Lethal Enforcer Gun

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

marvelus10
Rookie

Lethal Enforcer Gun

Post by marvelus10 »

I managed to find a Lethal Enforcer Gun today at a second hand store for 2 bucks.
So I hooked it up, unfortunatly it doesnt seem to work with ZSNES.

My set up is 2 SNES controller ports wired to a paralell printer port using these instructions.

http://s89078276.onlinehome.us/emubox/s ... apter.html

Im also using PsxPad for the drivers I have it set up with 2 contollers so that each port works on its own, I can play 2 player games with controllers in ports 1 and 2 with no found flaws.

So am I doing something wrong, is the real Konami Gun not compatible with ZSNES, I checked the Lethal Enforcer Gun in Add-Ons and it didnt work either. Or is the wiring for the controller ports not enough for Gun use (Im asuming the gun uses the same 5 wires that the controllers do)

Yes I have checked the forum in search and I found nothing with the details I was looking for.

thanx eh
Please help me get a free iPod. Use this referal and follow the intructions. thanx eh
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20160460
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

I am pretty damn sure it won't work like that.

Rather than directly transfer the information between the controller and the emulated game, the Psxpad drivers communicate with the controllers, figuring out which buttons are pushed when. Then, this information is communicated to Zsnes via DirectX. To Zsnes, there is no difference between the real SNES controller you have and a generic gamepad. Thus, the lethal enforcer gun won't work, as neither Psxpad nor Zsnes is designed to handle that controller.

I hope I was clear enough.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
marvelus10
Rookie

Post by marvelus10 »

Thank you.
Please help me get a free iPod. Use this referal and follow the intructions. thanx eh
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20160460
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Did you press the "7"key to use the LEGun?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

True X Unknown wrote:Did you press the "7"key to use the LEGun?
He was trying to use the real Lethal Enforcer gun, but I guess it won't hurt to help. :P
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Gospel
Hazed

Post by Gospel »

Isn't something about the refresh on monitors or................

Hell, I pulled that out of my ass, let me stop.
anomie
Lurker

Post by anomie »

I'd be surprised if it would work, simply because of the way the thing works. The gun watches the TV screen looking for the electron beam, and signals the SNES when it sees it. From the timing of the "I see it!" signal, the SNES can know where the gun is pointing. Connecting the gun to a computer, your input driver would have to do pretty much the same thing with the monitor's electron gun IF your monitor even has an electron gun.

Also, the gun uses 6 wires: the normal Power (pin 1), Ground (7), Clock (2), Latch (3), and Data1 (4), plus the 'IOBit' on pin 6. Data2 (pin 5) is not used.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

If the Lethal Enforcer gun worked, it was for the DOS version. (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, this is the (probably only good) case where an emulation hack would make things a ton easier. Basically you know the end result, which is to latch the horizontal and vertical coordinates for where the light detector in the gun turns on after being pre-triggered by the gun's trigger.

As long as you know where the H/V values are latched, it's a simple matter of directly plugging in the value regardless of where the emulation's dot beam actually is.

Because on the PC you know when V-sync occurs for the video card, and hopefully you can read the refresh rate setting or else guess it from the time interval between two adjacent V-syncs, it's a matter of timing from the V-sync.

But there's one more thing that luckily the game itself already kind of takes care of-- calibration. Every game has you shoot at the center of the target to determine where dead-center is. Your timing could always be a reasonable constant offset off and the game still would work as good as the original.

However, since now the overscan for computer monitors varies per mode, there would actually have to be an option in the emulator's menu to bring up a multi-target that had you shoot near the four corners of the screen as well as the center, not unlike how a touch-screen is calibrated on a handheld PC.

...Blah, all I'm saying is that it is doable.