What Games Have Kept You Guys Busy?

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Corronchilejano wrote:Final Fantasy VI Advance
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

SquareHead wrote:
How is it different from the original SNES FF5?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Cyrus wrote:
SquareHead wrote:
How is it different from the original SNES FF5?
Try again.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

So I missed the I, big deal, no need to have a seizure. What's the difference between the original SNES FF6 and the new version?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Cyrus wrote:So I missed the I, big deal, no need to have a seizure. What's the difference between the original SNES FF6 and the new version?
A big ton of meh if you haven't played any FF3/6 hacks you could get from romhacking.net. It's the same as all FF ports... updates to existing stuff. Check out the FF6A thread on the zboard for your own sake.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
MethodOne
Rookie

Post by MethodOne »

-UT on Windows and Linux
-UT2004 on Windows and Linux
-KOF series on MAME
-Contra III on Wii and ZSNES
-Kirby Super Star
[url=https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=221]Save Internet Radio[/url]
[url=http://www.defectivebydesign.org]Say No to DRM[/url]
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

I've already beaten a lot of those listed. I got back to playing Onimusha Dawn Of Dreams, even though it actually requires an ounce of brain power here and there, but all the ass kicking more than makes up for it.

Another game I've been playing a few rounds here and there of is Guilty Gear XX Slash. It's a pretty good fighting game if you can ignore the retarded characters they put in the game such as the zombie which vomits from it's spine... seriously (this shit is too dumb for anyone outside of japland to make up).

If ever do get the time I really should start up FFX/FFX-2 but I've been told the second part is retarded and ruins the storyline of the original. Anyone played them to know?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Vagrant Story <3 :P
(link)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

gears of war and fight nigt round 3 keep me entertained.

also dead rising. still fun.

vagrant story can get down to 50 MB if you use ECM. that's a great program for aiding in compressing CD ISO's.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

creaothceann wrote:Vagrant Story <3 :P
(link)
I've heard so much about that game that I'll keep it in mind.
sweener2001 wrote:gears of war and fight nigt round 3 keep me entertained.

also dead rising. still fun.

vagrant story can get down to 50 MB if you use ECM. that's a great program for aiding in compressing CD ISO's.
There was a full thread about ECM a while back but I've long since forgotten about it. Google time... actually a link wouldn't hurt, you have one?
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Star Ocean 3
Supreme Commander
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Cyrus wrote: There was a full thread about ECM a while back but I've long since forgotten about it. Google time... actually a link wouldn't hurt, you have one?
http://www.neillcorlett.com/ecm/

i wish he had something similar for dvd size iso's. but it's possible that they do something different so that a program like ECM would be pointless. i don't really know.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Cyrus wrote:If ever do get the time I really should start up FFX/FFX-2 but I've been told the second part is retarded and ruins the storyline of the original. Anyone played them to know?
I don't think FFX-2 ruins much of anything. It's just more girly in places. If you can get past that it's a good game. Then again, not everyone agrees with me.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Nanaca Crash
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

SquareHead wrote:Nanaca Crash
\o/

Yes.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

The Dig
Hexplore
Nox
Emperor:Battle for Dune
Total Annihilation
Sam and Max: Hit the Road
XCOM: UFO Defense (also the fan made online remake)
The Neverhood
Monkey Island games
System Shock
Deus Ex
Arcanum: of Steamworks and Majick obscura
7 Kingdoms I and II

Battletoads, the Arcade version
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

Panzer88 wrote:The Dig
Hexplore
Nox
Emperor:Battle for Dune
Total Annihilation
Sam and Max: Hit the Road
XCOM: UFO Defense (also the fan made online remake)
The Neverhood
Monkey Island games
System Shock
Deus Ex
Arcanum: of Steamworks and Majick obscura
7 Kingdoms I and II

Battletoads, the Arcade version
Excluding batteltoads, way to miss the point.
_-|-_
Vault Dweller
Lurker

Post by Vault Dweller »

Panzer88 wrote:Arcanum: of Steamworks and Majick obscura
I fucking hated that games ending. The cap of level 50 was annoying too, but a quick download fixed that. I think I'll actually play that game now.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocture: Haven't had the time to play it until recently.
[quote="Magus'"]You are officially the first black wigger I've ever met.[/quote]
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Clements wrote:Star Ocean 3
Supreme Commander
I don't have SO3 and it seems to be a pain in the ass to find. As for Supreme Commander I would like to get that game if it weren't for the fact that to play these games on anything but the lowest setting (and without lag) requries double their "recommended" settings as proven by Gothic 3, Oblivion, F.E.A.R. and other recent games.

What's your rig and how does it run for you?
sweener2001 wrote:
Cyrus wrote: There was a full thread about ECM a while back but I've long since forgotten about it. Google time... actually a link wouldn't hurt, you have one?
http://www.neillcorlett.com/ecm/

i wish he had something similar for dvd size iso's. but it's possible that they do something different so that a program like ECM would be pointless. i don't really know.
Thanks for the link. This would have been useful back in the old days when hard drives were small.
Agozer wrote:
SquareHead wrote:Nanaca Crash
\o/

Yes.
I think we've all played that at one point or another. I found it a while ago on your site.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

it still comes in handy for sharing.

we use it at the boat. at least i do
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Elite Beat Agents
Tetris DS
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Cyrus wrote:I'm looking for some plain game which requires no brain power (or at least no complex problem solving)

(...)
Sorry, but it will really not fit what you asked.

1- complex problem solving
Boxes, boulders, and magnets too.

2- brain power
Just going through the game implies either careful weapon planning or heavy chain + defense setups planning. The latter is the least time consuming, as long as you actually can pull the chains/reactions. Else, you'll die a lot, which ends up making it longer in real time than switching weapons.

Also - most of the bosses early on require chaining, even if you do your best at planning weapons - you just won't have any dedicated weapons for them. For instance, the golem is one of the first if not the very first 'evil' class enemy, and has so much defense you WILL need raging ache, which means dangerously low HP and high risk, and relying on impact guard/absorb damage reactions to survive.

In short, it's not a brainless game. Even the plot can make your head hurt.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Cyrus wrote:
Clements wrote:Star Ocean 3
Supreme Commander
I don't have SO3 and it seems to be a pain in the ass to find.
Ordered it brand new two weeks ago from Amazon for about 16 quid, and was delivered the next day.
Cyrus wrote:As for Supreme Commander I would like to get that game if it weren't for the fact that to play these games on anything but the lowest setting (and without lag) requries double their "recommended" settings as proven by Gothic 3, Oblivion, F.E.A.R. and other recent games.

What's your rig and how does it run for you?
Runs well enough on Medium quality, no AA. Lags when you have hundreds of units on screen. Athlon64 X2 3800+@ 2.4GHz, 6800 Ultra.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

grinvader wrote:
Cyrus wrote:I'm looking for some plain game which requires no brain power (or at least no complex problem solving)

(...)
Sorry, but it will really not fit what you asked.

1- complex problem solving
Boxes, boulders, and magnets too.

2- brain power
Just going through the game implies either careful weapon planning or heavy chain + defense setups planning. The latter is the least time consuming, as long as you actually can pull the chains/reactions. Else, you'll die a lot, which ends up making it longer in real time than switching weapons.

Also - most of the bosses early on require chaining, even if you do your best at planning weapons - you just won't have any dedicated weapons for them. For instance, the golem is one of the first if not the very first 'evil' class enemy, and has so much defense you WILL need raging ache, which means dangerously low HP and high risk, and relying on impact guard/absorb damage reactions to survive.

In short, it's not a brainless game. Even the plot can make your head hurt.
I find it much more fun to try and chain together many, many attacks. It takes a lot longer this way and is a bit more challenging. This early in the game, you will not miss as your chains build up, even if Risk is at 100. i love talking about this game. I'm sure sully will jump in at some point as well. Just thinking about it makes me happy. I gave it to a friend of mine recently. He started playing it last night. I haven't asked him how he got on though.