Twighlight Princess: Game Cube VS. Wii

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Twighlight Princess: Game Cube VS. Wii

Post by adventure_of_link »

Seriously, which is the better one? I'm thinking about getting this game for a buddy of mine for christmas. He has a Wii, but he doesn't have a gamecube. I wanted to get him this game but I didn't have much money for it.

So this means with the Wii version I'd have to buy the game, which is $50. On GC I'd have to buy game+controller+memory card, which might equate to just buying the Wii version.

Thoughts?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

one would think that as you typed this out, the answer presented itself to you
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It depends who you ask, and how anal you are about Link being left-handed(he's right-handed in the Wii version).
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

I own the GC version.

all things being equal, its pretty drat easy. the wii version might be a bit harder with the controls.

the only thing that doens't make sense about the Wii version the the reversed maps. Is it that hard it work with either handedness?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Well, besides the obvious differences with IR pointer aiming... the Cube version has Windwaker style camera control with the C-stick. The Wii version doesn't have any camera control besides an Ocarina style center-behind button. The Cube version allows you to equip three items at the same time, the Wii version only two. The Wii version has widescreen though.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

funkyass wrote:I own the GC version.

all things being equal, its pretty drat easy. the wii version might be a bit harder with the controls.

the only thing that doens't make sense about the Wii version the the reversed maps. Is it that hard it work with either handedness?
i thought gcn came out later, therefore it's the one with the maps reversed
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

The Cube one is the original, for very obvious reasons. =p That's exactly why I prefer it, too. It was made for that controller.
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

sweener2001 wrote:i thought gcn came out later, therefore it's the one with the maps reversed
Link is left-handed. Most players are right-handed, so the Wii version swapped things to keep the on-screen image matching what most players would be doing with the Wii-mote.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

blargg wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:i thought gcn came out later, therefore it's the one with the maps reversed
Link is left-handed. Most players are right-handed, so the Wii version swapped things to keep the on-screen image matching what most players would be doing with the Wii-mote.
is theres option in wii version for a truly left handed people?
something like option for left-handed mouse users in windows?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You know what, I never noticed the reversal until I read about it 3 months after I cleared the game.

Only played the wii version, of course, else I'd have noticed from the maps themselves.

I.E.: not a fucking big deal
Not like the game becomes unplayable due to the various differences. I say go for the less cash spent, it's fun anyway.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

blackmyst wrote:The Cube version allows you to equip three items at the same time, the Wii version only two.
Not true. The Wii version allows you to equip four items, while the GCN version allows two.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Hmm you appear to be right! lol ok, I don't know how I failed so hard there. Must be getting old.

I still like the c-stick camera control though. Makes for some very nice dramatic nighttime horseback rides across fields. ;)
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yes I was going to say the same thing as snkcube as far as the 4 items

the wii version also is in full widescreen with progressive scan at 480p.
Besides the camera feature it seems to be the better choice IMO, it's the one I got and I'm a zelda purist.

it also has an additional marble balance game in the fishing hut, and uses the IR for several aiming situations like the bow etc. Once you get used to it, it works fine. You also use the "shake/rumble" the nunchuk for sword techniques, and swing the wiimote for sword slashes, it works fine without feeling too gimmicky.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

sweener2001 wrote:
funkyass wrote:I own the GC version.

i thought gcn came out later, therefore it's the one with the maps reversed
They came out at the same time. But the GC version was selling out as fast as they could print it, so it LOOKED like it came out later.
There were a lot of anti-Nintendo people screaming about how it was a conspiracy and how they were intentionally short-printing it to make people buy Wiis while still being able to say "Look, we released it on the 'Cube too!".

These were, of course, the same people that'd been yelling about how the only reason they bought a 'Cube was being shuffled to the Wii and they'd never get to play it and their 'Cube was a worthless paperweight and Sony would never do this to the fans.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

And so Sony released a PS2 wrapped in a paperweight and Microsoft shoved out their Easy Bake 360s and everyone got red christmas lights all year.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Panzer88 wrote:the wii version also is in full widescreen with progressive scan at 480p.
Besides the camera feature it seems to be the better choice IMO, it's the one I got and I'm a zelda purist.
Isn't 480p the same thing as when you hook up the Cube (or Wii for that matter) with an RGB cable?

If you're -really- a purist (as in obsessive, like me) you'd go with the platform it was created for from the ground up, instead of the one it was shoehorned into, then put on ice for years awaiting its release. ;D
it also has an additional marble balance game in the fishing hut,
What, in addition to the one that's already there on the Cube version?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:the wii version also is in full widescreen with progressive scan at 480p.
Isn't 480p the same thing as when you hook up the Cube (or Wii for that matter) with an RGB cable?
Maybe. Sorta. Possibly.

On the GC, 480P is ONLY available through the digital video port. And only SOME games support progscan.

On the Wii, it's more clear. If you have RGB/component cables, and tell the system to output progressive, you get progscan.

If you're -really- a purist (as in obsessive, like me) you'd go with the platform it was created for from the ground up, instead of the one it was shoehorned into, then put on ice for years awaiting its release. ;D
Yes. That's exactly it. They finished the game, then sat on their work for years so their next system would have a killer app on day one.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

blackmyst wrote: If you're -really- a purist (as in obsessive, like me) you'd go with the platform it was created for from the ground up, instead of the one it was shoehorned into, then put on ice for years awaiting its release. ;D
or if you're a good friend, you'll get him a game for the system he owns.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Maybe. Sorta. Possibly.

On the GC, 480P is ONLY available through the digital video port. And only SOME games support progscan.

On the Wii, it's more clear. If you have RGB/component cables, and tell the system to output progressive, you get progscan.

Ok ok wait. So what you're saying is that there are two kinds of RGB output? On the Cube, all my games look miles cleaner just using an RGB cable than they do through regular output, same for the Wii and I haven't even changed any settings.
sweener2001 wrote:
blackmyst wrote: If you're -really- a purist (as in obsessive, like me) you'd go with the platform it was created for from the ground up, instead of the one it was shoehorned into, then put on ice for years awaiting its release. ;D
or if you're a good friend, you'll get him a game for the system he owns.
I wasn't talking to AOL anymore, there.
fbb
Hazed

Post by fbb »

get the cube version
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Maybe. Sorta. Possibly.

Ok ok wait. So what you're saying is that there are two kinds of RGB output? On the Cube, all my games look miles cleaner just using an RGB cable than they do through regular output, same for the Wii and I haven't even changed any settings.
Right.

That's just the not-composite benefit.
To get progressive scan, you have to have a DIFFERENT cable. That your 'Cube MIGHT support.

At least, as I understand things. I don't HAVE a PAL unit, but from what I gather, NO Gamecube will do progressive scan on the analog port.
It's called a bad design decision.

Never thought I'd say Nintendo should have taken a page from Sony's book, but... the PS2's component/progressive-scan support was elegantly simple. They just overloaded the RGB pins and made it software-switchable. It beat the hell out of dual video connectors, external DACs, and multiple cables(speaking of which... why the hell didn't they bring the SPDIF signal out of the digital AV port on the component video cables?).
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

So today at the FYE store, I managed to pick up the wii version of twighlight princess USED, for $40. Gamestop had it for $45.

What's odd is that I couldn't find any of the GC twighlight princess brand new, but there were plenty of used copies for the Wii. :?

oh well.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Wii for Win
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]