Vote

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

Starman Ghost
Trooper

Vote

Post by Starman Ghost »

Do You? I did today(Canada). When is the american election coming?
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It's always the 2nd Tuesday of November.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

I also voted. My current riding usually votes along the same lines, so my vote was likely irrelevant but it had to be cast none the less.
bringing Zsnes back
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Deathlike2 wrote:It's always the 2nd Tuesday of November.
Why is it a Tuesday? Wouldn't a day when most people don't go to work make more sense?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Johan_H wrote:
Why is it a Tuesday? Wouldn't a day when most people don't go to work make more sense?
Hell if I know. It's been that way since... 1948.

Not that you can't stop in on your way to work, or after you come home, depending on when you work. Or sign on for early voting in most states.
And a lot of people don't work standard monday-friday 9-5 jobs.
Personally, I'd mandate that election day was a national holiday, and no business was allowed to occur. Sucks if you didn't get gas monday. :P
I'd also mandate that for labor day, but that's another story.
Fuckin' labor day sales. The holiday's meant to HONOR laborers, not generate more work for them.

And it's not the second tuesday. It's the tuesday following the first monday. So it's USUALLY the first tuesday, but if the month starts ona tuesday, it's the second tuesday.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Johan_H wrote:
Who knows... a federal holiday would make sense instead, but I doubt that would increase voter turnout in this day and age where the right to vote isn't taken seriously enough by many.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

well, these days it IS a 24/7 society where people have to work nights, weekends, and holidays so...

that being said, Ohio is the first state this year (afaik) to offer early voting.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I voted Green (as I have the past few elections) and volunteered to be a scrutineer. Voter turnout was low (59%) which contributed to the Liberals losing seats.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Johan_H wrote:
Who knows... a federal holiday would make sense instead, but I doubt that would increase voter turnout in this day and age where the right to vote isn't taken seriously enough by many.
Federal holiday doesn't mean much in the US.

Government and bank employees get the day off, but it's business as usual for everyone else.

Gay, yes?
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

In Canada, the elections act allows you 3 paid hours to go out and vote. Considering it only takes a few minutes to vote, it is ample (personally, I went to vote after work, and it only took a minute or two).
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

in america, americans can get the absentee ballot. that means they send a piece of paper to your house and you sign it, then let the postman pick it up while you shove another double cheeseburger down your throat in your lazy boy. it's a little better than voting machines that use 16 bit signed numbers instead of unsigned, thus causing more votes for a certain candidate.

and for those who can't make decisions without a famous face you'll never never meet telling you, then don't vote asshole.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I vote for rubber chicken

with a pulley in the middle
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

It's actually the Tuesday following the first Monday in the month. If November 1st were a Tuesday, then you would be correct and it would end up as the 2nd Tuesday.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Here in Mexico, in ballots, other than the candidates, there is a blank spot to write down who do you want to vote if none of the candidates are of your preference.

I saw "Batman", "Superman", "Goku" and "Me".

Last federal election I chose to work during the elections counting votes and taking care of the procedure, I got 500 pesos for that.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

casualsax3 wrote:
It's actually the Tuesday following the first Monday in the month. If November 1st were a Tuesday, then you would be correct and it would end up as the 2nd Tuesday.
It shows you how much I care.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

So, for those that want to know, its Nov 4 this year.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Gonzo
Regular

Re: Vote

Post by Gonzo »

Starman Ghost wrote:Do You? I did today(Canada).
I voted last November (Australia), and I won, hooray.
neoblaze
8-bit Moderator

Post by neoblaze »

I vote for pagefault!
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

badinsults wrote:In Canada, the elections act allows you 3 paid hours to go out and vote. Considering it only takes a few minutes to vote, it is ample (personally, I went to vote after work, and it only took a minute or two).
I have not seen a workplace in the US, where if one actually asked at least a day ahead of time, that they would be refused to be allowed to leave and vote.

Unpaid, and make up the time later? Probably. But not an outright refusal.
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

whicker wrote:
badinsults wrote:In Canada, the elections act allows you 3 paid hours to go out and vote. Considering it only takes a few minutes to vote, it is ample (personally, I went to vote after work, and it only took a minute or two).
I have not seen a workplace in the US, where if one actually asked at least a day ahead of time, that they would be refused to be allowed to leave and vote.

Unpaid, and make up the time later? Probably. But not an outright refusal.
Shows how important elections are. :p

I am pretty amazed that the US elections law allows this to happen.