Super Jukebox...

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

avoidz
Rookie

Super Jukebox...

Post by avoidz »

I just downloaded Super Jukebox 3.3 to listen to some favorite SFC-SNES tracks, and though the player is good it crashes frequently (usually this:)

I've googled for help but not found anything, apart from a quick tip on another forum recommending: "Make sure you set the "Thread priority" at "Time Critical" in the configuration. Unless you do this, Super Jukebox will tend to crash fairly often."

Well, I tried that and Super Jukebox still crashes playing back SPCs.

Can someone help with this?

Cheers! :)
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I've never gotten any official versions of Super Jukebox to work on XP with any kind of consistency or stability.

Somebody on this board made an unofficial Super Jukebox release a few years ago though that fixed the issue. I was lucky enough to be around when he posted it and have been using it ever since.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the distribution archive anymore. I'm not sure if you can run it from just the program files alone if I were to post them.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Tried compatibility mode?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

You can just copy and run it. There's no registry shit that it won't make the first time you run it. I would perfer Nightcrawler to post his; mine is pretty haxed. If not, though, I can make an archive and post it somewhere.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I remembered that grinvader offered to mirror it on his site, so I looked there and found that it is still available.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

So......

Url?
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I figured it would have been easy to find. Oh well.

http://grinvader.free.fr/data/
avoidz
Rookie

Post by avoidz »

creaothceann wrote:Tried compatibility mode?
Yep, I did try that but it didn't help.

Thanks for the info and suggestions; and @xamenus for the link :)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Mmmmm, I think I have a later one than grinvader mirrored which also has JMA support.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by avoidz »

Nach wrote:Mmmmm, I think I have a later one than grinvader mirrored which also has JMA support.
grinvader's 3.2 version linked in this thread is nice and stable, but if you have the JMA version and you have a moment could you post a link to it, please? :)
[img]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9022/snesconsole25x301fm.png[/img]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It's the file just under it.

bg-sj32_full.zip
bg-sj33_exe.rar

Grab both, install 3.2, and overwrite the exe with the 3.3 one.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
avoidz
Rookie

Post by avoidz »

Great, thanks. I already downloaded both from your link.

Do I still have to "Restore Default Settings" when I replace the 3.2 with the 3.3 EXE?

Cheers :)

EDIT: Hmm, the player still says 3.2 after I replace the file.
avoidz
Rookie

Post by avoidz »

grinvader, I don't see a 3.3 exe file; the file name is "bg-sj33_exe.rar" but the version is still 3.2 when I run the program.

It's not really important I suppose, since the 3.2 install seems to work just fine.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

What are the benefits of using SJ over the SNESAmp plugin for Winamp? Aside from having a visual representation of the output,channel status and more organized playlists,is there anything SJ does better than SNESAmp in terms of sound accuracy/quality?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Actually I think SNESAmp is better, since SJ was discontinued sooner.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Maese Delta

Re: Super Jukebox...

Post by Maese Delta »

maf wrote:I just downloaded Super Jukebox 3.3 to listen to some favorite SFC-SNES tracks, and though the player is good it crashes frequently (usually this:)

I've googled for help but not found anything, apart from a quick tip on another forum recommending: "Make sure you set the "Thread priority" at "Time Critical" in the configuration. Unless you do this, Super Jukebox will tend to crash fairly often."

Well, I tried that and Super Jukebox still crashes playing back SPCs.

Can someone help with this?

Cheers! :)

***IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THIS QUOTE, READ THE FOLLOWING:

Maese Delta x_x:

I really was glad that I wasn't the only one that suffered such a grief... indeed.

Well, what you say it's true. I do have the Super Jukebox, and ZSNES, the latest version, and SPC700, and all of them in Windows XP. And, yes, the Super Jukebox crashes frequently.

This what I have to say:

Whoever created the program, even when it is used in compatibility with Win95, 98, Me, or 2000, or whatever, it crashes. Also, even with the 'Thread Priority' set to 'Time Critical', it crashes still.

Also, if you are one of those who at least owns a decent and yet powerful PC, you might think Super Jukebox may be able to compete with Real Player, Windows Media Player, Winamp and iTunes... but it can't.

What I mean is that once you open Super Jukebox, you should have closed early any background task in the Task Manager, closed any folders or programs. Super Jukebox can't run properly at the same time along with other programs or tasks as simple as a click of the mouse-button, minimizing, maximizing, writing, or even, competing with another program, such as Media Player or other, as you might one to guess what would be the sounds and channels of the Super Jukebox files trying to overcome those of the files supported (and being played by those programs.)

That's it: If leave Super Jukebox open, and play a file, you should not make another thing, even as it may sound stupid, but if you act slowly,you may play many files and make sort of heavy tasks for Super Jukebox, like WAV dumping, modyifing the properties, opening or saving playlists files, etc.

And also, when it crashes, it freezes almost immediately, and you have the following:

-Your machine will noth crash, as it may be able to leave your other background tasks undamaged, and you can notice it by moving your cursor around all the screen. If it is this case, close at once Super Jukebox. Also, you notice that the buttons and even menus are shadowed and highlighted, as if it was running quite well, even press those buttons, and the dialog boxes will open.

-Super Jukebox will crash in the worst way, almost scaring you, for it seems your system will do the same thing, for the cursor might freeze too. If this is the case, press the usual 'Panic Keys' Ctrl+Alt+Supr to open the Task Manager and select to close Super Jukebox, along with the familiar dialog boxes that come along with it.

-And it could be even worser if it happens to bring down your system, not as you might think... but with the crash, you will have to restart your machine.

And now, I come to the Winamp: Yes, it's awesome, and you'll have luck if you happen to own the full version, as the CD's ripping functions and format converters are enabled. Thus, you can convert hundreds of SPC files into WAV, MP3, MP4, or cda or whatever. This is useful instead of the common way (if you know it) of first dumping the SPC files with Super Jukebox into WAV files, and then using iTunes to convert them into any other files you want, either for iPod (or those pesky clones) or to save them in CD.

But not all that glitters is gold... for it happens that even Winamp crashes with some files, even SPC's. For in the hundreds of playlists and files of SPC you may have, one of them might work well in Super Jukebox, but not in Winamp. And it crashes awfully, even you must restart your machine. And it does not matter that you save another SPC file, after erasing or fixing the 'guilty one', and then use ZSNES to save it again. For as soon as you open it, it crashes. Also, some files crash the Winamp as soon as they start, but others (and this is awful) crash after some seconds or eve minutes, so there's no warranty that any SPC files that has time limit or no can be immune to this horror.

This is all I have to say. If you want to learn more, send your comments to maesedelta@yahoo.com.mx

Therefore, to talk about other things than Super Jukebox, and to begin to share SPCfiles, playlists and games (ROM files for ZSNES). Even, as you know that ZSNES has the ability to record movies, send your zmovies of the best records or fights, races or whatever that you have achieved in the games, and I´ll share my own with you.

Namarie mellon...(Farewell friend)

Maese Delta (Martyr Master Delta of the Dryad)
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Maese, just get grinvaders version and be happy.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Maese Delta wrote: And now, I come to the Winamp: Yes, it's awesome, and you'll have luck if you happen to own the full version, as the CD's ripping functions and format converters are enabled. Thus, you can convert hundreds of SPC files into WAV, MP3, MP4, or cda or whatever. This is useful instead of the common way (if you know it) of first dumping the SPC files with Super Jukebox into WAV files, and then using iTunes to convert them into any other files you want, either for iPod (or those pesky clones) or to save them in CD.
A. That's an absurdly kludgy way to convert files.
B. How are competing MP3 players iPod "pesky clones" when Diamond and Creative beat Apple to market AND make products with less ill-conceived interfaces and superior output quality? Or do you just object to the concept of Apple having a near-total instead of absolute monopoly?
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

What's the point Maese?

We've already established Boot God's modified version of Super Jukebox works absolutely fine in XP. Get those. I've used it for at about 2 years now with no problems on XP.

Don't be stupid. Just get that version.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

:wink:
Maese Delta wrote:send your comments to maesedelta@yahoo.com.mx
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

creaothceann wrote::wink:
Maese Delta wrote:send your comments to maesedelta@yahoo.com.mx
Yeah, yeah...

I wonder how much spam he gets in that thing...
MrWong

Post by MrWong »

The link posted no longer works and I wasn't able to find the fixed version anywhere. So if someone could upload it and send me a link I would be most grateful.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

For a limited time only because I have a special love for Super Jukebox's visual DSP presentation:
http://transcorp.parodius.com/scratchpa ... tgod32.zip
http://transcorp.parodius.com/scratchpa ... ootgod.rar

Both are the exe replacements for 3.2. You probably don't need the first one, but there is a readme there. I don't know what was changed in the subsequent one, but it is newer. I think that's the one discussed in this topc with JMA support. I have been running the newest for the past few years, even through upgrade to Windows 7.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I pretty much stole their visual representation for foo_gep's SPC-700 Visualizer.
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

Thank you for posting this Visual C++ compiled executable.
I will find it useful.