Are DOS saves playable in a WIN version?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

sax_russell_the_green

Are DOS saves playable in a WIN version?

Post by sax_russell_the_green »

Hello all,

I've been using ZSNES for a few months now, previously on a Windows 98. I was using the DOS version of ZSNES because I thought that the WIN version was only compatable with Windows 2000 and up. In the past couple of days, I have bought and installed Windows XP and have subsequently downloaded the WIN version of ZSNES. I still have all the ROMs and save files for my games of the DOS version, but when I try to play them on the WIN version, it starts the game up with no indication it recognizes the save files.

Example: I load up Final Fantasy IV (Japanese Hardtype translated to English thanks to J2E), and instead of taking me to the screen where I select which save file I want to play on, it starts auto-playing the intro scenes of the game, as if there were no save files already there.

I'm assuming this is because the save files were made in the DOS version of ZSNES. If this is true, is there any chance of converting them somehow so that the WIN version will play them? Or do I have to keep using the DOS version to play my games? (I really wouldn't want to start over on any of my RPG's)

Thanks in advance for anyone that can answer my question. And a special note of gratitude for the wonderful team that created this emulator. Great job guys!
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

You just have to rename the save states and the .srm files for each rom, for example:

Final Fantasy II.smc

In Dos, savestates and .srms would be named:

Final~1.zst and Final~1.srm

In windows, you need this files to have the complete name.

Final Fantasy II.zst and Final Fantasy II.srm

It is importat that you erase the .srm files that are already made in your save folder when you tried loading FFII the first time in windows.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
sax_russell_the_green

Hmm, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be working.

There's basically only two games with a file apiece that I'm trying to fix here.

ff5e.smc
ff5e.srm

and
Final Fantasy 4 (J).smc
Final Fantasy 4 (J).srm (which was previously FINALF~1.srm)

I renamed the FF4 .srm file to include the full name of the file, but it's still not being picked up by WIN ZSNES, nor is the FF5 .srm file, which is already the same. Does capitalization factor in to all of this?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Try going into CONFIG -> PATHS and entering the full path to the location of your SRM files. e.g., if they are in C:\ZSNES\SAVES\whatever.srm, enter C:\ZSNES\SAVES
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
sax_russell_the_green

You guys are the bomb yo!

Now all I have to do is get the sound working, but that's a matter for a different forum, no?
sax_russell_the_green

Ah! Scratch that! Sound Problem fixed! You guys must give off good karma or something. :D
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

we try :)
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]