ZSNES LAN Capabilities?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Bahamut
Rookie

ZSNES LAN Capabilities?

Post by Bahamut »

In a future update Zsnes, maybe a LAN feature should be considered.

This may seem like a stupid i dea at first, ut hear me out.

There is a program called Hamachi - any decent gamer will know about it
LogMeIn Hamachi is a zero-configuration virtual private networking (VPN) application.
In other words Hamachi is a program that allows you to arrange multiple computers into their own secure network just as if they were connected by a physical network cable.

If Zsnes had a LAN feature, it could take advantage of this awsome programs capabilties, and LAN means no more lag for us players! :D

If anyone is sick of lag on zbattle give this idea your support
Bahamut - "So hows thing going between you and Shiva, Ifrit?"

Ifrit - "I'm hot, she's cold"

Ifrit - "End of story"
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I have played Zsnes on my lan without any problems. I don't see what's your point.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Master O
Hazed

Post by Master O »

Joe Camacho wrote:I have played Zsnes on my lan without any problems. I don't see what's your point.
I think this thread starter meant 4 computer netplay in the same game.

I'll give an answer then: Until the netcode comes out, don't expect anything like that happening!
[quote="PhobosDK"]I see only
you are not serious
you'll get ignored

I think bad emulation that will be ignored...

We have choice about emulators.
Close your eyes and keep minor bugs update only.[/quote]

Fail....
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Since ZSNES connects to other comps while using TCP/UDP, a special "LAN" option is effectively the same thing.

I don't see the point. This thread will probably be locked since I don't think the op understands this detail.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Bahamut
Rookie

Post by Bahamut »

Do any of u actually know what hamachi is, have you used it?

Ifrit - "End of story"
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I have a decent idea, however all ZSNES needs to know is the IP of the other computer, whether Hamachi is in use or not.

Edit: Hamachi appears to provide an IP for you, so, I don't see an issue needing a specific "LAN option".

Sometimes I wonder if you even realize what ZSNES netplay actually entails.

Also, Hamachi will not "speed things up" as the connections in this "virtual LAN" will still be the same speed from each participant (in other words, a dialup user under this network will be slow, regardless). This will certainly NOT improve speeds over zbattle.

Please don't even suggest Hamachi speeds things up.. WHICH IT WILL NOT. It sounds more like something that would bypass firewalls. That's all. Even the software doesn't claim it speeds things up. It operates very similar to Kali (if it even still exists).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I don't really see how does this proposed "LAN option" differ from the existing TCP/UDP netplay, which already works on a private LAN or the internet. Presumably it would work on a VPN connection, just like any other network-ready application, which would be totally oblivious to the VPN.

Have you tried this Hamachi thing with ZSNES? Are you sure it doesn't work already? If all it does is provide a VPN tunnel, then ZSNES should work through it, you just need to put the virtual IP address of the host PC in the netplay dialog box and hit connect.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

AntoineWG wrote:I don't really see how does this proposed "LAN option" differ from the existing TCP/UDP netplay, which already works on a private LAN or the internet. Presumably it would work on a VPN connection, just like any other network-ready application, which would be totally oblivious to the VPN.

Have you tried this Hamachi thing with ZSNES? Are you sure it doesn't work already? If all it does is provide a VPN tunnel, then ZSNES should work through it, you just need to put the virtual IP address of the host PC in the netplay dialog box and hit connect.
Apparently, we have some older threads suggesting the use of this app. It probably might be useful for some people since it does work. However, this means no extra work is needed on ZSNES's end, so I think this request is moot.
Bahamut
Rookie

Post by Bahamut »

maybe i gave u the wrong idea

because zbattle has only one server(in the us) that means that some cant play or its just too slow

with hamachi this problem would be eliminated, its my first post guys-so dont rip me apart

Ifrit - "End of story"
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I think you're misunderstanding us. ZSNES should be totally oblivious to the fact that you're connected to another PC by a VPN tunnel and it should work just like you're on the same LAN.

Until the netplay rewrite that's in the works is finished, it still won't allow more than 2 computers to use netplay at a time and it won't be any faster, less laggy or less prone to de-syncing than existing netplay is.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Bahamut wrote:maybe i gave u the wrong idea

because zbattle has only one server(in the us) that means that some cant play or its just too slow

with hamachi this problem would be eliminated, its my first post guys-so dont rip me apart
Bullcrap.

Hamachi may solve people not being able to access zbattle.net, but it will never make it any faster. Virtual Private Networks don't work that way, read up about them on wikipedia or something.

That being said, zsnes already has what it need to work over a VPN.

lock.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Bahamut wrote:maybe i gave u the wrong idea
You have no idea what you're talking about for the most part though.

ZBattle is more of a frontend to ZSNES netplay. You are connected to a server to find other people, but ZSNES is told the relevent info to connect each other (not dependant of the server). The slowdown comes from either dialup users, or not-so-great ZSNES netcode.

Hamachi DOES NOT eliminate this problem. It only eliminates firewall issues. That's all. It does not improve network connections. It does not make dialup or any other connection miracally go faster. You need to understand that Hamachi is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Pr ... #Tunneling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi

Thread locked due to lack of understanding by original poster.