Nestopia 1.39

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Is there a game or games that demonstrate the effect of this greater precision?
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
p00f
Rookie

Post by p00f »

Nach wrote:
blackmyst wrote:If it's such a negligible detail, why even do it in the first place? Unlike most of Zsnes' features, this actually changes the SNES' video output, and it's not optional, I agree that it does go against Zsnes' principles somewhat.

Not that I care much, just wondering why.
The C4 has 24 bit precision on it's numbers. Our PCs offer 32 bits of precision. Just doing it natively is simple and gives a straighter line because of the greater precision.

I could try to after doing the math make it lose the extra 8 bits of precision, but I didn't really find it worth the effort.

However the math itself used is the same, it's just the output on the screen is more correct (to the math, not to the C4's implementation).
So wouldn't that in theory be just like calculating pi to a deeper decimal ammount? Thus giving your equations more accuracy, but not making them wrong.

If that is the case, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I don't think it goes against zsnes. It would be a waste of time to figure out an algorithm to calculate in 24bit.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

quanium wrote: So wouldn't that in theory be just like calculating pi to a deeper decimal ammount? Thus giving your equations more accuracy, but not making them wrong.

If that is the case, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I don't think it goes against zsnes. It would be a waste of time to figure out an algorithm to calculate in 24bit.
If you want 100% true emulation/accuracy, then yes, it would go against ZSNES's charter to not calculate it in 24 bits. Strictly speaking, this is a rounding error in the C4 code.

In practice, though, this is one of those things that's way down the list as far as what needs to be done to make ZSNES more accurate.
FireKnight:I'm pretty sure a 1KG 24k gold brick costs less than that.

phonymike: well the same amount of raw metals used in a car costs a fraction of the price of a new car idiot. I'm gonna take away your posting privileges and replace them with my balls on your chin.

I smell spray paint.
p00f
Rookie

Post by p00f »

ThunderClaw wrote:
quanium wrote: So wouldn't that in theory be just like calculating pi to a deeper decimal ammount? Thus giving your equations more accuracy, but not making them wrong.

If you want 100% true emulation/accuracy, then yes, it would go against ZSNES's charter to not calculate it in 24 bits. Strictly speaking, this is a rounding error in the C4 code.

In practice, though, this is one of those things that's way down the list as far as what needs to be done to make ZSNES more accurate.
I suppose it's something that can be figured out eventually. Either way it shouldn't be high on the priority list.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Awesome. Now, if only there was a *nix port...
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

Preferably with a GUI or a good configuration file.
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Jipcy wrote:Is there a game or games that demonstrate the effect of this greater precision?
MMX2/RMX2

Overdrive Ostrich's stage. The bridge. Lower it completely. Compare with real hardware.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

grinvader wrote:
Jipcy wrote:Is there a game or games that demonstrate the effect of this greater precision?
MMX2/RMX2

Overdrive Ostrich's stage. The bridge. Lower it completely. Compare with real hardware.
I found the original thread in the old snes9x board here, but the pics are broken.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

And I've seem to have deleted the images too.
Shame zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator).org went down.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by badinsults »

If you are looking for the old website, just ask Kaizersoze on #zsnes efnet.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

GOATSnEs wrote:If you are looking for the old website, just ask Kaizersoze on #zsnes efnet.
Nah it's quite alright. If I really wanted the images, I could just take them myself again, and reverse the various steps in the emulation to get the old output.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by vigi_lante »

So, not possible to use DirectDraw anymore ? :(
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Which is kind of funny, because that newer Direct3D really only affords triple buffering in a window, and the real fullscreen mode doesn't really work with menubars.

I'm still using DirectDraw in my own code, and an evil timer/GetScanline workaround so I can do full vsync even when shitty drivers are present. ( F U ATI for 100% CPU when doing vsync'd DirectDraw or OpenGL, but not for Direct3D. )

Besides, when I do it the timer way, I can design it so the leading edge of my blank/copy interval is the first scanline after the bottom of my display frame, rather than the actual vblank, so I can get a bit more time to do the actual copy. Basically, a 1ms MM timer watching the DirectDraw interface's scanline, and also keeping a note of the display mode height and/or highest reported scanline number. Then it uses offset/modulo so that 0 is the first scanline after my display buffer.

I'm sure there's a more optimal way to calculate when the current scanline has begun a new cycle starting at some arbitrary line in the screen, but for now, that stuff, and pulsing the wait event whenever the current offset/wrapped scanline is less than the last. ( which would indicate a new sync period. )

Note this does not apply to my build of VBA, although I should consider applying that to its DirectDraw code. The only reason I even bothered with the Direct3D code and added vsync support was so I could get vsync in a window without eating up my CPU.

With my DirectDraw code, I can get a 60fps emulator loop, which happens to be throttled by its sound output, to display synced frames on a 85Hz desktop, with only the effect of minor jitter from blitting too soon/late for exact 60fps interval. The objective is to eliminate tearing, I suppose if I made it configurable, it would be up to the user to decide whether they prefer tearing to uneven frame rate.

Hmm, and I wonder if it's possible to design a Direct3D renderer that has a flip interval equal to the refresh rate, using a clever mix of one or more frame textures and some evil blending/accumulation/wtf to perform frame rate conversion through at least simple frame blending...
vigi_lante
Rookie

Post by vigi_lante »

When you say that you are using DirectDraw in your own code, you are talking about your own version of Nestopia ?
Hexlord
Hazed

Post by Hexlord »

Btw, 1.21 has been released.

----------------------------------------------------------------

- Adjusted PPU cold reset timing, fixes Time Lord.
- Removed $4017.7 check for DMC IRQ, fixes Silent Service and Time Lord.
- Added an option for preserving the window size and position after exit.
- Added A12 hook for $2007(R/W).
- Added a newer version of ZLib.
- Fixed a window focus bug.
- Fixed a window size on startup bug.
- Fixed two minor APU save/load state bugs.
- Fixed a minor PPU sprite overflow bug.
- Corrected a VS palette entry, VS.Goonies looks better now.
- Options in the machine section in the menu are now saved on exit.
- Improved compatibility with DirectInput devices.
[i]I will cross the chasm[/i]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Yeah! You beat me to it! I am using it rigth now.
Last edited by Neo Kaiser on Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

A couple of those fixes are for bugs that I reported. Yay! :D
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Yay, new version.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Now this is the best NES emulator if you are using Pentium 3 800MHz or better.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

It just gets better. ;)

Windows Port:

- Added support for RAR and 7-Zip files.
- Enabled use of XP visual styles.
- Cleaned up the GUI a bit and fixed proper tab ordering.
- Added cheat search support.
- Added some joystick options. People having joystick problems in earlier versions can now disable the buggy axes.
- Improved auto frame skipping performance.
- Fixed an FDS BIOS path saving bug.
- Fixed an auto IPS patching bug.
- Fixed a Wave file recording bug.
- Fixed an Alt+Tab from fullscreen bug.
- Fixed a cheats delete/clear bug.

Emulation Core:

- Added real-time rewinding support (up to 1 minute). To use it, assign it to any key and enable it in the Timing dialog.
- Added support for cheats in the whole address range.
- Added support for "Pro Action Rocky" cheat codes.
- Added DPCM channel sample interpolation and DC offset removal.
- Improved PPU vblank timing and flag behaviour, info from Blargg.
- Fixed mapper 6 and moved "Mi Hu Chen (hFFE)" to it, info from CaH4e3.
- Moved "Shin Samurai Spirits 2", "Power Rangers III" and "Power Rangers IV" to mapper 209.
- Moved "Mortal Kombat 3 - Special 56 People" to mapper 90.
- Hacked mapper 90, more games are playable now,
- Added mapper 148 and moved "Sugoro Quest - Dice no Senshitachi (asia)" to it.
- Added mapper 183, info from CaH4e3.
- Added mapper 186, info from CaH4e3.
- Fixed mapper 187, "King Of Fighters 96" is now playable.
- Added mapper 216, info from CaH4e3.
- Added DreamTech UNIF board, info from CaH4e3.
- Added H2288 UNIF board, info from Kevtris and CaH4e3.
- Added proper handling of FDS disk insert/eject during movie playing/recording.
http://sf.net/projects/nestopia
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Someone get this man some JMA code, stat!
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Noxious Ninja wrote:
Seconded.
crocomire
Hazed

Post by crocomire »

Is impossible to play games that use Zapper Gun! The shots rarely knock down the targets...

Only I have this problem? :?

Other bug: The "recent files" and "recent directories" lists are cleared after close the emulator...
THE LAST METROID IS IN CAPTIVITY.
THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Neo Kaiser wrote:
Noxious Ninja wrote:
Seconded.
Hey, I already added JMA support to 4 different emulators, don't I deserve a break?

Post by xamenus »

crocomire wrote:Is impossible to play games that use Zapper Gun! The shots rarely knock down the targets...

Only I have this problem? :?

Other bug: The "recent files" and "recent directories" lists are cleared after close the emulator...
I don't have those problems. Try deleting the nestopia.cfg file if you installed this version over an older version.