How to save swf flash games?

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Snark
Trooper

How to save swf flash games?

Post by Snark »

Or maybe I should ask how to play saved .swf files...

I mainly use Firefox ( however I don't care if I need to use another browser) and I allready know how to save flash; Tools:Page info:Media:embedded swf file...

Now the problem is some flash games seem to be splitted in multiple swf files (or hidden behind referers or I don't know what exactly) and opening them with Firefox or IE just bring up a non functioning game...like a Dolly clone born with no head or something... well you get the point.

Anyway, are there programs or plugins to properly save AND play flash files out there?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

I'm using the UnPlug extension, and occasionally it shows me several links. Dunno if that would help...
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
juef
Rookie

Post by juef »

Usually, when the 'Fast Video Download' add-on for Firefox doesn't work, I load up Internet Explorer and open the page the SWF is on. After the file has been completely loaded (and played maybe, I'm not sure), you'll be able to find it in

C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

I'm not sure that's exactly what you meant, but I've gotten a lot of Flash games with this (such as Portal 2D from Newsground).
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

juef wrote:Usually, when the 'Fast Video Download' add-on for Firefox doesn't work, I load up Internet Explorer and open the page the SWF is on. After the file has been completely loaded (and played maybe, I'm not sure), you'll be able to find it in

C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

I'm not sure that's exactly what you meant, but I've gotten a lot of Flash games with this (such as Portal 2D from Newsground).
Already tried those solutions...

OK, I'm trying to save the 'Grow' flash games on eyemaze com. If anyone can successfully save them, I'd like to hear how you did it. (successfully save AND play of course. Just saving the swf is easy but doesn't allow you to play) Also , tried the "save page as"... no better results.
Last edited by Snark on Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

creaothceann wrote:I'm using the UnPlug extension, and occasionally it shows me several links. Dunno if that would help...
yours and juef's solution is only how to get the swf files. you dont provide the solution to playing them.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

franpa wrote:
creaothceann wrote:I'm using the UnPlug extension, and occasionally it shows me several links. Dunno if that would help...
yours and juef's solution is only how to get the swf files. you dont provide the solution to playing them.
Yes, basically. The problem seem to be the Grow swf files need others, external elements to play properly. (Also, I checked and it doesn't download contents as you progress in the game, so everything is downloaded initially before you begin.)

The method given DOES work for the majority of flash games. Just not in this particular one.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Whoops...actually, I was wrong. I've used a swf decompiler (Sothink SWF Decompiler) and all the elements ARE in the swf file...so everything needed is allready present.

So it seems the only problem is that none of the programs I've used can play the thing correctly hmm...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

franpa, what's wrong with associating .swf files with firefox or whatever?

also I personally thumb through the source code of the page, if possible, to get my flash files.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

adventure_of_link wrote:franpa, what's wrong with associating .swf files with firefox or whatever?

also I personally thumb through the source code of the page, if possible, to get my flash files.
doesnt matter what you associate them too, the copy protection in them stops you from playing them from anything but the original site unless you know how to edit the swf file directly.

demon wrath (i think its called) is where your a cloud shooting lightning bolts down on demonic hellish stick figures and as the game progresses angels appear that your not meant to hit without incurring a heavy blow to your current completion status. when the game is loading there is a mini game where the screen moves pseudo randomly with walls and you gotta keep the mouse courser from touching them else you lose, the longer you last the higher your score.

the game freezes at that screen and NEVER loads the other part of the game thus making it impossible to do anything but that minigame.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
juef
Rookie

Post by juef »

franpa wrote:yours and juef's solution is only how to get the swf files. you dont provide the solution to playing them.
Oops, I forgot that part. I usually use Media Player Classic, but after reading the rest of the topic, I don't know if that would work.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

franpa wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:franpa, what's wrong with associating .swf files with firefox or whatever?

doesnt matter what you associate them too, the copy protection in them stops you from playing them from anything but the original site unless you know how to edit the swf file directly.

demon wrath (i think its called) is where your a cloud shooting lightning bolts down on demonic hellish stick figures and as the game progresses angels appear that your not meant to hit without incurring a heavy blow to your current completion status. when the game is loading there is a mini game where the screen moves pseudo randomly with walls and you gotta keep the mouse courser from touching them else you lose, the longer you last the higher your score.

the game freezes at that screen and NEVER loads the other part of the game thus making it impossible to do anything but that minigame.
It never actually occurred to me that this might be some sort of flash games "protection", so that one does need to play the game on the author'site.

Any way I find a way to avoid the problem, although it's no doubt too convoluted for most people: Virtual machines (such as the freeware Microsoft Virtual PC 2007) Just make a save state of your machine when your playing the flash games, that way you can back the games and play them offline. Of course it takes a lot of memory to backup a virtual harddrive just to play a few small flash games...I'm just saying it's the only way I found without actually modifying the swf files.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

It might not be copy protection. I kind of had a crazy idea though. I imagine you could just use a packet sniffer to find where the external files are being loaded for the shockwave file. Then at least in windows I know you can redirect traffic using the host file. Could that be used to fake out the swf file to load the files from your hard disk instead? Coarse it would temporarily screw up access to that website.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

powerspike wrote:It might not be copy protection. I kind of had a crazy idea though. I imagine you could just use a packet sniffer to find where the external files are being loaded for the shockwave file. Then at least in windows I know you can redirect traffic using the host file. Could that be used to fake out the swf file to load the files from your hard disk instead? Coarse it would temporarily screw up access to that website.
Hah, I actually used a packet sniffer* ("URL snooper").

Yes, some flash games use a lot of redirect/referal crap and sometimes: download contents as you progress, so in those case you might need the packet sniffer.

But with the Grow games on eyemaze I was trying to save, I checked. The swf file is located on the site, and there's no redirect, no multiple files and no extra downloaded contents or anything like that. Just the one single file.

*(Packet sniffers are invaluable tools if you want to save certain streaming video content...plus they help you understand what's actually going on when you browse the internet, they are a great tool imo...)
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

I figured it out. It does load each of those objects in the grw.swf flash file as an external .swf file. I haven't gotten it running yet, but I'm working on it.

Edit: It works on my hard disk. I'll tell you how to get them.

1. Get the url of the shockwave file with url snooper.

EX: http://www.eyezmaze.com/eyezblog_en/blo ... 02/grw.swf for grow version 3.

2. Run the grw.swf file on a local ftp server and make sure it's the root folder. (I used filezilla for the server)

3. It will give you an error message saying a swf file is missing.

4. Take the original url and replace grw.swf with the file name.

5. Save them all in the same folder then run it from your hard disk

Edit2: I found another shockwave file that used a similar method. It's some Gigantic Haruhi Suzumiya face that follows your mouse pointer. Except I had to run it off of my ftp server to use it. I guess it couldn't access the /original folder that held the face data if I just ran it off of my hard disk. But this is pretty much a full proof way of running crap like this locally.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Awesomeness! Thanks! No wonder I couldn't figure it out as I don't know all this stuff.

Ok, I'm ashamed to ask after all the help you've provided but about 2. How exactly do you run a file on filezilla server?

edit: Ok, figured out how to connect (I think)
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

You're quite welcome. Here's some poorly written instructions to get you going. I might of left out a step or two so sorry if I did.

1. Go to the filezilla tab in the start menu
2. Click Start filezilla server
3. Click Start filezilla server interfeace
4. Press ok when it asks you to connect to the server
5. Go to edit>users in the server interface menu
6. Click the Add button in the area labled Users
7. Make a name and press ok
8. Tick the password checkbox in the area label Account settings
9. Make a password
10. On the left should be an area labeled Page. Go to shared folders.
11. Click Add under the area labled shared folders to specific your home folder.
12. Press Ok
13. Connect to your server: I had mine setup as ftp://test:foo@127.0.0.1/grw.swf with Test being the user and foo being the password.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

powerspike wrote:You're quite welcome. Here's some poorly written instructions to get you going. I might of left out a step or two so sorry if I did.

1. Go to the filezilla tab in the start menu
2. Click Start filezilla server
3. Click Start filezilla server interfeace
4. Press ok when it asks you to connect to the server
5. Go to edit>users in the server interface menu
6. Click the Add button in the area labled Users
7. Make a name and press ok
8. Tick the password checkbox in the area label Account settings
9. Make a password
10. On the left should be an area labeled Page. Go to shared folders.
11. Click Add under the area labled shared folders to specific your home folder.
12. Press Ok
13. Connect to your server: I had mine setup as ftp://test:foo@127.0.0.1/grw.swf with Test being the user and foo being the password.
Thanks! Will try again.

Also, if you or anyone can confirm that you're able to save and run locally the grow cube game, then your method really does work.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Got it! Thanks powerspike. Though the method doesn't seem to work for grow-cube :? hmm....

I don't understand why all those other swf files don't show up in a url snooper...Weird. Guess it's related to what you said about redirecting traffic using the host file or something

edit: wtf am I saying, they DO show up with the packet sniffer after all...must have missed them. anyway, cube is still a mystery.

edit:2 sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't...go figure. I'll try some other packet sniffer program.

and Sorry, this thread was the host of some major "doucheries" on my part, which I'm solely responsible for.
Last edited by Snark on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Ah I was using url snooper too since i figured it would be easier to help you if I was using the same application. Guess it's just a buggy application. One thing I just noticed is url snooper plays nicer if you happen to run it with out having any other internet applications open. Use the open in browser button then wait for the flash application to fully load. It seems to have a higher change of capturing everything if you do it that way.
Snark wrote:Guess it's related to what you said about redirecting traffic using the host file or something
Don't bother with using the host file. It was actually just a retarded idea I had for redirecting traffic to a location on the hard disk. I hadn't actually looked at what was going on with the flash file at the time either. Besides after checking on how the hosts file actually works I found it wasn't even possible to do what I was thinking of.
Snark wrote:Also, if you or anyone can confirm that you're able to save and run locally the grow cube game, then your method really does work.
Grow cube does something different. I think it might use some kind of identifier or cookie or something every time you load the flash file up. It's some java script called zen.js. For most of this stuff all you need to do is figure out how they're loading the files up. But since I don't know any sort of web coding I have no way of figuring this kind of stuff out.

You'll notice when it opens grow-cub.swf it will access x7.hebiichigo.com and generate a url with a bunch of numbers/letters then use the file zen.js. Either that or zen.js is the thing generating the url.. not sure. If you could find a way to run it offline I'm sure it would work
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

powerspike wrote: Don't bother with using the host file. It was actually just a retarded idea I had for redirecting traffic to a location on the hard disk.
Well, at least now I have some basic notions on how to run a ftp server heh.

Grow cube does something different. I think it might use some kind of identifier or cookie or something every time you load the flash file up. It's some java script called zen.js. For most of this stuff all you need to do is figure out how they're loading the files up. But since I don't know any sort of web coding I have no way of figuring this kind of stuff out.

You'll notice when it opens grow-cub.swf it will access x7.hebiichigo.com and generate a url with a bunch of numbers/letters then use the file zen.js. Either that or zen.js is the thing generating the url.. not sure. If you could find a way to run it offline I'm sure it would work
Yes I noticed. So I was probably wrong when I thought urlsnooper might have missed some files (if such a thing is even technically possible: a browser/internet connection dling some files without the pcksniffer being aware of it) So, it's probably just a matter of knowing how to run the thing offline...I'll look into it a bit but I doubt I'll have any kind of success.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Snark wrote:Well, at least now I have some basic notions on how to run a ftp server heh.
True I guess. Anyway I'm glad you at least got some of them working. Maybe an application will pop up making this annoying BS easier to deal with. =P
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

powerspike wrote:
Snark wrote:Well, at least now I have some basic notions on how to run a ftp server heh.
True I guess. Anyway I'm glad you at least got some of them working. Maybe an application will pop up making this annoying BS easier to deal with. =P
Seems unlikely. The few people who might be prolific enough in flash or whatever to know how to bypass this stuff won't bother coding an app for the flash clueless, because there's not enough of them who wants to play those games offline anyway.

I like my virtual machine method, as unelegant as it may be because:

-You don't actually have to know anything
-It (should) work with all cases regardless of what hackerish protection method is used.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

here, i didnt think i still had this. http://web.aanet.com.au/Student_WebZone ... h%20II.swf a good example of protection, it only reaches 50% and stops.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

ok my example was incorrect. i had a version that indeed refrenced somewhere else for the data. i have gone to the authors site and grabbed via flashgot the flash there which is about 500kb bigger then what i had and it indeed works :D

im aware of the version difference too, i wonder what is different... did they add more levels?

http://web.aanet.com.au/Student_WebZone ... ath_II.swf [1.19MB]
http://web.aanet.com.au/Student_WebZone ... h%20II.swf [750KB]
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

I know of an easier method.

Get a tampering http proxy. For Windows users, I strongly recommend Fiddler.

Then save the files the game downloads. And then setup the proxy to send those when the game requests them again.

No editing needed of the files, no issues with anti theft code and is way easy to do with some easy scripting.

From the Flash "movie"'s view, everything is as when it was first loaded. This is what mounting a iso is to the web.