DSP-3 Support

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

DSP-3 Support

Post by Nach »

Some say it couldn't be done.
It's been done.

However note that not all the opcodes have been successfully RE'd yet.

Encourage Overload to finish the other opcodes :)
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by byuu »

Kickass, I didn't realize DSP-3 was still being worked on actively.

Go, Overload! :D
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote:Kickass, I didn't realize DSP-3 was still being worked on actively.
It's not AFAIK, but we just added it now.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by snkcube »

Holy shit, that's awesome. Congrats to all of those who worked on it.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
VietBitter
Rookie

Post by VietBitter »

Well done and thanks.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Whoa. Kudos. Seriously.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Excuse my ignorance, but what game is that? Also, what are other known games that use DSP-3?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
KingHanco
Hazed

Post by KingHanco »

Very nice. 8)
"Zsnes is the best one there is." :)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Joe Camacho wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what game is that? Also, what are other known games that use DSP-3?
SD Gundam GX, the only DSP-3 game AFAIK.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Sith
Lurker

Post by Sith »

Great Job! 8)
[url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/]Zsnes WIP[/url]
[url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/?page=bsnes]Bsnes[/url] by Byuu
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion[/url] by SteveSnake
[url=http://www.viceteam.org/]Vice[/url] by Viceteam
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

Nice!... Great job!

Here is the DSP Chip information, taken from Wikipedia:

DSP-1 chip: This fixed-point Digital Signal Processor chip was created to allow programmers to generate more enhanced Mode 7 rotation and scaling effects in their games, and to perform very fast vector-based calculations. The chip can be found most notably in Pilotwings and Super Mario Kart, as well as a few other games. Later revisions of the chip, the 1A and 1B, were functionally the same but included bugfixes in their internal math calculations.

DSP-2 chip: A bitmap scaling and bitplane conversion chip used only in one game cartridge, Atari's port of Dungeon Master to the SNES console.

DSP-3 chip: An assistant chip used only in one Japanese game for the Super Famicom titled SD Gundam GX. Although this chip does handle graphics decompression and bitplane conversion, a large portion of memory inside this chip is dedicated to rendering a very complicated title screen, leading one to the likely conclusion that its inclusion was more intended to prevent the game from being easily pirated.

DSP-4 chip: A DSP used in only one game cartridge, Top Gear 3000. It primarily helped out with drawing the race track, especially during the times that the track branched into multiple paths, which was a unique feature of this type of game at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Nintendo
avoidz
Rookie

Post by avoidz »

I hadn't heard of the DSP-3 before, but great work! :)
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

That's one fucked up title screen.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I just realized that the wikipedia page doesn't list the SPC7110 chip.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Excellent work! I'm curious to know... was this the final remaining special chip? Or are we still using gfx packs for something? If it is the last, then that's a huge milestone.
www.zapatabase.com
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

FitzRoy wrote:Excellent work! I'm curious to know... was this the final remaining special chip? Or are we still using gfx packs for something? If it is the last, then that's a huge milestone.
Remember it's not finished.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

FitzRoy wrote:Excellent work! I'm curious to know... was this the final remaining special chip? Or are we still using gfx packs for something? If it is the last, then that's a huge milestone.
We still need packs for SPC7110. The algo isn't cracked yet.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

DSP-1, 3 and 4 arent finished. 1 only has that one opcode left that isn't bit-perfect.
SETA ST-011 and ST-018 aren't finished (is the ST-010 complete?).
BS-X if you count that isn't even close.
Super System lacks the menu screen, I believe. I'd like some info on this btw if anyone has any, I can't find any technical docs on it anywhere.
Hell, even the S-RTC isn't fully emulated, there are assumptions and missing commands in quite possibly the easiest chip in the world to emulate. And yet, since I can't test anything myself...
I would be surprised if SA-1 emulation was complete.
No idea about SFX, but safe to assume that only the minimum necessary to emulate the games that use it has been implemented.
C4 is not bit perfect.

It's also important to note that not a single special chip has any timing emulation whatsoever. On the real chips, you have to give them commands and wait for completion. In emulation, the chips complete their commands instantaneously every time. So basically, special chip games run too fast in emulators. The amount varying based on the complexity and usage of the chip involved.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Yes, but the SA-1 and SFX are much quicker than the SNES main CPU. I wouldn't imagine you'll get many delays.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Well, I wasn't meaning to say all special chips were emulated perfectly, but supported rather. Is this at least the case now with dsp3 stuff in?
www.zapatabase.com
byuu

Post by byuu »

No, the ST-011 and ST-018 are nothing more than shells at present, as far as I know. And I hope to god it stays that way. To spend weeks (or months) reverse engineering "Quick-move Shogi Match with Nidan Rank-holder Morita 2" when we don't even have basic SNES features such as mid-scanline PPU changes or bit-perfect DSP sound output emulated first, is an absolute travesty.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

about LDAWG's post:

uhm. :oops:

I wrote that wikipedia section... Is there anything incorrect about what was said?

I also went in with an axe into the Super FX section. I just couldn't stand it saying that the Super FX 2 was dual core.

Well, I wrote everything except the "(Game which works fine with latest ZSNES version from http://ipherswipsite.com)" advertisement.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

K, my bad. I'll uhh... put away the champagne.
www.zapatabase.com
davej-uk

Post by davej-uk »

AntoineWG wrote:I just realized that the wikipedia page doesn't list the SPC7110 chip.
Well add it then! All information in Wikipedia is contributed by visitor's to the site.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

davej-uk wrote:
AntoineWG wrote:I just realized that the wikipedia page doesn't list the SPC7110 chip.
Well add it then! All information in Wikipedia is contributed by visitor's to the site.
We know.