Post v1.42 ZSNES WIPs

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

oops, i guess i could have done this too :)

9/28/06 - Revision #3929
ALL: Added IPS multipatch support. Goes from IPS, IP0, IP1, IP2, ..., IP9. Also made IPS extension code use new zpath functions. Let me know if any IPS abilities are problematic. [Nach]
ALL: Fixed issues with BIOS/Base carts. [Nach]
ALL: Fixed typo causing many games to freeze. [pagefault]
ALL: Auto Savestate Load/Save is really fixed. I'm not sure how this bug wasn't reported before... [Deathlike]
ALL: Battletoads intro fix [pagefault]
ALL: Changed the default keys for Player 2 to saner defaults. [Deathlike]
ALL: Expanded savestate increment option to support 100 savestates. Also added AutoIncSaveSlotBlock option for legacy behavior in individual blocks (0-9,11-19,etc). [Deathlike]
ALL: Fixed a crash if the internal name check fails for SPC7110 games. [Jonas Quinn]
ALL: Fixed all remaining bugs with the SPC7110. SPL4 and MDH are working correctly, now. [Jonas Quinn]
ALL: Fixed corrupted sound after loading a state. Savestates created with the latest WIP will have corrupted sound after loading it starting with this revision. [Jonas Quinn]
ALL: Fixed savestate increment/decrement keys. This should be the last of the require fixes. Also fixed something for VS compilers. [Deathlike]
ALL: Fixed some bugs that were discovered with Valgrind. [Nach]
ALL: Fixed Start at Latest Save option. [Deathlike], [Nach]
ALL: Force4:3Ratio should be applied after scanlines. [Deathlike]
ALL: Hopefully fix the 100% cpu usage while using the up+down buttons in the F3 menu. [Deathlike]
ALL: Hopefully fixed the black omen bug. Special thanks to pagefault. [Jonas Quinn]
ALL: Moved the SPC7110 stuff in it's own file. Less RAM usage. [Jonas Quinn]
ALL: Proper realpath() is now used per platform on command line init. [Nach]
ALL: Removed unneeded always on debug output from gui load menu. [Nach]
ALL: Fixed buffer overflow. [Nach]
ALL: Improved output of state messages. [Nach]
DOS: Fixed ROM loading of the cmdline for DOS when a VESA2 mode is selected. [Jonas Quinn]
DOS: Removed the NTSC filter from the DOS port for now. This lowers the RAM usage so it is possible to play Super Mario World on my old 486 with 16 MB of RAM again. [Jonas Quinn]
GUI: Added "Show Clock Box" and "Show Rom Info On Load" to the Options menu. Also fixed display of the shortcut key for the "Enable Clock" option. [Deathlike]
GUI: Change name of the clock option due to it being a misnomer. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fix dir browse bug, and some sanity to a check. Thanks Jonas Quinn. [Nach]
GUI: Fixed a case where in the F3 menu, the numerical quick keys and level selection did not update properly. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fixed clock display while in the F1/F3 menus. Also set default Palette0 setting to off because of rendering problems in certain games. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fixed F3 menu's screen refresh potentially sucking up CPU unnecessarily. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fixed GUI state key selection while not on level 0. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fixed inconsistency between toggling Auto Frame Rate by the button and by the shortcut key. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fixed slot level display when Start at Latest Save option is used. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fixed the cause of the cursor not staying where it should under certain circumstances. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fixed the GUI Pick Savestate menu.
GUI: Fixed underlined shortcut key for "Merge With Video" option. [Deathlike]
GUI: Now correctly displays the savestate number on save or load. [Deathlike]
GUI: Refreshing the screen twice is not needed. [Deathlike]
GUI: Renamed "Disable Screensaver" to "Disable Power Management" because of changed behavior. [Deathlike]
GUI: Savestate selection expansion via the F3 menu is now available. This needs further testing. Use up/down to decrease/increase the saveslot # by 10. [Deathlike], [Jonas Quinn]
GUI: Screen must be refreshed when Triple Buffering/Vsync is toggled. [Deathlike]
GUI: Some GUI tweaks for better use of existing space. [Deathlike]
GUI: Transitioning from Auto Frame Skip to Frame Skip (and vice versa) will now not have the display+buttons move when toggled. [Deathlike]
GUI: Since Jonas got screen refreshing in, displaying the slot level has become a reality! [Deathlike]
GUI: Updated list of supported formats. [Deathlike]
MSV: I don't know why I'm even commiting this, but apparently if you don't use the official method to compile MSVC, it may act stupidly without this fix. [Nach]
MSV: Fixed a VS compiler problem because it sucks. [Deathlike]
OSX: Mac OS X fixes and cleanup for ManyMouse. Still issues though with two-finger-scroll trackpad. [Nach]
PSR: Added in memory PSR backup and restore too. [Nach]
PSR: Added PSR_NOUPDATE define so reads don't update format with a write. [Nach]
PSR: Fixed a bug in the PSR parser which crept in from our change to use array handling functions and adding packed support. Good thing we weren't using this block of the parser since we added packed. [Nach]
PSR: Output of C file doesn't start till entire PSR is parsed. Now PSR_COMPRESSED can be defined within the PSR file on a per [pagefault]SR basis easily. [Nach]
PSR: PSR RAM usage lessened. Packed code only outputted when needed (also fixes warnings). Reading and Writing now uses function pointers for easy compressed support later. [Nach]
PSR: Some cleanup. Added GZip support to PSR. [Nach]
PSR: Fixed a bug with packed usage detection. [Nach]
PSR: Added variable dependancy support. [Nach]
PSR: Documented the undocumented compiling parameters. [Nach]
SDL: Fixed the case in the SDL port where the up+down numpad keys do not behave as intended. [Deathlike]
SDL: Removed a non-working SDL specific mode. You probably will need to edit your cfg file if you were previously using an OpenGL mode. [Deathlike]
SDL: Fixed bug when trackballs are present, also cleaned up joystick code a bit. [spoon0042]
SRC: Anything that clears vidbufferofsb should be consistent. [Deathlike]
SRC: Our path functions now work properly if file is an absolute path. [Nach]
SRC: Clean up. [Nach], [Deathlike], [pagefault]
SRC: Unified all time functions into one place, instead of port specific.
SRC: ROM loading functions now uses ZPath extension matching functions. [Nach]
TOL: Add another tool. [pagefault]
TOL: Set SVN properties of new tool. [Deathlike]
W_S: Directory name is now printed in the expanded area like files is in non DOS ports. [Nach]
W_S: Fixed NTSC toggle [pagefault]
W_S: Reposition 640x480 full for NTSC [pagefault]
WIN:Added a comment about the minimum res required by Keep4_3Ratio for the Windows port. [Deathlike]
WIN: Added mouse sensitivity for Windows port. [Deathlike]
WIN: Changed "High Priority Mode" to "Use A Higher Priority" and Above Normal Priority is used on NT OSes. [Deathlike]
WIN: Changed default video mode the Windows port uses due to sanity reasons. Also, a check was added to prevent the black screen (and maybe double vision) issue. A message box will now pop up to tell you what options you have. [Deathlike]
WIN: Disable Screensaver Option now disables all annoying power management stuff. [Deathlike]
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Palin wrote:Mmm, I love visiting this thread every several weeks and reading all the new changes. My thanks go out to all the developers who have way more work ethic than I could ever muster.

I was wondering, though, I wanted to play Chrono Trigger again and I'm going to play it on ZSNES (since my SNES is currently missing its cables.) I know that there are some graphical glitches (Black Omen bug) and some sound problems (square sound rape bug) but what I wanted to know was if I use the latest WIP or SVN build with Zget, are there any documented bugs that will outright crash the game or make it unplayable?
No, not to my knowledge. On the other hand, "Square Sound Rape Bug" is not a technical term. The correct term is more like "certain PCM behavior not properly emulated".
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Great job on the WIP once again.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I think this might be the largest WIP done in about 3 weeks of time. I'm shocked for one thing.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by xamenus »

The changelog for the next official release is going to be absolutely humongous indeed.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

xamenus wrote:The changelog for the next official release is going to be absolutely humongous indeed.
And the docs are still behind :wink:
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

I was messing with Chrono Trigger and there seems to be a problem with Revision #3929 (compiled using Zget and full optimizations.)

Code: Select all

NSRT v3.3 - Nach's SNES ROM Tools

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: Chrono Trigger (U) [!].smc
       Name: CHRONO TRIGGER         Company: Square
     Header: NSRT                      Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: No                        SRAM: 64 Kb
       Type: Normal + Batt              ROM: 32 Mb
  ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM)       Revision: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0x788C              CRC32: 2D206BF7
        MD5: A2BC447961E52FD2227BAED164F729DC
--------------------------Database--------------------------
   Name: Chrono Trigger
 Port 1: Gamepad                  Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: RPG                     Genre 2: Turn Based
-------------------------NSRT Header------------------------
Version: 2.2
 Port 1: Gamepad                 Port 2: Gamepad
When watching the intro, the music somehow becomes de-synced with the video. The music ends several seconds before the Epoch jumps through time, when its supposed to end right as the Epoch jumps (and the intro goes back to the beginning.) This might be related to the other problem I found, where the screen flickers black whenever a sprite is added or removed from battle screens (at least that's what the behavior looks like to me.)
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

Oh, and this is probably my own stupidity, but I can't get the paths to work. I have all three set in the GUI menu, but SRAM doesn't save, and when I do a savestate it says "UNABLE TO SAVE."

deadscreem

Post by deadscreem »

In the latest wip there is some missing text in the Mega man x3 intro (when the robot is onscreen with the doppler D logo)
This worked fine in the previous Sep. 4th wip.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

And I have verified this bug.

Code: Select all

NSRT v3.3 - Nach's SNES ROM Tools

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: Mega Man X 3 (U) [!].smc
       Name: MEGAMAN X3             Company: Capcom
     Header: SWC                       Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: No                        SRAM: 0 Kb
       Type: C4                         ROM: 16 Mb
  ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM)       Revision: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0x4055              CRC32: FA0FE671
        MD5: CFE8C11F0DCE19E4FA5F3FD75775E47C
--------------------------Database--------------------------
   Name: Megaman X 3
 Port 1: Gamepad                  Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: Shooter                 Genre 2: Platform
Last edited by ShadowFX on Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

Palin wrote:Oh, and this is probably my own stupidity, but I can't get the paths to work. I have all three set in the GUI menu, but SRAM doesn't save, and when I do a savestate it says "UNABLE TO SAVE."
It may not accept relative paths ?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

no... zsnes is not able to create folders itself... just make the folders from within windows explorer or what ever and then try saving in zsnes... tho's paths you specified work for me.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
geoslake
Rookie

Post by geoslake »

F1 grand prix : still flickers a lot (speed counter etc)
Works perfect in snes9x
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

franpa wrote:no... zsnes is not able to create folders itself... just make the folders from within windows explorer or what ever and then try saving in zsnes... tho's paths you specified work for me.
Yep, that was my problem, I didn't create the folders myself (silly that I didn't think to try that.) Documentation indicated that relative paths worked, and I had already tried an absolute path anyhow.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

deadscreem wrote:In the latest wip there is some missing text in the Mega man x3 intro (when the robot is onscreen with the doppler D logo)
This worked fine in the previous Sep. 4th wip.
That has to do with the battletoads fix... switching to the old graphics engine will not have this issue.
Palin wrote:When watching the intro, the music somehow becomes de-synced with the video. The music ends several seconds before the Epoch jumps through time, when its supposed to end right as the Epoch jumps (and the intro goes back to the beginning.) This might be related to the other problem I found, where the screen flickers black whenever a sprite is added or removed from battle screens (at least that's what the behavior looks like to me.)
This bug has started way before the WIP.. and that's directly related to timing and it has been mentioned many times before.
geoslake wrote:F1 grand prix : still flickers a lot (speed counter etc)
Works perfect in snes9x
I'm assuming some sort of timing error here.. even though you did not post an NSRT log (you should post one when you post bugs).
Stifu wrote:
Palin wrote:Oh, and this is probably my own stupidity, but I can't get the paths to work. I have all three set in the GUI menu, but SRAM doesn't save, and when I do a savestate it says "UNABLE TO SAVE."
It may not accept relative paths ?
Relative paths should work. As mentioned earlier, ZSNES does not create folders/directories.
byuu

Post by byuu »

geoslake wrote:F1 grand prix : still flickers a lot (speed counter etc)
Works perfect in snes9x
I posted this fix to the IRC room.

Both F1 Grand Prix and Sink or Swim set VIRQ to the same scanline it's already on, and they both expect an IRQ to fire.
Ex: F1 sets VIRQ for line 8, it hits line 8 eventually, does some stuff, and then sets VIRQ for line 9 while it's on line 9, and expects another IRQ to fire immediately, not on the next frame.
Also, if you have HIRQ enabled, you have to set HIRQ >= current HCOUNTER in order to trigger the HIRQ again.
Current theory is that there's basically some sort of "irq lock" flag that is cleared each scanline.

And if you're really bored, add OAM reset on "$2100.d7 1->0" transistion. You'll save yourself another bugfix when your timing gets a little better.
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

whats this? two days in a row?

9/29/06 - Revision #3930
ALL: Fixed case sensitive issue in isextension(). [Nach]
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

ipher wrote:whats this? two days in a row?
It's madness I tell you!
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

ipher wrote:whats this? two days in a row?

9/29/06 - Revision #3930
ALL: Fixed case sensitive issue in isextension(). [Nach]
That was quick.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
xMetaRidley
Rookie

Post by xMetaRidley »

ipher wrote:ALL: Added IPS multipatch support. Goes from IPS, IP0, IP1, IP2, ..., IP9. Also made IPS extension code use new zpath functions. Let me know if any IPS abilities are problematic. [Nach]
That was a nice surprise, I remember requesting that a year or two ago. Thanks :)
byuu

Post by byuu »

UPS would be a nicer surprise :D
Blasingame
Hazed

Post by Blasingame »

I can't seem to get a claean aspect ratio with the the NTSC filter on people's WIPs, is that because it still being developed or have I done something wrong in the config? My main problem is that when i goto full screen the image is stretched. maybe it's my monitor, i'm using a 17"
ShadowFX
Regular

NTSC Filter Tab

Post by ShadowFX »

I'm using build #r3974 with the revised video filter tabs. ipher asked for feedback so here's one thing I've noticed:

I'm almost sure this is caused by these updates so I thought opening a new thread is overkill this time. The picture speaks for itself, I hope :)
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Blasingame
Hazed

Post by Blasingame »

ya i got the newest WIP from ipher but still can't seem to get the proper aspect ratio for the NTSC filter. anyone know code that could work that i would put in my zsnes.cfg?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Blasingame, what "ratio" are you referring to? It is stretched automatically. I don't think it could be any more self explantory that it currently is though. 4:3 (normal TV ratio) can be applied.. if you want 8:7 though, that's a different story.

EMu-LoRD, it's been fixed in SVN.