Super Bomberman 3-5 issues

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Ry_Guy

Super Bomberman 3-5 issues

Post by Ry_Guy »

Alright, so me and a friend have been trying to netplay the Super Bomberman series. Both 1 and 2 worked perfectly fine online without a hitch, but 3-5 would freeze on us in mid-game after a random amount of time playing (short amount of time, however.) The freeze was unusual in that the ROM itself seemed to freeze up, because the client seemed fairly unaffected. We could chat whilst the game froze up on us and such.

Anyway, we moved from 1.42 to 1.36 in order to see if it was an emulator issue, and that apparently fixed the problem for us. 3 and 4 were completed, and 5 we have gotten through the first 2 worlds, but for whatever reason the emulator will not even so much as load the ROM properly. Every time we try to load the ROM, the emulator freezes completely for the one starting the game, and the netplay client closes in the other player's emulator, effectively kicking them off of the server (the emulator for the person being kicked still runs, but the netplay window just goes poof basically.)

All we want to do is just play some freakin' Bomberman here. Does anyone know for whatever reason either of these two issues might occur? We're at a loss of what to do, and we'd like to finish the series.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Please post the rom's info.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Ry_Guy

Post by Ry_Guy »

File: Super Bomberman 5 (J).smc
Company: Hudson Soft
Name: Hu SUPER BOMBERMAN 5
Header: SWC
Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: No
SRAM: 64Kb
Type: Normal + Batt
ROM: 16Mb
Video: NTSC
ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM)
Revision: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0xD5A5
CRC32: 06B1F0F5
MonkeyforaHead
Rookie

Post by MonkeyforaHead »

Old topic, but since it hasn't been resolved...

For 1.42, try disabling sound. It seems to be something to do with the game's audio (I'm guessing the music, as it's the only thing noticeably different from the first couple games) that causes hanging in netplay.
For great justice.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Netplay+SRAM (battery back-up save memory) causes the freeze in v 1.36. Try setting SRAM to "NONE" before you load the game or use version 1.337. I've also heard that if you wait a very long time, the game will *eventually* start.
pikachuu2

Post by pikachuu2 »

how long is "very long time" 1hr? 10 mins?
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

pikachuu2 wrote:how long is "very long time" 1hr? 10 mins?
A long time, as in 2 to 6 minutes approximately. As in 1.42 it usually starts up right away.
pikachuu2

Post by pikachuu2 »

MonkeyforaHead wrote:Old topic, but since it hasn't been resolved...

For 1.42, try disabling sound. It seems to be something to do with the game's audio (I'm guessing the music, as it's the only thing noticeably different from the first couple games) that causes hanging in netplay.
has that been tested and proven?