw Video might want to have next to it mentioned that on Unix systems one can use a FIFO file to encode in real time with it if they don't like the ZSNES opening MEncoder internally method for some reason. Added.
Save State Slot Chooser can also have a state selected by pressing escape. Added.
-ml command line option not listed. Added.
NSRT section should make a note of headers and IPS files.
Bug report section might want to mention SVN. Added.
Posting contents of rominfo.txt is an alternative to NSRT info. Added.
hector and BRPXQZME were chief in Mac OS X support, not just hector (hector was the primary guy for fixing the bugs in NASM for Mac OS X). Added.
cdbsi link is no longer good. He now seems to be updating the site. So we may need to correct some links but it's there.
There is no mention of custom input. Added.
zinput.cfg file has to be mentioned. Added.
-ad option for SDL has to be added. Added.

Okay, I think that's everything. Although I think some FAQ sections could be written better, which I may look into.
Last edited by Nach on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Firon »

What exactly does changing the sampling rate do? If you change it to say, 48000, does it simply resample the 32KHz audio to 48?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

It has ZSNES' audio generating mechanism do all its calculations and outputting in 48KHz. It doesn't resample it.
So it's not identical to what the SNES outputted, but it doesn't sound as bad as a 32->48 resample either.
Last edited by Nach on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Firon »

Okay, so it acts like SNESAmp in that regard. Thanks for clearing that up.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Thanks for the list. Condensed lists like this one are easier to follow than 5-page long threads (Deathlike: hint :P)

I am sorry for the lack of updates recently. I have yet to test out the game-specific input feature, and I don't know too much about the MZT directories and ZSS files.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

xamenus wrote:Thanks for the list. Condensed lists like this one are easier to follow than 5-page long threads (Deathlike: hint :P)
Nooooooooooo. That thread must be kept ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE.

Seriously, free free to quote me and ask questions.
I am sorry for the lack of updates recently. I have yet to test out the game-specific input feature, and I don't know too much about the MZT directories and ZSS files.
Create a movie, and use some savestates, you will see how apparent it may be.

.ZSS files is the "special" savestate used by Auto State Save/Load.

1.51 is around the corner.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Make sure to note certain GUI option changes... most visible is the Movie tabs.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Deathlike2 wrote:Nooooooooooo. That thread must be kept ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE.
Yes, I think I would like to put that thread to rest. IMHO, it's better to post each new suggestion in a different thread. It's easier to maintain, since we can just lock the threads when we are finished documenting the info in them.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Bleh :P

Anyways, the other thing missing is multipass support in movies not being mentioned...

Also, the Movie Options now use tabs. That needs to be addressed... although, I think that menu needs to be redone a bit...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

We should also mention in the dump movie info what the MENCODER and LAME missing error messages mean.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Can those who added stuff recently mark off what they took care of please?
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Ok, I've added some new stuff. I've also checked validation on existing pages (Opera is nice for making this easy.) The rest I'm more or less confused or I have issues trying to address them.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Okay I updated a bunch of HTML stuff.