VBA-M

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Yes.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Alright. I'll post it as soon as they send my confirmation e-mail(Slow bastards!).
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Cool! Thanks!

Meanwhile, Spacy has now started on the new Qt4 system, and a test build is out for people that wanna play with it. No emulation functions are in it yet though...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Glad I was able to help y'all after you went well out of your way to help me.

I ordered some PC parts today, so I'll be using the normal builds soon.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

mudlord wrote:Meanwhile, Spacy has now started on the new Qt4 system, and a test build is out for people that wanna play with it. No emulation functions are in it yet though...
Yesssssss... I'm so pumped :D
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Spacy did some more work. Namely started to add in widgets for cheat support and such. I hope to start development too on it, as I got some GUI ideas that I always wanted added (namely I want to clean up the mess, that is all the menus being strewn around).
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

I can't tell you how pumped I am, I'm very excited for this gui to finally become a reality :D
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

I'm glad you like the progress so far.

I started working on the replacement options menu widget. Basically, all options are unified, with seperate categories for video, input and sound, with various different Oxygen icons for display purposes. I think it looks nice so far, and I like the style :wink: . Which is nice and simple, and much better than the current MFC mess. The prelim code for it is in SVN, so feel free if your on Linux, to make a compile and see how it looks.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Time for me to come clean... I'm almost completely inept with accessing/compiling stuff from SVN. I do know how to get the files onto my computer... I typed "svn co https://svn.bountysource.com/vbam/trunk vba-m" into my terminal and checked out the latest revision. Then I went into the main folder and just did a normal 'make', and the resulting executable works, though it doesn't seem to create a configuration file (or find gba-over.ini... not sure what that is). Now I'm stuck (go me!). I tried building the qt gui with the code in the wiki (qmake then make in the project/qmake directory). That got me this:

Code: Select all

qmake
WARNING: Found potential symbol conflict of sidewidget_cheats.cpp (../../src/qt/sidewidget_cheats.cpp) in SOURCES
WARNING: Found potential symbol conflict of sidewidget_cheats.h (../../src/qt/sidewidget_cheats.h) in HEADERS
and make:

Makefile:187: warning: overriding commands for target `sidewidget_cheats.o'
Makefile:169: warning: ignoring old commands for target `sidewidget_cheats.o'
Makefile:202: warning: overriding commands for target `moc_sidewidget_cheats.o'
Makefile:196: warning: ignoring old commands for target `moc_sidewidget_cheats.o'
Makefile:217: warning: overriding commands for target `../../src/qt/moc_sidewidget_cheats.cpp'
Makefile:211: warning: ignoring old commands for target `../../src/qt/moc_sidewidget_cheats.cpp'
g++ -c -pipe -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT  -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -o main.o ../../src/qt/main.cpp
In file included from ../../src/qt/main.h:22,
                 from ../../src/qt/main.cpp:19:
../../src/qt/precompile.h:24:23: error: QtGui/QtGui: No such file or directory
../../src/qt/precompile.h:25:29: error: QtOpenGL/QtOpenGL: No such file or directory
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:25: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:26: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘Q_OBJECT’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:28: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘public’
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:32: error: expected `:' before ‘slots’
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:33: error: expected primary-expression before ‘bool’
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:33: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘slots’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:33: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘bool’
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:41: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QApplication’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:41: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:42: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QTranslator’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:42: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:43: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QMenu’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:43: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:44: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QMenu’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:44: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:45: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QAction’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:45: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:46: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QMenu’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:46: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:47: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QMenu’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:47: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:48: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QDockWidget’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:48: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:50: error: expected `:' before ‘slots’
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:51: error: expected primary-expression before ‘bool’
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:51: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘slots’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:51: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘bool’
../../src/qt/main.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
../../src/qt/main.cpp:25: error: ‘QApplication’ was not declared in this scope
../../src/qt/main.cpp:25: error: expected `;' before ‘theApp’
../../src/qt/main.cpp:26: error: ‘QTranslator’ was not declared in this scope
../../src/qt/main.cpp:26: error: ‘translator’ was not declared in this scope
../../src/qt/main.cpp:28: error: ‘theApp’ was not declared in this scope
../../src/qt/main.cpp:28: error: new initializer expression list treated as compound expression
../../src/qt/main.cpp:29: error: ‘class MainWnd’ has no member named ‘show’
../../src/qt/main.cpp: At global scope:
../../src/qt/main.cpp:23: warning: unused parameter ‘argc’
../../src/qt/main.cpp:23: warning: unused parameter ‘argv’
make: *** [main.o] Error 1
Obviously I don't really know what I'm doing, but could you shed some light on this for me? I'd appreciate it.
I bring the trouble.
spacy51
VBA Ex-developer
VBA Ex-developer

Post by spacy51 »

Try the very latest SVN.

Mudlord forgot to declare Q_OBJECT for 3 classes, which has been fixed. Maybe this causes that. (Even though it worked with the MS compiler).
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

381 gave me a slightly smaller error, it seems.
EDIT: to save space, these two lines no longer come up, and some lines at the bottom are switched around, but say the same thing.

../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:41: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘QApplication’ with no type
../../src/qt/MainWnd.h:41: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token 
I bring the trouble.
etabeta
Rookie

Post by etabeta »

has anyone tried to compile vbam under macosx?

which parameters should I give to make not to have problems?

thanks
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Mudlord forgot to declare Q_OBJECT for 3 classes, which has been fixed. Maybe this causes that. (Even though it worked with the MS compiler).
Very strange, worked fine with mingw for me..... :? So, I never picked up the error. Sorry bout that.

has anyone tried to compile vbam under macosx?

which parameters should I give to make not to have problems?

thanks
Hmm, I haven't personally tried, but in the makefile, there is commands for a OSX based compile..
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Just to be clear, "slightly smaller error" means I still got an error, so still no go for me... any suggestions?
I bring the trouble.
spacy51
VBA Ex-developer
VBA Ex-developer

Post by spacy51 »

Hm, maybe there's a problem with the sidewidget_cheats.ui file having the same base-name as the .cpp and .h file.

On my build system however, the ui-file is made into "ui_sidewidget_cheats.h".
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I just tried out the February 15th binary this weekend and I must say I appreciate the efforts of this project. Your version of VBA-M looks, sounds, and plays better than any other single version I've previously used on the few games I tried. I'm sure the eventual official release will be a good one. :)
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

I just tried out the February 15th binary this weekend and I must say I appreciate the efforts of this project. Your version of VBA-M looks, sounds, and plays better than any other single version I've previously used on the few games I tried. I'm sure the eventual official release will be a good one.
Glad you like it Nightcrawler :)
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Wow. I tried the new build too and I'm really impressed! I can't believe that this is a beta release! Good job!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

8)

Thanks, glad you think so.

In the new Qt based GUI, I'm planning on adding more option tabs, but we need to think of the best way to lay it all out. As I intend for VBA-M to have a really intuitive feel, while still offering customizability, like how the CLI SDL port and Windows MFC build has things...
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Hi guys. I invested in an ATi card (HD 3850 AGP) for my main system, and now VBA-M and other VBA builds all take 100% resources from my CPU. Same with my laptop with a Mobile Radeon X700 - making use of VBA impossible on the move unless I feel like killing my battery.

I heard this was a long-standing ATi driver bug, but any idea how this can in future be solved somehow in the actual emulator? No other emulators have this bug to my knowledge.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Have you tried using Direct3D mode? Does it have the same issue?
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

It looks like ATi fixed this bug a while ago and I didn't notice. I tested again and the bug is gone in VBA-M and kode54's build. Sorry for the false alarm.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I feel like an idiot asking this.. but since this emu seems to be supported more.. I actually have quesitons. I'm not sure why kode54 "kinda" dropped off the face of the planet, but that's life. Anyways, onto the questions.

Will the savestates from kode's build work on this version? I'm not aware if there are changes to the format and/or core so go figure. I presume save files should work just fine though...

I can't think of any other relevent question off the top of my head... I will get around to trying this when I get the chance.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Will the savestates from kode's build work on this version? I'm not aware if there are changes to the format and/or core so go figure. I presume save files should work just fine though...
IIRC, we did have a format change, namely to do with implementing blargg's latest audio cores. Plus, the core is different to the one in kode54's build and the official, so odds say it might not work. Although, I haven't played around with his builds much, other than his source code.

As for kode54 dropping off the face of the planet, he is around. I last seen him on the foobar2000 forum, and he even updated his fb2k components (and released sources to some of them), so he is definitely alive.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

mudlord wrote:
IIRC, we did have a format change, namely to do with implementing blargg's latest audio cores. Plus, the core is different to the one in kode54's build and the official, so odds say it might not work. Although, I haven't played around with his builds much, other than his source code.
Ok, that's fine.
As for kode54 dropping off the face of the planet, he is around. I last seen him on the foobar2000 forum, and he even updated his fb2k components (and released sources to some of them), so he is definitely alive.
That's why I have "kinda" in quotes.

The only bug that I can tell is that if I attempt to use tab as a config key, the wrong key is changed (it changes the next input key instead). Using the current build on your SVN builds site.

It would be appreciated if some of the Emulator+Gameboy specific options via the Options menu be clarified a little. There was a site that detailed some of an older VBA's info, but I can't remember where that was.
blargg wrote:
As you know, if you load a savestate, it replaces your srm file with one from the state.
Save RAM and save states both save game progress, and save states provide all the functionality of save RAM and more. They work differently so conceptually it's awkward to try to mix them. If you want separate saved games, use more than one save state.

How would you reconcile them? Perhaps if game is started without save state, then load from the save RAM file and save to it when the game is closed (even if save states are then used), otherwise never touch the save RAM file? I haven't used VBA so I don't even know if you can start a game by clicking on its save state file, so the distinction between starting the game and starting with a save state might not even exist. Even if it did, it would be a subtle thing and leave the player unsure as to whether the save RAM file will get updated when quitting. Adding a confirmation dialog when quitting would just be annoying.

What's an example situation where the current behavior is a problem?
Metatron wrote:
blargg wrote:
As you know, if you load a savestate, it replaces your srm file with one from the state.
What's an example situation where the current behavior is a problem?
It was just a request, because accidentially loading an old state can be annoying when you've mostly been using standard SRAM saves. Happened once in Pokemon Fire Red. Not really a big deal but I asked for convienence.

I vaguely remember ZSNES being able to load a savestate without overwriting the SRAM, at least during Secret of Evermore, so I thought I'd ask.
The whole idea behind is to be able to view the savestate w/o modifying the currently saved games. An option that prevents saving to the .sav file to disk on exit would be helpful for some people. Personally speaking I wouldn't use it, since it is smarter IMO to create a savestate of your current save and store it away somewhere just in case of screwing up.

Also, why was DirectDraw dropped? Just curious.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...