I can't play .zmv movies, help!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

nukesgoboom

I can't play .zmv movies, help!

Post by nukesgoboom »

ok to start off, i am using 1.42.

i recently got a bunch of .zmv files (and a .frm files was included with them) from http://www.zophar.net.

now as i understand, i need to put these .zmv files and .frm files in my saved games folder, which i did. i also understand that you need to rename your rom dump file of the game the movie was recorded with.

for example, if i wanted to watch a movie recorded on castlevania 4, the .zmv, .frm, and .smc all have to have the same name.

so ive got a SuperCastlevaniaIV.zmv and SuperCastlevaniaIV.frm in my saved games folder. i also have a SuperCastlevaniaIV.smc in my rom folder, AS WELL as in the saved games folder, just in case it has to be there (i have no idea).

now i start, then i go to my saved games folder, and i load the .zmv. then i go to MISC, then MOVIE OPN. then i hit play.

i get a split second image with sound of the movie, then the screen goes crazy with blocks and random colors, i can STILL hear the audio correctly, however.

my question is, what am i doing wrong, how do i play these .zmv movies correctly, please help me.

thanks for your time.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

You aren't supposed to load the .zmv file first. Load the game first, then go to the Misc>Movie Option, and play it.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
nukesgoboom

Post by nukesgoboom »

thanks for your reply, i got the movie working finally.

i put the .zmv and the .frm into my saved games folder, and then i put the .smc in my rom folder, loaded the .smc and then went to MISC, MOVIE OPN and hit play.

i am watching a .zmv of someone beating the final boss in castlevania 4. for the first 2 minutes, the playing is flawless, jumping and attacking like normal, and then climbing the stairway leading up.

then for some reason, the player starts acting odd. he will move back and forth non sensically, and leap to his death. the reason i am describing this is because i think the recorded move set is not in sync with the emulator, or something. im sure i did something wrong. it is not just this .zmv, i watch other movies of other games and about 2 minutes in, everything starts acting crazy. the video/audio is fine, but the behavior of the player is very odd, i think the recorded sequence of buttons pressed is not being ..uh.. reproduced properly. is there a setting or something that i need to change?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

For better results, try using the emulator's version in which the movie was recorded. old movies on new versions tend to desych.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
washuu108
Rookie

Post by washuu108 »

And by the way, the .frm files are only used by Zophar for organizing, you don't need them at all.
nukesgoboom

Post by nukesgoboom »

thanks for the informative replies everyone.

one last question, is there anyway to tell what version a .zmv was recorded with?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Nach can say for sure, but I don't think so.

Try opening the frm file in Notepad. It might say.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Between v0.600 and the upcoming v1.43 no one ever bothered to update the number in the ZMV file. Unless the included text file tells you, no way to tell.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by creaothceann »

You'll have to try all the older versions until you find the correct one.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list