Best Donkey Kong Country?

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

yoshisaur
Rookie

Best Donkey Kong Country?

Post by yoshisaur »

My favorite donkey kong country is Diddy's Kong Quest.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

that's because it's the best one ;)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Why do you ask in the wrong forum... seriously?

Moving this thread because misfiring is a sin.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

when i played the original it was pretty sweet.

Never had the staying power of a Mario game to me though
bringing Zsnes back
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The second has pretty much the best balance, and it shows.

No moves that are only used for a couple secrets in the whole game, no fetch quests, and bramble blast.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

#1 because the colors where right. These games really pushed the SNES hardware to it's limits.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

I was about to say the same, but you can read it as "it tries to make the best that is possible within the limits of the SNES technology".
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

grinvader wrote:The second has pretty much the best balance, and it shows.

No moves that are only used for a couple secrets in the whole game, no fetch quests, and bramble blast.
and its considerably longer then the first one which is a huge +
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yup, the first one was great, excellent team, so good they made a sequal to outdo themselves and it was excellent too. Then they left and the B team while making a decent game, just copied all the ideas that the first team had and didn't have the same style and design.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

first one was really good

2nd one was alright

3rd one just went further from the other 2 , the treasure hunting aspect was alright , but yet another game without DK himself...
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

ReRuss wrote:first one was really good

2nd one was alright

3rd one just went further from the other 2 , the treasure hunting aspect was alright , but yet another game without DK himself...
I'm surprised no one's made a hack with DK in the other ones. Personally Diddy was my fav character in the first one, and then when they introduced Dixie I loved her even more for the helicopter ponytail, Diddie and Dixie the ultimate team.

I did think it was lame when they did yet ANOTHER the main heroes are captured in DKC3 though, it was like "ok you've done it once, now it's just lame"
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Also things start going downhill when they introduce baby characters.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Donkey Kong Land.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Panzer88 wrote:I'm surprised no one's made a hack with DK in the other ones.
Adding his sound samples could be tricky.

Johan_Hanberg wrote:Donkey Kong Land.
:shock:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

creaothceann wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:I'm surprised no one's made a hack with DK in the other ones.
Adding his sound samples could be tricky.
having him sound like diddie or dixie might actually be humourous :)

also it'd be cool if you could use the updated renders, or port the better renders back to DKC 1 (you could also trade other characters, animals, and moves back & forth from the games, you'd need to know your stuff though)
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

creaothceann wrote:
Johan_Hanberg wrote:Donkey Kong Land.
:shock:
It's what I played back in the days of wanting a SNES and having a GB, the gameplay is close to as good as DKC.:D
And the soundtrack is about the best for any game ever in my opinion. They're like awesome fantastic spectacular chiptune remixes of the original tunes, which were also great. I highly recommend all fellow lovers of chipmusic to give it a listen!
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I'm with ReRuss. Donkey Kong puts the Donkey in Donkey Kong Country.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Jipcy wrote:Also things start going downhill when they introduce baby characters.
so what, by that logic, the mario games went downhill when they released super mario world 2: yoshi's island?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Johan_Hanberg wrote:[...] the soundtrack is about the best for any game ever in my opinion. They're like awesome fantastic spectacular chiptune remixes of the original tunes, which were also great.
Mmmh... will have to try that.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

adventure_of_link wrote:so what, by that logic, the mario games went downhill when they released super mario world 2: yoshi's island?
Yoshi's Island (original or DS) wasn't a bad game, but baby Mario is certainly annoying ("let's make it so that they hear a crying baby for up to 10 seconds every time Yoshi gets hit!").
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

In other games you'd be dead.

Just don't get hit. :wink:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

baby mario didn't bother me that bad, then again, you didn't play as him (except when invincible, but that was badass, still, I'm not a fan of baby mario in say, mario kart)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Jipcy wrote:("let's make it so that they hear a crying baby for up to 10 seconds every time Yoshi gets hit!").

The counter starts at ten seconds by default and regenerates if it's less than ten when you catch baby mario (eg: you have five seconds on the timer when you catch mario, it'll regenerate up to ten seconds)

You can pick up stars to increase the timer up to thirty seconds (however to go from ten to thirty you need the stars, the timer regnerates itself up to ten seconds, so be careful, as you are scored partly by how much time you have on the timer when you clear the level, you are also scored on how many red coins you collect and the flower heads)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

moreover mario stops as soon as you catch him, so as long as you get him right away you only hear a cry or two, it's not annoying though so much as it is punishment for you screwing up :)
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

They made a "New SMB" , why cant they make a "New DKC" , and if the game size wasn't too big they could make it buyable on Wii (Holy shit worthy "WiiWare"!!) , or even have it on DS , either way if it's got DK , and Diddy , without bongo function , or nothin but swinging , it might be alright.
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss