So who else got there Wii today

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Lizking
Hazed

Post by Lizking »

I got mine after waiting for 4 hours. I was 79/81.

Wiisports is incredibly fun, although Golf is just fucking broken.

Zelda is looking like a title that could possibly topple OoT as my favorite zelda game, and I'm only 4 hours into it!

the sword slashing is pretty natural, though sometimes I mess up. Aiming is just perfect. The only thing i dont like is that when you're aiming with the slingshot or boomerang, you can't switch to another weapon without first putting the one you're holding away first.

oh, and the fishing sucks.
XFALGFM G: A YAUUSK
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I think I'll actually need to preorder the Wii for the Euro launch in about two weeks as I've heard it sold out everywhere in the US, with many people camping outside stores to get theirs.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Clements wrote:I think I'll actually need to preorder the Wii for the Euro launch in about two weeks as I've heard it sold out everywhere in the US, with many people camping outside stores to get theirs.
nitnendo said they planned on selling a million units by christmas, so I wouldn't really worry.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

funkyass wrote:
Clements wrote:I think I'll actually need to preorder the Wii for the Euro launch in about two weeks as I've heard it sold out everywhere in the US, with many people camping outside stores to get theirs.
nitnendo said they planned on selling a million units by christmas, so I wouldn't really worry.
I thought it was 1 million for launch.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

I heard 4 million by the end of the year.
bringing Zsnes back
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank, so I wouldn't worry about supply
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/dead-w ... 215885.php -- :o last thing you'd expect out of Nintendo
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

adventure_of_link wrote:http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/dead-w ... 215885.php -- :o last thing you'd expect out of Nintendo
Well, Nintendo will fix those problems, free of charge. So I don't see the problem.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Well, it's not that they'll fix their fuckups, more like there were so many all at once.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

You can't expect every single unit to work right out of the box. Things get damaged in shipping or just randomly shit the bed.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

I totally thought I had bricked mine. I went to do the update, and about 35 minutes later, it said it failed right near the end! So I had to restart. I forget what error code it gave me. The Wii restarted and the screen was black for a lot longer than normal, and the TV screen kept resyncing for about 4 or 5 times. That's what really freaked me out.

Then the Wii decided to boot up. So I tried to update again since it said I needed to. (I tend to do this sort of thing against my best judgement sometimes.) Connect error. Tried again. The system went about half way and sat there for two hours. No way to abort it or anything. So I forced the thing off. Started back up. Same thing. I decided to wait until the early hours of the morning, did the update, Works fine.

I wish it would handle updates more like the PSP. Perhaps make a channel for it, or tell you that it's downloading and then installing, or at least something. Whoever came up with this crazy scheme is friggin nuts.
Gospel
Hazed

Post by Gospel »

It'd be cool if you could run an updater from the SD slot, instead of waiting forever on overloaded servers and finicky wireless connections.
Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

Gospel wrote:It'd be cool if you could run an updater from the SD slot, instead of waiting forever on overloaded servers and finicky wireless connections.
??? no, that would be an awful idea

I mean, I can already see that people are going to try to hack the Wii by simulating an update server on their networks, but allowing you to update it through the SD slot would just make things way too easy.
[quote="The Sage Of Time"]You're a cruel and terrible person.
Don't ever change.[/quote]
I don't think I've ever felt so touched before in my life
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

adventure_of_link wrote:Well, it's not that they'll fix their fuckups, more like there were so many all at once.
Many? According to the site, they have received only *2* emails.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

My Wii worked for 1 day. I had work, so my friend (who was anticipating Zelda WAY more than me) was putting the Wii to good use. He knows how to handle discs and is very careful with hardware. He had already logged about 9 hours of Zelda playtime. Yesterday, it started showing a message instructing me to "eject the disc and turn off the console" each time I insert a game disc. I could even put the disc in backwards and it says the same thing; when it shouldn't even try to read it (should just spit the disc back out). I can browse the menu of the Wii, but it locks up when I try to start the Mii channel and other channels are not yet accessible anyway. I can browse through the settings, but clicking on WiiConnect24 locks up the unit with a blank screen.

Shows error message and forces shutdown when:
-Inserting the disc (ANY disc including Gamecube, Wii, and audio CD; even when inserted backward in which case the Wii is *supposed* to just spit it out)
-Powering on with the disc inserted.

Locks up on black screen when:
-Selecting WiiConnect24 from the Wii settings
-Starting the Mii channel
-Starting any game (if you're lucky enough to avoid the error message upon insertion)

I don't remember what happens if I try to start the Photo channel, but I know that I didn't have an SD card inserted, though I don't remember any messages regarding it...so I assume it must have just locked up like the other channels.

The shop/news/updates/forecast/virtual console channels are all inaccessible if I recall correctly.

My brother set up WiFi and downloaded/installed a system update, but these problems all remained.

At some point before the update, my friend had it so that he could view the Zelda splash, but trying to start Zelda resulted in the black screen with the message.

This is very disappointing. I would exchange it, but no retailers in my area have restocked. If I could get through to Nintendo (the phone lines are JAMMED), I would request that they ship a new component video cable with my replacement Wii.
Need a new sig...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Why does this release sound like a disaster?

I get the feeling the PS3 will have some as well.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

That's sad Ichinisan.
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

What a piece of crap! What the hell happened to N's quality hardware? Sorry this happened to you, man. If you don't have anything critical saved (VC games, etc.) I hear N can ship you another one in 5 days or so. You might try emailing them and see what they say.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Lazz wrote:What a piece of crap! What the hell happened to N's quality hardware?
You're an idiot.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

I hate all of you. I want a Wii :(
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Anyone play Red Steel yet? I read some reviews but they mostly went on about the graphics instead of talking about the main thing - sword fighting.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Lizking »

A friend of mine bought it, and he described it as "clunky, awkward, and glitchy"
XFALGFM G: A YAUUSK
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

The replacement arrived yesterday and my friend quickly caught up to where he was in Zelda and completed the first dungeon. It's amazing that he was still interested in the game if after 9+ hours on his first attempt and he had not yet entered the forest temple :shock:
Need a new sig...
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

I want a wii so bad. I just want to play zelda. this kid I know already beat it. had like 48 hours play time. I want to chop off my penis and replace it with the wiimote.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I really need to go back and actually play the Zelda games starting with OoT before I start on Twilight Princess. Maybe after I finish Gears of War on Insane difficulty. I'm about halfway there.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]