I'm almost convinced my motherboard is defective

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

I'm almost convinced my motherboard is defective

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Well, here's the issue. Okay, so I just got a new motherboard right? It's a P35DPM and, while it may not be high end, it seems very stable (no overheating/random resets). However, I'm convinced that out of all of the integrated components that are working correctly, the integrated NIC/Ethernet is NOT working as it should and therefore it's defective. I figured it might be the case soon after installing the motherboard; I plugged the cable (which comes from a router) into the ethernet/NIC jack and guess what? The green light that's supposed to light up, didn't light up. Tried to bypass the router and plug it in that way. Nope, nothing. I have tried a lot of troubleshooting for this. First, I went to the device manager to see if the Intel NIC was being detected; there were no yellow "!"s or red "X"s and Windows said "it was functioning normally". Okay, so I tried to uninstall it and reinstall then reboot. Nothing. Tried to install the drivers from the bundled Intel Drivers CD and the Win XP CD as well and did that help? Nope, not one bit. Every time I had used the automatic hardware wizard, it would look like it's installing the drivers then it said to connect to the internet to get the drivers. Very odd that Windows asks for NIC drivers from the internet if it can't even connect to the internet. Thus the Windows paradox. The next step I did was I installed a spare PCI NIC I found lying around the house and figured that it would work without a problem. Plugged the cable in and got the green light like I was supposed with the integrated NIC! The second I got to Networks in Control Panel, it was telling me it was "unplugged" and won't tell me what the name of the device is in Device Manager. Usually, it would prompt the user with a "Found New Hardware" message when it's plugged in. Well, I didn't get that message. So, even after uninstall/reinstall, disable/re-enable, driver CD/XP CD use, none of that did anything to resolve the issue. This is why I think I got totally screwed with a defective motherboard. I'm thinking of sending it back for a refund and getting a different one. Or at least a replacement from Newegg. What's going on here?
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

check the BIOS for NIC options, it seems like the intergrated NIC is just not being powered... also check for Jumpers on the motherboard.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
MajereDB8
Rookie

Post by MajereDB8 »

This is probably an obvious suggestion, but have you tried a different patch cable? If one of the pairs is stretched or damaged, the cable may still be able to trigger the light on your NIC, but won't properly carry data.

Are any of your other components functioning properly, e.g. your video card? If so, it could possibly be a software issue. It seems odd that your PCI bus and internal NIC would be broken, but an integrated or AGP/PCIe graphics card would function properly.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: I'm almost convinced my motherboard is defective

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:wall of text
Hey, have you ever heard of the enter button? It can be used to add linebreaks and blank lines to your posts.

Like this.

It makes them much easier to read, especially when you have a whole lot of stuff typed up.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

real sentences help, as well.

but the suggestions given so far seem like excellent starting places. if it comes to it, newegg RMA's are rather harmless from what i've heard. just annoying that you have to go through the process at all.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Sorry about the bad grammar; it was late and I couldn't think that well. But, I noticed that Newegg has a 30-day return for full refund policy, so, I just went ahead and got a new motherboard, and send the old one back this Friday. Now before you throw your glass bottles at the screen, I'll tell you why I did what I did. First of all, I remember seeing the onboard LAN in the BIOS as being "on" and not "off".
Second of all, it strikes me as strange that even a PCI card being powered on and still not telling me that the new hardware was found in Windows, neither did it tell me that the network was connected or found. Third, I also find it weird that the default drivers on the CD won't find the right ones to install for the NIC. If both the integrated and separate NIC both don't work at all, wouldn't that indicate that it's defective?
Normally, in the past, whenever I installed drivers, I never had this problem; it would install them, reboot and everything would be fine and dandy like sour candy! I'm getting this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131237
and it will work.

Edit 8:40AM - The cable is a known good cable and was working about two days ago, it just wasn't on this motherboard. There was a green light on the separate NIC and not integrated.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

intel network drivers come in an installation package, which is why windows isn't finding them on the cd. you'd need to unpack the installer (using 7zip, rar, etc) for windows to find them. or, y'know, run the installer. the manual for that board does suggest you run the installer. actually, so does the autorun on the cd. go figure.

also, that particular intel integrated nic is completely nonfunctional under windows if the drivers aren't installed (so you wouldn't see a link light).

the other bizarreness makes me think that you didn't do a clean install of Windows when you originally changed motherboards. windows not detecting new hardware is generally a sign of corrupt windows installation.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Okay, maybe I didn't specify clearly; I tried both the Intel Drivers CD and Windows XP CD and neither of them "found" the NIC drivers and told me "could not complete installation, your hardware may not work properly". Ironically, the Device Manager is telling me that the Intel NIC drivers are "already installed" and that Windows "doesn't detect any problems with the hardware" which is obviously a bunch of BS.
No matter what I do, the drivers will NOT install. I even tried uploading drivers on a USB flash drive from one system (one that works) to the one that doesn't work, and it still refused to install. So, why in blazes would both PCI slot NIC and integrated NIC not work one way or the other? How could it not be the motherboard causing this? Oh, and doing a reistallation sounds like something I should've done, which would very well explain it. But if that's the case, then why do the rest of the integrated components (audio, usb interface, SATA, IDE, etc) work fine, where just one (out of the numerous components) decides not to work?
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Siding with MajereDB8 and calling bad cable.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Ad lib time !
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:I'm almost convinced my <critically essential organ> is defective

Endless fun
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:If both the integrated and separate NIC both don't work at all, wouldn't that indicate that it's defective?
No. It would indicate that it's very much NOT the motherboard.

If it was hosed bad enough that the PCI bus wasn't working, you would've experienced a LOT more problems than network trouble.

grinvader wrote:Ad lib time !
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:I'm almost convinced my <critically essential organ> is defective

Endless fun
Brain.
odditude

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:

Endless fun
Brain.
i'm starting to think the board is disproving the brain to be critically essential.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Geez. Forget I ever asked. *sigh* screw it, I'm just gonna stop describing PC issues while I'm ahead
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:

Endless fun
Brain.
Heart.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Okay, maybe I didn't specify clearly; I tried both the Intel Drivers CD and Windows XP CD
The network drivers are most likely a separate installer on the Intel Disc, the motherboard chipset drivers can not include the NIC drivers.

Did you check for any jumper pins on the motherboard at all? use your motherboard manual to quickly find them all and see what they all do.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
odditude

Post by odditude »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Geez. Forget I ever asked. *sigh* screw it, I'm just gonna stop describing PC issues while I'm ahead
Tell you what... you stop questioning and ignoring the advice you ask for from the proven tech-heads on the board, and we'll stop mocking you for it.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

adventure_of_link wrote:Image
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

grinvader wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:Image
If only you can find all your other rotation images we can resurrect your avatar dude
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

err what

drugs are bad mmkay
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

Endless fun
Brain.
Heart.
Sphincter.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

grinvader wrote:err what

drugs are bad mmkay
Just a guess, but maybe he thinks the only thing stopping you from setting up a new avatar rotation is that you don't have local copies of all the files that were on your old host.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

kode54 wrote:
grinvader wrote:err what

drugs are bad mmkay
Just a guess, but maybe he thinks the only thing stopping you from setting up a new avatar rotation is that you don't have local copies of all the files that were on your old host.
and you my friend hit the nail on the head
NSRT here.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

*Whew*... Well, it seemed that, despite the fact that the jumper settings were in the correct position, it refused to load the drivers for the NIC and sound. So, after I got the new Asus motherboard, surprise, surprise, the NIC and sound finally started to work! Was it mere coincidence? I think not; if it was, then someone needs to explain why the sound in the new one worked out of the box (without reinstalling) while the other one didn't. I never intended to make it sound like I was doubting anyone's knowledge. :oops:
I was incredulous (not skeptical and yes, there is a difference) about the whole thing being related to jumpers. Yes, I admit should have reinstalled Windows and yes, I admit I should have checked the jumpers, but what's done is done. If I get mocked for it, then so be it. But seeing as I've already been mocked, I'm not going to hold a grudge or get back at anyone. I have a tendency to get defensive when situations like this arise, but in the end, what good does it do? Nothing. Getting back to the new motherboard, everything works great (performance-wise).
And sure, I intermittently get a BSOD with STOP: 0x0000007E, but I'm 100% sure doing a reinstall of XP will fix that.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

point is, if you're not going to listen to the tech guys here, DON'T BOTHER THEM AT ALL
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Was it mere coincidence? I think not...
No one cares what you think in general, because you're an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.

And in this specific case you used horribly faulty methods to arrive at your almost-certainly-wrong conclusion.

The almost is only in there because we have no way to prove anything. You were the only one with access to the motherboard, and you had not the slightest inkling of what you were doing.

If you change motherboards, you MUST use a fresh Windows install. There's too many differences between motherboards to get away with not doing so.
No debugging can proceed until that's been done.

And without knowing what you were using before all this started, I can only assume the silicon on your prior un-named motherboard is more closely related to the new Asus board than the new Intel board.

You are an idiot.
If you refuse to listen to us, then stop wasting our time with questions you don't want our answers to.