zmovie errors

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

hippieboy42

zmovie errors

Post by hippieboy42 »

I was making a movie for Zelda 3. Doing quite awesome, actually, a no-damage run. Lotsa fun, and seriously difficult...
By a little trial and error, I discovered that movies are based purely on keystrokes and keystrokes only. For a complex game like Zelda 3, with the AIs and random variables and such, the playback looks NOTHING like the original. I thought it would be relatively simple to isolate the variables in the game, and save the changes in those instead. If there is no immediate fix for my problem, I would love to see this as an improvement to the next version.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Start the game from reset & with an empty SRAM. The game's randomness generator will then produce the same values for recording and playback.

http://tasvideos.org/LuckManipulation.html
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
hippieboy42

Post by hippieboy42 »

So, essentially reset the game and play it? Or just close Zsnes first?
Thanks, I'll try that. I was looking for Snes9x and seeing if theirs would work better. It's sacrelige, I know.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Nah, it's not.

You need to select "record from: power + sram clear".
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
hippieboy42

Post by hippieboy42 »

Yeah, I realized what you meant right after I sent that reply. Probably need to reload the rom to play anyway, and I will even if I don't. Thanks a lot.
Oh, and it works beautifully with Snes9x. So it is good for something...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

The "power" in the caption means that the ROM and the virtual SNES is completely resetted, so there's no need to reload.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Macai

Post by Macai »

I tried something similar, except I used the game Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate. However, even when following your instructions, things often did have unpredictable results anyway.

Is this an error in the ROM itself, or zSNES? Are there additional settings you might suggest I tamper with in order to accomplish a truly perfect re-rendering of what I recorded?

Thank you for your time.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

ZSNES at the moment doesn't have 100% deterministic emulation, so a movie (or netplay for that matter), depending on how the game interacts with the SNES can desync here and there even on the same version and everything.

We're working on fixing this though.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Macai »

Nach wrote:ZSNES at the moment doesn't have 100% deterministic emulation, so a movie (or netplay for that matter), depending on how the game interacts with the SNES can desync here and there even on the same version and everything.

We're working on fixing this though.
Sounds like it could be a pain. I made a stab of a guess about this in another thread (that guess being it had something to do with different threads in zSNES itself desyncing with each other), but I was wrong.