Help (for a beginner!)

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

adeegee2k

Help (for a beginner!)

Post by adeegee2k »

Hi,

I have a Netgear DG834G router. I've been trying to play an internet game of Super Tennis with a friend, but it won't work. Originally, I couldn't connect at all, but after amending a few settings on the router I managed to connect (and we could reach the bit with the chat area). However, when he tried to load the game, all we get is a black screen and nothing starts. We tried to do it with me as server, but he couldn't even connect to my computer.

I have tried contacting Netgear for support and got no joy. Just wondering if anyone else could help me.

Thanks a lot.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Exactly what have you done with your router? Do you have any software firewalls? What about your friend?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
adeegee2k

Post by adeegee2k »

Joe Camacho wrote:Exactly what have you done with your router? Do you have any software firewalls? What about your friend?
My friend has played with other people so I'm pretty sure it's not an error on his end.

I turned windows firewall off, and I don't think there are any software firewalls (none that i know of anyway).

All I did with the router was try to open the ports, nothing too drastic. I'm totally clueless to be honest.
Master O
Hazed

Re: Help (for a beginner!)

Post by Master O »

adeegee2k wrote:Hi,

I have a Netgear DG834G router. I've been trying to play an internet game of Super Tennis with a friend, but it won't work. Originally, I couldn't connect at all, but after amending a few settings on the router I managed to connect (and we could reach the bit with the chat area). However, when he tried to load the game, all we get is a black screen and nothing starts. We tried to do it with me as server, but he couldn't even connect to my computer.

I have tried contacting Netgear for support and got no joy. Just wondering if anyone else could help me.

Thanks a lot.
1) Both of you switch to Zsnes 1.36. This is the last stable version of netplay, so that should solve 99.9% of your problems.

2) Make sure you have at least 1 save state (on both computers) for Super Tennis.

I say this because I had a similar problem to yours, but with NBA Jam T.E. in Zsnes 1.36 where it just blacked screened and hung upon netplay startup. On netplay startup, Zsnes checks for savestates and that may be why you're having problems.

3) Make sure you both have the exact same copy of the rom.

Both players must be port forwarded if they both have routers. All other security software has to have UDP port 7845 completely open.

4) Do you have any firewalls or other hidden security software? Is the Windows Firewall disabled?

5) If your friend's comp is blackscreening, ask him to fix his router/firewalls accordingly. http://www.portforward.com is your friend.
[quote="PhobosDK"]I see only
you are not serious
you'll get ignored

I think bad emulation that will be ignored...

We have choice about emulators.
Close your eyes and keep minor bugs update only.[/quote]

Fail....