Which sound options to use?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

HunterKiller_
Hazed

Which sound options to use?

Post by HunterKiller_ »

What exactly is the difference between those sound and low-pass filters?
Which combination should be used to achieve the best sound quality?

I've seen a page somewhere about this before, but can't find it now.

Thanks.
HunterKiller
<========]----+
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

gaussian and none.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Krade
Rookie

Post by Krade »

If I remember correctly, irrelevant interpolation options like 8-point and cubic are going to be gone in the next release, anyway.
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

For me
Interpolation:Cubic
Lowpass:Hi Q

gives the best quality.
Krade wrote:If I remember correctly, irrelevant interpolation options like 8-point and cubic are going to be gone in the next release, anyway.
too bad ,if right .that'd cause me to use 1.50 forever I guess.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

SonGoku1905 wrote: too bad ,if right .that'd cause me to use 1.50 forever I guess.
You mean 1.51.
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

Kajuru wrote:
SonGoku1905 wrote: too bad ,if right .that'd cause me to use 1.50 forever I guess.
You mean 1.51.
umm...no I mean 1.50 because I don't like the bottom lines in 1.51 and using 1.50 at the moment.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Which sound options to use?

Post by grinvader »

HunterKiller_ wrote:What exactly is the difference between those sound and low-pass filters?
The snes uses 4-point gaussian interpolation to smooth out the pcm samples obtained after BRR decompression.
If you don't use any interpolation, it's gonna sound like total crap. The cubic and 8-point interpolations are just different methods of interpolation, that give different smoothing results on the samples. Tastes and opinions then affect which is 'best'.

Low-pass filter is an equalizer-similar feature that changes relative volumes depending the frequency. I never looked into it much, but I assume that the various options in zsnes have different equalizer configs. Dynamic and HQ probably update their own settings depending the range of frequencies they work with.

Anyway, just toy around and keep the options you like best, since that's the point of having them.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

SonGoku1905 wrote:For me

gives the best quality.
Krade wrote:If I remember correctly, irrelevant interpolation options like 8-point and cubic are going to be gone in the next release, anyway.
Ok, that is a lame excuse to stick with an old version. At least the netplay guys have a valid reason... this one is stupid.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

Deathlike2 wrote:

gives the best quality.
Ok, that is a lame excuse to stick with an old version. At least the netplay guys have a valid reason... this one is stupid.
Oh, I didn't mean that. Of course it wouldn't be any logical to use an old version all the time just because of a single sound interpolation option
umm...no I mean 1.50 because I don't like the bottom lines in 1.51 and using 1.50 at the moment.
I was implying about the lines.
Is it true that sound filters will be gone in next release ? I thought they were good.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

SonGoku1905 wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

gives the best quality.
Oh, I didn't mean that. Of course it wouldn't be any logical to use an old version all the time just because of a single sound interpolation option
I was implying about the lines.
Is it true that sound filters will be gone in next release ? I thought they were good.
They are gone because they were part of the old DSP, which is now replaced with blargg's DSP. The choice between sound filters with the occasional inaccurate sound and no sound filters with more accurate sound is very simple.

The line issue is also a rather stupid reason anyhow, though I can see why it is distracting. It is not "the end of the world" as people are making it out to be.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

I to agree with Deathlike. The difference in the filters is too minor/relative to keeping you from getting anything above 1.50.

Off topic example for keeping an old version: DOS port. I have an ancient comp that can't run Windows version for playability reasons(Dos port: 60FPS, Windows port: 5~12FPS). After they drop the Dos port, I'll need to keep whatever last version is available, until I get a new comp(not happening this year). But if I had a choice, I would ALWAYS use the latest version/WIP.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

just like any filters, they are a matter of personal preference.

as for the line on the bottom of the screen, why would they have programmed it any color but black if they didn't want you to see it ;)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

its filler, they pre render stuff on that line before showing it in places normally visible on a tv.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

franpa wrote:its filler, they pre render stuff on that line before showing it in places normally visible on a tv.
No.
Shut up.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Jipcy
Veteran

Re: Which sound options to use?

Post by Jipcy »

HunterKiller_ wrote:I've seen a page somewhere about this before, but can't find it now.
http://zsnes-docs.sourceforge.net/html/ ... nfig_sound
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

grinvader wrote:
franpa wrote:its filler, they pre render stuff on that line before showing it in places normally visible on a tv.
No.
Shut up.
o_O? could you please provide info on this? eg: a link to a website or article...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

HunterKiller_
Hazed

Post by HunterKiller_ »

Thanks for the replies, guys.
HunterKiller
<========]----+
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

and didnt snes dev's and nes dev's take advantage of the overscan area for pre rendering stuff?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa wrote:and didnt snes dev's and nes dev's take advantage of the overscan area for pre rendering stuff?
It is either garbage (an actual line that not ment to be rendered), or an actual line to be rendered. Both intentional.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

franpa wrote:and didnt snes dev's and nes dev's take advantage of the overscan area for pre rendering stuff?
On the NES, some games stole the first and last row of tiles for extra work area(NOT pre-rendering, as the entire concept is foreign to the hardware design).
As I understand it, on the SNES, those 16 lines simply don't exist. Meaning the SNES' "normal" display res is 256*224 VS the NES' 256*240.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

And this "extra work area" can be used by the programmer as an extension of VBlank for loading graphics data into VRAM.

The SNES hardware only loads the data for one line into its buffers - that's the only thing you could call "pre-rendering".
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

creaothceann wrote:And this "extra work area" can be used by the programmer as an extension of VBlank for loading graphics data into VRAM.

The SNES hardware only loads the data for one line into its buffers - that's the only thing you could call "pre-rendering".
I wouldn't exactly call loading tiles into VRAM pre-rendering.
Term usually means drawing a frame before it's ready for display, as I understand things. Neither of the consoles in question is set up to do that.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I wouldn't exactly call loading tiles into VRAM pre-rendering.
Sorry, wasn't my intention to imply that.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list