ZSNES No Gui Mode

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

superm1

ZSNES No Gui Mode

Post by superm1 »

I am using a plugin for mythtv for linux (for the curious inquire at www.mythtv.org ) called mythgame. It basically handles a frontend for all gaming emulation, and catalogs all of my games. Now it adds two switches to the command line " -m -j " particularly, -m is supposed to disable gui and -j to disable mouse. Now that is all fine, except that this commandline never works. Even if i exist myth and try to launch from a terminal window, same results. If I launch without the nogui switch (-m), things work fine.

The command line is basically:

/usr/local/bin/zsnes -m -j %1, where %1 is the game name and path. Every time this command will just return the usage of zsnes. Any idea what I could do about this?
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

I haven't had time to play with it, but it's possible that the command line switch functionality was botched in one of the past updates. If so, Nach will almost certainly be able to fix it.

Did you try the latest WIP version?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I confirm. Latest WIP and 1.36 can't use -m switch.
-j works ok.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
superm1

Post by superm1 »

So until a new version / patch is out, can someone confirm a version that will work that I can obtain?
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

I would try 1.337.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

-m works fine for me with CVS.
Just make sure you have it loading a game from the command line, -m is pointless if you don't have a game loaded.

A side note, glibc versions > 2.2 seem to have trouble loading a game from the command line, don't know why yet.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by grinvader »

Nach wrote:-m works fine for me with CVS.
Just make sure you have it loading a game from the command line, -m is pointless if you don't have a game loaded.
Duh, of course I give it a game to load. :þ
It doesn' t work.
A side note, glibc versions > 2.2 seem to have trouble loading a game from the command line, don't know why yet.
I'm using glibc 2.3.3, so that may be the cause.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

I still haven't tested, but I bet the problem is related to the fact that ZSNES immediately exits if you run it from another directory than it is located in.

Example:
C:\>Emulators\SNES\ZSNES\zsnesw.exe smw.zip -m -j

^if the ROM path is not correct, ZSNES would exit without any error at all. It would appear as if the command was completely ignored.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I run it from any directory and have no trouble at all.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by superm1 »

I have tried with CVS, and even if the game is in the same directory as zsnes, it still doesnt launch. So what other culprits are there, glibc, gcc, nasm what?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

As I already said: glibc versions > 2.2 are broken. Someone screwed up getopt() in them. I currently have someone looking into the problem with glibc.

Any luck with glibc?

Post by jasonwoods »

I just set up a Fedora 2 box and I've run into this same problem. Fedora Core 2 comes w/2.3.3 and obviously that does not work for command line. I've tried the latest WIP version and still no love... I am running a home theater program called mythTV and it uses command line arguements to load games. I prefer zsnes over snes9x because of it's features (like full screen actually working) but I can't use it without command line capabilities.
Is this a bug being worked on or is there a work around yet?

I've set up all my options in the gui so all I need is:

zsnes /location/of/games/game.zip
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It's not zsnes' fault. What are we supposed to do, submit a bug report to the glibc guys ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

jasonwoods

Post by jasonwoods »

I didn't mean to imply that zsnes had a bug. I was wondering if the zsnes developers had a patch for glibc or a work around. Since this affects you, I thought you might be working on it. I realize your difficulties and in no way assume you can make glibc do anything. My appologies for not being clear. :oops:
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

jasonwoods wrote:I didn't mean to imply that zsnes had a bug. I was wondering if the zsnes developers had a patch for glibc or a work around. Since this affects you, I thought you might be working on it. I realize your difficulties and in no way assume you can make glibc do anything. My appologies for not being clear. :oops:
Take a look at this thread in the official bug topic. There is a patch that might fix it for you.

It allows me to pass command line game args to zsnes 10/24 WIP, where before I could not. I use glibc 2.3.4.
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
jasonwoods

Post by jasonwoods »

the patch works great! As you wrote before, I hope the zsnes team will include this patch in the next release!
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

jasonwoods wrote:I hope the zsnes team will include this patch in the next release!
I'm sorry, but your request has come in too late.