Wii wifi question

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

smkdan
Hazed

Wii wifi question

Post by smkdan »

I only recently found out that Wiis had integrated wi-fi support. I thought you had to purchase some USB network adapter for it but that was just for PC's...

Anyway, I have a notebook with wi-fi and a modem in the Ethernet port. Can I get net access on my system or do you need a router in there somewhere? I'm terrible with networks and the guides online just mention using the access point search to find your router or something and away you do.

I tried making a 'PC to PC' connection and it shows up during the access point search but I can't actually connect. It shows some SSID errors. Can someone more versed with this stuff help me out?

Thanks,
SquareHead
Veteran

Re: Wii wifi question

Post by SquareHead »

smkdan wrote:Anyway, I have a notebook with wi-fi and a modem in the Ethernet port.
What?

Anyhow, I'm not sure, but either you will need the nintendo network adapter, or a wireless router in there somewhere.
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

The notebook has integrated wireless and the Wii can pick it up during the Access Point search. It won't go past the connection stage and gives me an error asking to check the SSID which I guess means its getting stuck at a very early stage. I'm willing to bet, I'm doing something horribly wrong.

I can't see why I have to toss in a wireless router in the mix when the Wii should be able to connect to the notebook directly, and use ICS or something to have it use net. Then again, I've never used any wireless features of the notebook and I don't use networking around here at all. Would any extra info help or does the connection absolutely need a router?
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

just get a router, because the situation you're describing is an utter mess.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

sweener2001 wrote:just get a router, because the situation you're describing is an utter mess.
how is it a utter mess? he wants the wii to connect through his laptop to the internet... yet it fails with errors.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

It seems you are not alone

Yet another thread

From what I am seeing. It may not be possible, but on the other hand its still worth a shot.

Also not being an ass, but Google is your friend
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

ICS is a bitch.

buy a router, you'll love your laptop more.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I've said it a million times before. ICS sucks ass. The internet is dangerous, even with software firewalls. Buy a router. You're far better off.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

franpa wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:just get a router, because the situation you're describing is an utter mess.
how is it a utter mess? he wants the wii to connect through his laptop to the internet... yet it fails with errors.
how dumb are you?

and how is the fact that he would need a laptop, a laptop mind you, to be on and acting as a server not a mess?
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

802.11g 54mbps wireless routers are CHEAP. I can get a no-name brand at OfficeDepot for $30 with no rebate ANY TIME.

Even the ever-popular (but still consumer-grade crap) Linksys WRT54G can be had for $50 out the door at Wal*Mart.
Need a new sig...