Can't access ROMs over a network share?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

cha0s_fb

Can't access ROMs over a network share?

Post by cha0s_fb »

On Windows when I try to run zsnes, it seems I can't access my Windows file shares. Maybe zsnes needs support for UNC paths? For instance I should be able to type this in the file open dialog of zsnes:

\\winbox\roms\snes

which would bring me there.

I have tried creating a shortcut to the share and accessing it through the opening dialog... no luck!

Any way to get around/hack this or is it just an issue that won't be fixed?

Thanks!

EDIT: oops! let me clarify. If I type the entire path+file (\\winbox\roms\snes\lufia 2.smc), it works. Just doing the \\winbox\roms\snes part won't "explore" me to that directory, in order to browse the other files though. I should have tested that before I posted.
leilei
Rookie

Post by leilei »

Try mapping the drive to a letter; it's what it's there for. (Assuming you are on Windows, of course)
o^_^o
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The file browser assumes standard file paths, so ideally you want to map the network drive to a drive letter. However, since it is handling network paths on manual entry, that's an option, but it cannot be assumed by the app that one exists if you think about it.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
cha0s_fb

Post by cha0s_fb »

Well, could you guys clue me in on how to do that? I never knew that was possible before.
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

Follow this (assuming you are using Windows XP or 2000):
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... ive.mspx#2

Follow the instructions and your remote folder will be accessible using a drive letter, as if it were a local drive.

In the example they're using the letter Y: but you can select anything in the list.