ZSNES' limitations...

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

jj_frap
Rookie

ZSNES' limitations...

Post by jj_frap »

Many here have said that a lot of ZSNES' most frustrating sound and timing "bugs" will never be fixed because the core of the emulator was created at a time when knowledge was so limited that pretty well everything had to be half-assedly MacGyvered in order to get a majority of SNES games fully playable with only minor issues.

So out of curiosity, when will a point be reached at which further improvement of ZSNES is just not possible with the current emulation core?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Who cares?
We're slowly rewriting it.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by snkcube »

Nach wrote:Who cares?
We're slowly rewriting it.
Sounds good to me. :o
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

It's getting better with every release. What else matters? It will probably never be absolutely perfect?
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Hexlord
Hazed

Post by Hexlord »

There's always room for improvement.. :)

But then again.. I am slowly pulling away from the SNES emulation due to time constraints... will see how as time passes..
[i]I will cross the chasm[/i]
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

For the casual user, like me ZSNES is perfect the way it is. I have never really had a problem of any note with the emu. It seems that it is just a matter of getting the most accurate emulation possible, at the moment.
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

Stomping Nitrofish wrote:For the casual user, like me ZSNES is perfect the way it is. I have never really had a problem of any note with the emu. It seems that it is just a matter of getting the most accurate emulation possible, at the moment.
actually, for the casual user, ZSNES is "good enough", just look on the bug tracker to see how many games have noticable bugs/crashes in them.
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

I'm just happy the project is alive. All that time stuck at 1.36 sucked. Console emulation is going to be great in 2005. Zsnes, MagicEngine and now Gens are being actively developed again.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

ZSNES wasn't really stuck at 1.36. You could of been using the WIP versions over the past months.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

I was, but I didn't know about the WIPS for months.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: ZSNES' limitations...

Post by pagefault »

jj_frap wrote:Many here have said that a lot of ZSNES' most frustrating sound and timing "bugs" will never be fixed because the core of the emulator was created at a time when knowledge was so limited that pretty well everything had to be half-assedly MacGyvered in order to get a majority of SNES games fully playable with only minor issues.

So out of curiosity, when will a point be reached at which further improvement of ZSNES is just not possible with the current emulation core?
Currently we are improving each part of the core as we need to to fix each case and implementing new research as it becomes available, I Think this is reasonable.