Power Supplies

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

casualsax3
Veteran

Power Supplies

Post by casualsax3 »

Hey all,

Last Friday I had to test some power supplies to see if it's worth spending $70 on a power supply vs the crappy stock PSU that comes with a lot of cases you can find on NewEgg.

I tested 4 machines with 5 power supplies in 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 drive configurations. I also took a reading of how much power the systems drew when I powered them on at 4 drives, which shows how efficient the power supplies become under serious load (it takes a good chunk of power to spin up 4 drives)

The machines were all tested with the same 1x1GB PC5300 RAM, and the same four Western Digital SATA drives. The Intel systems were LGA775 chips on an Asus, and the AMD's were AM2 - also using an Asus motherboard.

Here are the results.

Power supplies tested:
Silverstone
Antec
Seasonic
Winsis

In a lot of cases the stock power supply uses almost twice as much power.

In New York City I pay $.19c/kwh, so 1 amp of power can cost around $20 a month - ((volts * amps) / 1000 ) * time (in hours).
This means pretty plainly, that the stock PSU here would cost me another $15 per month on my one desktop that I always have on.

Now if my office switches all of our workstations to one of the three 80% efficient power supplies, we stand to save a few hundred per month. Add to that the fact that these power supplies are going to be less susceptible to surges and spikes and last a lot longer, and it's really a no brainier.
funkyass
"God"

Re: Power Supplies

Post by funkyass »

casualsax3 wrote: Add to that the fact that these power supplies are going to be less susceptible to surges and spikes and last a lot longer, and it's really a no brainier.
Are you investing in some UPSs, because all Power Supplies are equally susceptible to surges and drops without them.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Oskar_Hanberg
Starzinger Addict

Post by Oskar_Hanberg »

funkyass wrote:
casualsax3 wrote: Add to that the fact that these power supplies are going to be less susceptible to surges and spikes and last a lot longer, and it's really a no brainier.
Are you investing in some UPSs, because all Power Supplies are equally susceptible to surges and drops without them.
True, what makes the difference between a good and crappy Power supply ()beside the efficiency) is the fact that good power supplies deliver more stable voltages to the components in the pc, thus prolonging their lifetime. I have a Seasonic 430W and I'm very happy with it.
"All kinds of private exploitation is theft in the sense that what exists in this world belongs to all of us, and so called 'Intellectual property', or software, is no exception to that"
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

funkyass wrote:
My explanation was off there, I meant that the rails are not going to fluctuate as much.
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

Very nice comparisons. Do you do this for a living?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Interesting stuff. Seems like Antec delivers some good results.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Antec makes some very efficient supplies. Last year, I bought a 430W Antec in their NeoHE high efficiency line.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817103939

It's been great. It outperforms the economy branded 500W supply that came with the case and it's rated at 70W less. Efficiency is really something to consider when dealing with power supplies these days.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I like Enermax better. However, the Antec I got most recently is pretty damn good.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Aaron wrote:Very nice comparisons. Do you do this for a living?
More or less - I'm a sysadmin.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I should mention one other thing.

The efficiency rating is also directly related to how much heat your Power Supply gives off. All of the wasted un-transferred power is given off as heat. Electronics always love to run cooler. It extends their life.

Now, as far as how many actual degrees 85% efficiency versus 75% actually makes, I don't have the knowledge to say. It may not even be very significant, however it's still one piece in the puzzle.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

It's not hard to do the math. If the PSU is 500Watt and is using 500w (which would require a Pentium D or multi-CPU sytem and at least 5 HDs to sustain that kind of draw), the additional 10% power consumption would lead to another 50w of heat. Contrast that to the 50-60W a Core 2 CPU uses.

Quite a bit of heat. Remember, though, that a PSU that runs constantly at anywhere near its limit is going to fail, becuase that means that the peak load will be way beyond its capacity.
Last edited by kevman on Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

I'm curious to know what device you used to measure, an ammeter or something like kill-a-watt?

Just because the engineer in me is kicking in, a lower amperage for AC current doesn't always mean less power used, because rarely are loads simply resistive. There is another concept called reactive power (essentially power shifted back and forth between producer and consumer).

Not that there's anything wrong with your measurements as the basic design of all the psu's are probably the same.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Hey Whichker, I used a Kill a Watt type device, as well as readings from an APC 7932.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Now that we are on the topic of power supplies: I need replace the power supply for my computer (It refuses to turn on after a series of random forced reboots and hearing "clicking" noise coming from said PSU) but it's been years since I bought this computer and I can't find the receipt with the description of the parts so..

How can I identify what kind of PSU I need to buy? I know it's an ATX kind of power supply, but after browsing computer part sites for a while, I can't identify the diferences between them.

So?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Then buy an ATX.

Unless your system is really strange (like a Dell or a server or something) that's all you need to know.

To be sure, look at how many different cables plug into the motherboard. There should be a big rectangular one, and (maybe) a smaller 4-pin square one with two yellow and two black wires. That's ATX12v, which all PSUs you buy new are. If you don't have the square one, don't worry, you can just not use it in the new PSU. ATX12v supplies work as ATX supplies.

If there's a third rectangular one with only one row of pins, that's the AUX, and while almost never used, still ships with most PSUs, so you don't have to worry about that either.

I doubt you have any Sata drives, so buy one with more Molexes than Sata power connectors.

If its a Dell, or in some cases, HP, you might be fucked, or you might not be fucked. Depends. Dell sometimes uses BTX, and HP and Dell both uses whatever the hell they feel like on a lot of machines. The case might be shaped strange.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.