Super Mario RPG freezing

A forum for admins and moderators to move verified bug posts to. Only move topics here if they are indeed verified bugs.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

use 1.36 or 1.42 (not 1.42n)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

1.51 Workaround

Post by TAxxOUTBR3AKxx »

Ok I have Zsnes 1.51 and I have found several working workarounds for various freezing issues.

Equipment Freezing- If it freezes when u click on the item to be equipped, try clicking on the Equipment spot first(Mario>Armor) then select the equipment. Do vice versa if it freezes the other way around.

Johnathon's Star- Freezes right before you can get out of the star menu after he gives it to u. My workaround was I used Mario, Geno, and Bowser when it kept freezing. I reloaded a savestate and used Mario, Peach, and Bowser and it let me through without freezing.

Currently I am stuck at the Axem Rangers where it uses it's charged beam and just stays there......wonder if a character swap will work around this or not.

EDIT: I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THE AXEM RANGERS BREAKER BEAM FREEZE!!!! Save a state when your last character is going to make his move, then press escape, go to Load and where it says "Force" in the bottom right corner, click PAL.....even though it's an NTSC version PAL will work. Load the game and reload your state. The Breaker Beam will work correctly and not freeze the game. Have yet to try this on the other freezing points but worth a try!!!
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Perhaps using another emulator, like SnesGT will relieve one from having to go through the trouble of making workarounds. Doesn't freeze on that game or any other SA-1 game for that matter. But until Zsnes 2.0 comes out, this may be your best bet.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Ishimaru Chiaki

Post by Ishimaru Chiaki »

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum, but I know zsnes for years since I began to use it when I was still on windows 95. Now my current PC is on a winXP/Ubuntu 8.04 dualboot, and I mostly use Ubuntu.

I have the same freeze issue than many people here. I encountered it when Toad was showing me the use of the menu (so it's just after Exor broke the Bowser Castle's main bridge).

For information, my version of ZSNES is the 1.51, the one available in Ubuntu's repositories. I haven't looked yet about getting an older version in .deb package, I should ask on ubuntuforums.

So whatever the OS used, this bug is present.
viperlasson

Post by viperlasson »

Man this really pissed me off. First of all, I was aware of this bug in the newest version of zsnes so I took the advice of everyone and used an older version (1.36). Everything worked fine until today, when I was about 3/4 finished with the game, 15+ hours in, zsnes randomly reverted my save file to an older one from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the beginning of the game. I didn't do anything different, I didn't use any save states or anything. What could have caused this? I have everything saved in a big rom folder, and using a ntsc mario rpg rom. Ugh now I don't know if I want to redo all my work and finish the game.
ynell

Post by ynell »

Not sure if this is just me or if it's already been posted, but the Mallow equipping bug is only when he's level 5. I tried it numerous times and it works just fine when he's any other level, at least for me.

Anyone know where to get zsnes 1.42 for ubuntu? i tried installing from deb and tar and for some reason neither show up in synaptic or anywhere else for that matter following the "installation". and nothing in the terminal hints at a failure.

i'm guessing nobody hosts it for an apt-get anymore :/ im pretty sure dfreer just keeps the latest :/

then again i don't know a whole lot about these things yet haha
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

viperlasson wrote:Man this really pissed me off. First of all, I was aware of this bug in the newest version of zsnes so I took the advice of everyone and used an older version (1.36). Everything worked fine until today, when I was about 3/4 finished with the game, 15+ hours in, zsnes randomly reverted my save file to an older one from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the beginning of the game. I didn't do anything different, I didn't use any save states or anything. What could have caused this? I have everything saved in a big rom folder, and using a ntsc mario rpg rom. Ugh now I don't know if I want to redo all my work and finish the game.
Possible scenario 1:
the game was first played by running the compressed (zipped) game file.
all later game playing was done by running the uncompressed version.
for some reason the zip file was opened again by mistake.

Possible scenario 2:
The file name of the rom image was changed, either intentionally or not.

Possible scenario 3:
Disk was restored to an earlier day (I don't believe system restore would do this because it's not part of its monitored file extensions.)

Possible scenario 4:
the save location was changed to a different folder at different times.

All I am saying is, the "ZSNES REVERTED MY SRM FILE TO AN EARLIER VERSION" just won't happen UNLESS save states are invoked.

If the SRM file comes up to a defaulted "fresh" state, meaning in this case that all save slots in-game don't even have a name, then I would have to say that either zsnes created a new one, and the old one is still there; or the game erased it itself.

Just check for this:
Is there more than one similarly named SRM file in the save location? For example, there could be a file called "Super Mario RPG (U).SFC.srm" and a file called "Super Mario RPG (U).srm"

One of those could still be the latest version.
mariorpger

Post by mariorpger »

I need some help! I've been playing for a day and have 4 out of the 7 stars, but exactly when I receive the fifth and it floats up into the sky, it goes into position, spins completely 3 time and FREEZES!

I'd like to just beat the game and be done with it! Help?

I've dealt with the not-equipping things phase, but this is just too much!
Last edited by mariorpger on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fbb
Hazed

Post by fbb »

mariorpger wrote:I need some help! I've been playing for a day and have 4 out of the 7 stars, but exactly when I receive the fifth and it floats up into the sky, it goes into position, spins completely 3 time and FREEZES!

I'd like to just beat the game and be done with it! Help?

Use SNESGT
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

either use an earlier version of ZSNES or another emulator (ZSNES 1.42 is good, so is 1.36). You should be saving your game in the game and not by using savestates, otherwise your pretty much fucked unless you start again from scratch :P
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Charalei

halp? :{

Post by Charalei »

so i beat Johnny, he gives me the fancy shmancy star, and the damn thing breaks. i read about switching characters (changed from Peach and Geno to Bowser and Mallow, no difference), but i don't know how to change the technical things everyone keeps talking about, and i'm hesitant to start fiddling with my save states. could someone please post step-by-step instructions to one (or several) of the techniques i should try? i also don't know how to access a comprehensive list of my technical specifications, if there's even one around, but i could probably look them up with a little direction.

thank you :)
PatLovesGaming

Unfreezing Mario

Post by PatLovesGaming »

I play on ZSNES 1.52 (or so it says)

I had similar problems with freezing. Equipping items, getting the fifth star, and once in a while, using geno beam.

To fix it:

1. Make a save state (F2)
2. Hit Escape
3. Click "Load"
4. In the Bottom right corner, check the square that reads "PAL"
5. Click the "Load" button
6. Re-load Your save state (F4)

I did this and Mario never froze again

The only problem is that i found with this is that with it on the game had some pretty bad lag, so if you want to turn it off until you find a problem spot, go hard!

Enjoy!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Re: Unfreezing Mario

Post by Agozer »

PatLovesGaming wrote: The only problem is that i found with this is that with it on the game had some pretty bad lag
Of course the game is going to lag if you force it to run 17% slower than intended.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
PatLovesGaming

Post by PatLovesGaming »

Agozer wrote:
PatLovesGaming wrote: The only problem is that i found with this is that with it on the game had some pretty bad lag
Of course the game is going to lag if you force it to run 17% slower than intended.
I know, that was more or less for the guy(s) that didnt know that and were just following the directions
Charalei

Post by Charalei »

PatLovesGaming wrote: To fix it:

1. Make a save state (F2)
2. Hit Escape
3. Click "Load"
4. In the Bottom right corner, check the square that reads "PAL"
5. Click the "Load" button
6. Re-load Your save state (F4)

I did this and Mario never froze again
thank you!! so far it's working perfectly :D
Fuzoya

Post by Fuzoya »

Okay, I have this problem with the game...
It isnt a freeze bug or anything, but I felt it may suit in here...
Anyway...My problem is that after returning the princess to the mushroom kingdom and she rejoins the party then Mallow tells you to go to his grandpa and talk with him. Well...sure thing...But when I get there nothing happens. Mallows grandpa doesnt say anything except "(Snif) it will be quiet around here with Mallow gone." And he stays at the exact location as he used to before. Not at the table as he is supposed to do in this point of the game. Its like a "trigger" in the game wont shoot in, if you get what I mean. I've watched a youtube playthrough and done exactly what he did (I loaded a earlier save game and replayed exactly as he did). So, is there any way of fixing this? I have played for quite some time and is starting to get frustrated by this bug.

I have also googled this, but found nothing... thats how I got here...anyone who can help?
I started playing in a ZSNES 1.35 version.
I loaded the earlier savegame in 1.42 and 1.51 to check if it work correctly there, but I had no luck.

(EDIT: PS...may this rom just be one of the bad roms and I gotta get a new unbugged one as the only solution to get past this maybe? :x )

kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Fuzoya wrote:Okay, I have this problem with the game...
Anyway...My problem is that after returning the princess to the mushroom kingdom and she rejoins the party then Mallow tells you to go to his grandpa and talk with him. Well...sure thing...But when I get there nothing happens. Mallows grandpa doesnt say anything except "(Snif) it will be quiet around here with Mallow gone." And he stays at the exact location as he used to before. Not at the table as he is supposed to do in this point of the game. Its like a "trigger" in the game wont shoot in, if you get what I mean. I've watched a youtube playthrough and done exactly what he did (I loaded a earlier save game and replayed exactly as he did). So, is there any way of fixing this? I have played for quite some time and is starting to get frustrated by this bug.

I have also googled this, but found nothing... thats how I got here...anyone who can help?
I loaded the earlier savegame in 1.42 and 1.51 to check if it work correctly there, but I had no luck.

(EDIT: PS...may this rom just be one of the bad roms and I gotta get a new unbugged one as the only solution to get past this maybe? :x )

After retrieving the Rare Frog Coin from Croco, you should have returned to the shop in Mushroom Kingdom to pick up the Cricket Pie, which you give to Frogfucious in exchange for the Froggie Stick. It sounds as if you missed this vital step.
Fuzoya

Post by Fuzoya »

kode54 wrote:
Fuzoya wrote:Okay, I have this problem with the game...

After retrieving the Rare Frog Coin from Croco, you should have returned to the shop in Mushroom Kingdom to pick up the Cricket Pie, which you give to Frogfucious in exchange for the Froggie Stick. It sounds as if you missed this vital step.
Wow... Well... it worked...you are right:P
Okay, now I feel kinda stupid... I was confident it was some sort of bug or something :oops:
Thanks for the help :)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

<spoiler>
and FYI, the password in the Sunken Ship is PEARLS.
</spoiler>
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

adventure_of_link wrote:<spoiler>
</spoiler>
That reminds me of when the only dumped ROM image was the Japanese version, and knowing no Japanese, I had to brute force the password.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

kode54 wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:<spoiler>
</spoiler>
That reminds me of when the only dumped ROM image was the Japanese version, and knowing no Japanese, I had to brute force the password.
I also remember seeing a SMRPG JPN ROM type as DSP1...

wow times have changed a lot..
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

This crap is fixed once I find out where SVN is.
Watering ur plants.
DrJimesTooper

freezing

Post by DrJimesTooper »

hey all, about a week ago i started playing super mario rpg and have encountered almost every single problem reported in this thread, but have found workarounds for them or used the ones suggested in this thread. i am now all the way up to Smithy; i've just beaten him and when i receive his star, it spins around and goes to the star screen where it shows all the stars spinning. when they start spinning really fast and changing colors, the game freezes exactly how it did after getting Johnny's star, with the stars frozen but the background and music still going.

i've tried forcing PAL, no good. forcing back to NTSC, no good. retrying over and over simply hoping it will work, no good. tried to use zsnes 1.42 but whenever i start zsnes 1.42 it just shows a black window, no GUI. if i drag and drop the rom onto it, it plays the music as if the game was starting, but still no image (this might have something to do with the fact that my video card is burned out and it might be trying to use some filters or something which can't be used without a proper video card). so i tried 1.36 and it starts up just fine, loads the rom, but doesn't load my save states or in-game save file (are save files not backward compatible?).

so... i tried snesGT and snes9x and neither will load my save states/files either (not that i necessarily expected them to... i don't know if save states/files are cross-platform compatible so i figured it was worth a try)

i have two save states for this game. the first one is saved right before smithy takes his final hit and dies, so at that point i'm still in the battle. the second save state is after smithy dies, just before the star goes up into the star screen.

i saw some posts on here requiring technical information about the rom we have.. if it's necessary to post that, could someone tell me how to find/get that information? this is going to sound dumb but is it in the .txt file called "rominfo"?

if anyone has any suggestions.. please fire them my way. i'd really like to finish this game up.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Save ram files should load fine... You're just using save states, aren't you?
DrJimesTooper

Post by DrJimesTooper »

i had been making in-game saves using the Save blocks which i guess would be save ram files, right? i was just also using save states so i could save in between those in-game save blocks. is there some special way to get the emulator to load the save ram files, or should they simply be in the list on the file selecting/loading screen in the game (as long as they're all in the same directory)?