DSP-2 loadstate bug

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

19day

DSP-2 loadstate bug

Post by 19day »

I did try searching for this bug, and only found one reference to it as an aside, dated quite some time ago: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=244

The problem game is Dungeon Master, here's the NSRT readout:

Code: Select all

NSRT v3.3 RC2 - Nach's SNES ROM Tools

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: Dungeon Master (U).smc
       Name: DUNGEON MASTER         Company: LucasArts
     Header: SWC                       Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: No                        SRAM: 256 Kb
       Type: DSP-2 + Batt               ROM: 8 Mb
  ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM)       Revision: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0x8724              CRC32: 0DFD9CEB
--------------------------Database--------------------------
   Name: Dungeon Master
 Port 1: Gamepad                  Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: First Person RPG        Genre 2: None
With both the 1.42 release, and trying the 0519 WIP, it seems the loadstate (or the save state and not being apparent until the state is loaded) screws something up, apparently with the DSP-2 emulation. To recreate, I just run the WIP version, load Dungeon Master, quickly enter the first screen of the dungeon, and then save and load state a couple of times, and quickly enough the dungeon view will vanish, reminding me of when DSP-2 wasn't emulated, since the display would work except the dungeon view, leading me to suspect that something goes wonky with the DSP emulation with the state saving/loading (and based on no further information, heh)

Hopefully I've covered everything I needed to from the bug-posting requirements. Oh, I would also like zsnes ported to my timex wristwatch :)
Overload
Hazed

Post by Overload »

This is expected, if you did the same on a copier you would get the same result. Use the game to save, forget about savestates.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Interesting. Why does that happen with state saves?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Overload
Hazed

Post by Overload »

The dsp-2 is a coprocessor. You would need to save specific data if you wanted to restore it to the position it was when the state was captured.

Personally i don't see a point in saving this data because the game can be saved at anytime anyway and only one game uses the dsp-2.

It would be different if the upd77c25 chip was being emulated but i doubt that will ever happen.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Well, since we already store extra chip status in our states, we *could* add DSP2/4 stuff... except I don't know what to save, heh.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

grinvader wrote:Well, since we already store extra chip status in our states, we *could* add DSP2/4 stuff... except I don't know what to save, heh.
Let me handle that.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by hydr0x »

Nach wrote:
grinvader wrote:Well, since we already store extra chip status in our states, we *could* add DSP2/4 stuff... except I don't know what to save, heh.
Let me handle that.
:lol: the chief has spoken :wink:
CyberBotX
Lurker

Re: DSP-2 loadstate bug

Post by CyberBotX »

19day wrote:Oh, I would also like zsnes ported to my timex wristwatch :)
Somehow, I don't think Timex wristwatches have enough buttons to emulate the SNES. :P
[url=http://www.cyberbotx.com/]SNES Sprite Animations[/url], made by an Insane Killer Robot.
I'm a computer programmer (in C++) and a future game designer.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Overload wrote:The dsp-2 is a coprocessor. You would need to save specific data if you wanted to restore it to the position it was when the state was captured.
Oh, that's all? I figured it was some integral design of the DSP-2 that prevented it.
It would be different if the upd77c25 chip was being emulated but i doubt that will ever happen.
Was that DSP used in SNES games?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

It doesn't matter (much) how many commercial games use this feature. What about PD ROM authors?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list