Super Mario RPG freezing

A forum for admins and moderators to move verified bug posts to. Only move topics here if they are indeed verified bugs.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

yadayada

Super Mario RPG freezing

Post by yadayada »

Hi everyone,

I've searched the forums for this issue but couldn't seem to find it, so I apologize in advance if this has been verified.

I have the latest release 1.51 windows and Super Mario RPG freezes (music continues) when in the equip menu right when you select something from the right menu. It works in the older versions, but not the latest release (which has a nice looking GUI btw)

here is the rom info:
NSRT v3.3 - Nach's SNES ROM Tools

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
File: mariorpg.smc
Name: SUPER MARIO RPG Company: Nintendo
Header: None Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: No SRAM: 256 Kb
Type: SA-1 + Batt ROM: 32 Mb
ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM) Revision: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0x3BB4 CRC32: 1B8A0625
MD5: D0B68D68D9EFC0558242F5476D1C5B81
--------------------------Database--------------------------
Name: Super Mario RPG
Port 1: Gamepad Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: RPG Genre 2: Turn Based

Mainly out of curiousity, because it works in older versions, but running it in the newest version would obviously be preferable. ;)

but nevertheless you guys are doing great work!
thanks in advance!
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I cannot reproduce the glitch. It works fine for me. mind posting a savestate or movie?

NSRT v3.3 - Nach's SNES ROM Tools

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
File: mariorpg.smc
Name: SUPER MARIO RPG Company: Nintendo
Header: None Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: No SRAM: 256 Kb
Type: SA-1 + Batt ROM: 32 Mb
ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM) Revision: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0x3BB4 CRC32: 1B8A0625
MD5: D0B68D68D9EFC0558242F5476D1C5B81
--------------------------Database--------------------------
Name: Super Mario RPG
Port 1: Gamepad Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: RPG Genre 2: Turn Based
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
yadayada

Post by yadayada »

seems okay now... don't know why it wasn't working before :)

thanks
Last edited by yadayada on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There is no version 1.46 of ZSNES.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
yadayada

Post by yadayada »

my bad, sorry i meant 1.42
rawrs

Post by rawrs »

i have them same problem and i really need help i am new to this and i have no clue what to even do
AssCrust

Post by AssCrust »

The problem first arises when trying to equip Mallow.

Here is a link to a savestate immediately preceeding the glitch (name: smrpgeng.z92)
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=83475
This error was reproduce on two of my computers, which contain extremely different hardware.

This problem, however, does not appear in ZSNES 1.42. Great Job anyway, guys. Y'all kick major ass.

AssCrust
mar123x

Post by mar123x »

i came here just to post about this problem, im kinda glad its already known. im using the latest version of zsnes, and like the previous poster said, it froze exactly when i was trying to equip mallow with a weapon. the background keeps moving, music is playing, but i cannot do anything. i tried restarting and it froze again in the menu.

also i am using a ps2 controller via usb converter, and pretty much default settings. i also noticed that when moving around in the game, little "static" bars appear at the bottom when i jump, or when a character is talking, these lines appear around the text box.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The only thing that comes to mind is that the special chip timings weren't tweaked the same time the core was tweaked. I'm not sure 1.50 has it working, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

TODO for 1.60.
Watering ur plants.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

I'm coming from this topic.

Deathlike2: It's not only in the DOS build, but in the Windows too. Just checked.

Where the freezing happen AFAIK:
1)Axem Rangers Battle when Blade uses the charged attack.
2)After beating Johnny.
3)Like the previous, but when you open the Star menu and wait a little(about one minute). I think you must have 5+ Stars, not sure.
4)When Lakitu takes you to Bowser's Keep.
5)When equipping stuff. VERY random and hard to reproduce.

I'm posting a savestate where you can do 3) and 4) in seconds(just by the Lakitu bus)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/68zqhq

If you need something else, just ask.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Just realize this issue is very likely related to the timing...
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

mar123x wrote:i also noticed that when moving around in the game, little "static" bars appear at the bottom when i jump, or when a character is talking, these lines appear around the text box.
That also happens with me. Most noticeably in Mushroom Kingdom(outside the castle, just talk to anyone).
Deathlike2 wrote:Duplicate threads are bad.
I'm not the creator of either thread. I posted there because I couldn't find anything in Bug Reports. Checked Verified Bugs just now :oops:
Deathlike2 wrote:The 8-bit engine limitations have specific issues, so the sprite thing won't be fixed ever anyhow
Yeah, I know, but I had hopes :cry:
Inca_Killa

Post by Inca_Killa »

This also happens too me, but it doesn't matter what item i'm equiping; it always bugs up (discluding the first hammer you get for mario from the hammer bros)
I've tried these items:
Shirt:Mario
Pants:Mallow
Jumping Boots:Mario

Also, those lines appear when I jump/talk to people too, and changing my resolution and stuff doesn't fix it. Annoying, but livable, whilst the mentioned bug above is not livable. Anyone have ANY idea how to fix this? :?
Inca_Killa

Post by Inca_Killa »

Guys i've come up with a work-around.

When your going to equip items, click on the spot it'd go in (IE:Mario:Armor) and THEN select the armor, its never crashed for me that way.

new Bug: I was using an item and randomly it crashed(a mushroom). I've only had this happen once.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Inca_Killa wrote:Also, those lines appear when I jump/talk to people too, and changing my resolution and stuff doesn't fix it. Annoying, but livable, whilst the mentioned bug above is not livable. Anyone have ANY idea how to fix this? :?
this is well known.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Inca_Killa

Post by Inca_Killa »

Kajuru wrote:I'm coming from this topic.

Deathlike2: It's not only in the DOS build, but in the Windows too. Just checked.

Where the freezing happen AFAIK:
1)Axem Rangers Battle when Blade uses the charged attack.
2)After beating Johnny.
3)Like the previous, but when you open the Star menu and wait a little(about one minute). I think you must have 5+ Stars, not sure.
4)When Lakitu takes you to Bowser's Keep.
5)When equipping stuff. VERY random and hard to reproduce.

I'm posting a savestate where you can do 3) and 4) in seconds(just by the Lakitu bus)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/68zqhq

If you need something else, just ask.
Is there some fix for this..? I'm at johhny now and i froze right where you said... I'm going to try and zom through it with the ` key..gimmie luck
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Not really. Best solution is to use an older version for now.
Inca_Killa

Post by Inca_Killa »

Deathlike2 wrote:Not really. Best solution is to use an older version for now.

Which version?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

try v1.36 or 1.42 both should work with minimal hassle so long as you install them to a fresh folder separate from 1.51
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

I can confirm that this is not fixed in 1.51.
Luckily, it does not happen all the times.
KickMeElmo

Post by KickMeElmo »

I've had the same problem in both 1.43 (Mac OSX version) and 1.51 with the equipping, except for me it happens with any weapon, armor, or accessory selecting any slot. It's guaranteed to fail. Don't know why it's a higher failure rate with me, but whatever works.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

KickMeElmo wrote:I've had the same problem in both 1.43 (Mac OSX version) and 1.51 with the equipping, except for me it happens with any weapon, armor, or accessory selecting any slot. It's guaranteed to fail. Don't know why it's a higher failure rate with me, but whatever works.
1.43 is not official to begin with.
Sentios

Post by Sentios »

Timing you say... huh... well it's all greek to me I was thinking it had something to do with a memory leak or the like. Cuz I can change my equipment just fine apparently in some places (namely the last save point before Johny) but freeze no matter where I start my equipment change from. Heck I adopted a policy of change 1 piece of equipment and then save so I could actually get my equipment switched around. Also seemed very bogged down in some battles (like the giant squid).

EDIT: version 1.36 froze on boomer not sure if my game files are bad or if it's the client though since everything else greatly improved on that client version.
runner

Post by runner »

Alright, I'm not sure exactly what to do, as has already been stated, I am having problems with the part w/ Johnny. I have just beat him, and then it shows the stars I have and immediately freezes. I have tried downloading both 1.36 and 1.42, but I can't seem to load my ROMs properly on those, and I'm not sure why. When I press 'load' and then access the folder they're in, none of my ROMs are actually there.

Also, if those versions do work for me, would that mean that I would have to redo everything I had done up to this point on v1.51 or can I use a saved state from v1.51 and pick up at that some point on one of the other versions? is this possible or would I have to rework everything I have done?