I want to translate ZSNES to Chinese, Can anyone teach me ?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Greatwriter

I want to translate ZSNES to Chinese, Can anyone teach me ?

Post by Greatwriter »

Because the Chinese characters at least need 10x10 fonts.
And I need to add thousands of Chinese characters.

But I don't konw how to handle. Can anyone teach me ?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

The font is currently fixed at 5x5 pixels per character. You'll have to wait until ZSNES has a new GUI.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Greatwriter

Post by Greatwriter »

Can I modify the display system to support bigger font?

Is it very difficult to modify ?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Greatwriter wrote:Can I modify the display system to support bigger font?
yes
Greatwriter wrote:Is it very difficult to modify ?
yes

Well, the ZSNES team can always use new members... :wink:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Explaining how to do it would be much slower than actually doing it. Wait patiently and it will be done eventually.

Patiently == don't ask when.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

you could translate the command line help and config files to make it somewhat usable to chinese users, though.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

paulguy wrote:you could translate the command line help and config files to make it somewhat usable to chinese users, though.
I don't think he's going to be targetting his translation for users with a command line, and I don't see how he's going to get chinese into the config files.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Aerdan »

He could if he used UTF-8 or smth.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Aerdan wrote:He could if he used UTF-8 or smth.
Yes, however from his other posts I gathered this is for Windows, which is very pro UTF-16.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Greatwriter »

Nach wrote:
Yes, however from his other posts I gathered this is for Windows, which is very pro UTF-16.
:cry:
I just want to use GB2312 :lol:
And I really just compile the windows Version.
Nach wrote:
paulguy wrote:you could translate the command line help and config files to make it somewhat usable to chinese users, though.
I don't think he's going to be targetting his translation for users with a command line, and I don't see how he's going to get chinese into the config files.
Because I think ZSNES is the best emulator , and I hope more chinese can understand this software . So I hope to try my best to translate it.

Of course, my knowledge is so poor. I can't easy to do that.
This is why I need help in here.

MOD EDIT: Please don't double-post, there is an Image button for a reason.. Carry on.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Nach wrote:
No one from other countries use UTF-anything. Japan uses SJIS, Mandarin-speaking Chinese use GB2312, Cantonese-speaking Chinese use Big5, etc.

Anyway, I doubt many of these encodings have dual-byte characters that contain a 0x00 in them, so an 8-bit string should theoretically be read in correctly... am I missing something? Can't say I've done much non-English programming work in the past, but I've never had problems parsing SJIS strings using 8-bit char arrays in c++ for the script translations I've worked on. At least for SJIS and GB2312, you can avoid all special cases like reading the second-byte as 0x00, 0x0a, end-quote, etc by just checking the first byte to see if bit 7 (0x80) is set. If it is, read two characters. Else, one.

The only real problem will be increasing the height of the font. You'd never be able to fit everything on the screen that way, whereas increasing the width should be fine (and easy) since you need far less Hanzi than letters to form sentences.
Greatwriter

Post by Greatwriter »

No one from other countries use UTF-anything. Japan uses SJIS, Mandarin-speaking Chinese use GB2312, Cantonese-speaking Chinese use Big5, etc.
I think simplified Chinese use GB2312, traditional Chinese use BIG5.
Because I am also a Cantonese-speaking Chinese in GuangDong province. :P

Anyway, I doubt many of these encodings have dual-byte characters that contain a 0x00 in them, so an 8-bit string should theoretically be read in correctly... am I missing something? Can't say I've done much non-English programming work in the past, but I've never had problems parsing SJIS strings using 8-bit char arrays in c++ for the script translations I've worked on. At least for SJIS and GB2312, you can avoid all special cases like reading the second-byte as 0x00, 0x0a, end-quote, etc by just checking the first byte to see if bit 7 (0x80) is set. If it is, read two characters. Else, one.

The only real problem will be increasing the height of the font. You'd never be able to fit everything on the screen that way, whereas increasing the width should be fine (and easy) since you need far less Hanzi than letters to form sentences.
Thanks your help. So I want to use as small as the fonts in Chinese.
Maybe it looks not good, At least I begin to understand how to do this job. I will try your method . Thank you once more.
MOD EDIT: Please don't double-post, there is an button for a reason.. Carry on.
I am sorry~. I will pay attention to it.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I think simplified Chinese use GB2312, traditional Chinese use BIG5.
Ugh, I'm sorry for being disrespectful. I always mix up dialect and written language, even though the two are not mutually inclusive -- eg, Taiwanese speak Mandarin and use traditional characters.
Player1
Hazed

Post by Player1 »

The only solution that would be easy would be to write or modify one of the many frontends for Zsnes. Hope that is helpfull
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote:
Nach wrote:
No one from other countries use UTF-anything.
On Windows that may usually be the case, but for other OSs, it's not that way.
zones informs me Mac OS X for example only uses UTF-8.

Post by byuu »

On Windows that may usually be the case, but for other OSs, it's not that way.
zones informs me Mac OS X for example only uses UTF-8.
True, now as soon as Mac OS X gets a userbase >5% of the market, perhaps we can concern ourselves with this fact :/

In the mean time, nearly all websites and documents in these languages posted online will not be in UTF-anything. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one standard encoding, then I wouldn't have to reboot Windows or use some hackish program to run two different apps from two different locales. And it would be possible to see the filenames of all of my MP3s at once (some are simplified chinese, some are japanese).