HD DVD is officially dead

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

snkcube
Hero of Time

HD DVD is officially dead

Post by snkcube »

http://gear.ign.com/articles/853/853059p1.html

I'm still not buying a Blu-ray player. DVDs will keep me happy for now.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Sony++;
:(
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

This news does not make the PS3 magically more desirable.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

*ahem*

BluRay's just another proprietary Sony format that's doomed to join a long list of proprietary Sony formats no one used, like MiniDisc. More like BetaRay amirite lololo!11111

I'm glad BluRay won. Precisely because of the BetaRay people(who, being largely inane XBox/PS3 fanboys, never quite registered that it wasn't any more of a proprietary Sony format than HD-DVD was a proprietary Microsoft format).

Though.... HD-DVD had prettier boxes and a far more coherent and organized launch. They're STILL making changes to the BR spec.
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Deathlike2 wrote:This news does not make the PS3 magically more desirable.
Yes it does.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I'm glad HD-DVD won.
Whaaaaaa?
casualsax3 wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:This news does not make the PS3 magically more desirable.
Yes it does.
The problem with any new format is cost to afford the hardware. Like the DVD, it will take some time to become cost-sane (it has to be dirt cheap at some point) before it will be taken seriously. PS3 doesn't quite fit the bill unless you need the console to play the games which is the selling point it was supposed to have in the first place. You aren't going to buy it just to have a Bluray player (I get the feeling that the dedicated player is doing a better job anyways.. I've seen the PS2 play DVDs in action.. and it was not impressive at all). I don't think the PS3 is a great "multimedia solution" at all...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I do everything direct to drive, passing around physical mediums is teh oldskoolz.

seriously, in a few years the new Television standard is going to be Super Hi-Vision, and the highest physical medium will again be left in the dust, instead of getting proprietary players it's much more realistic to just load stuff onto your harddrive.

computer monitors have long since displayed much higher resolutions and content is going to be distributed at higher and higher resolutions faster than anyone can expect physical mediums to succeed in. It's a dying battle for them all.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:I'm glad HD-DVD won.
Whaaaaaa?
*blinks*
Whoa.... I think that goes a bit beyond what counts as a typo.
Suffice it to say I was getting sentences crossed, and that was SUPPOSED to be BetaRay.
*goes to fix it*
You aren't going to buy it just to have a Bluray player (I get the feeling that the dedicated player is doing a better job anyways.. I've seen the PS2 play DVDs in action.. and it was not impressive at all).
Actually, the PS3 is not only a decent movie player, it's the best BR player on the market right now.

It's really scary exactly how far from the PS2 the PS3 is. It's stable, reliable, available, plays movies properly...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
You aren't going to buy it just to have a Bluray player (I get the feeling that the dedicated player is doing a better job anyways.. I've seen the PS2 play DVDs in action.. and it was not impressive at all).
Actually, the PS3 is not only a decent movie player, it's the best BR player on the market right now.

It's really scary exactly how far from the PS2 the PS3 is. It's stable, reliable, available, plays movies properly...
I'll have to look into this. I'm not willing to just write it off though... just based on previous experience.. I would hope for improvements since then.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

I'll have to look into this. I'm not willing to just write it off though... just based on previous experience.. I would hope for improvements since then.
From what I read, the PS3 is the most future-proof Blu-ray player out there. It can easily adapt to whatever Sony does to the Blu-ray spec.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

certainly, it has more guts than most, and they can update the firmware wheneva.

anybody else here heard of PlayTV ?
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

HD-DVD is dead huh? I figured that might happen. See, now with Blu-ray, if that doesn't make the same jump as DVD made with VHS, it's gonna flop IMHO.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

snkcube wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

From what I read, the PS3 is the most future-proof Blu-ray player out there. It can easily adapt to whatever Sony does to the Blu-ray spec.
As I udnerstand things, it's the ONLY 1.0 player to recieve a 1.1 update(probably because 1.0 players didn't need any significant storage space, but 1.1 players need 256 MB), and it's almost certainly the only 1.1 player that's capable of being updated to 2.0(AKA BD-Live) due to 2.0's twin requirements of internet access and a GB of storage.

Aboutn the only bright point is that both update versions are backwards-compatible with respect to main content.
ALL BR players can play the actual movie from disks mastered with all 3 formats. The special features that require 2.0 won't work on 1.1, and 1.1 features won't work on 1.0, but the basic functionality is unaffected.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

I am still going to wait until I buy one.

But I'm glad this got settled.

To my knowledge, wasn't a blue-ray disc "better" than a HD-DVD disc anyway (much larger storage)?
bringing Zsnes back
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

there was a constant argument about that, which compression was better, or if colors were slightly different. Blu Ray does have a bit more space but they are semi comparable. Blu Ray is certainly a completely new kind of technology.

I wonder what this means for studios that were supporting HD-DVD, they are almost all worthless now. At least the struggle is over and everything can be a bit more uniform, but I honestly thing digital distribution is the real future.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Digital distribution with slow internet speed.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
bobthebuilder
Hazed

Post by bobthebuilder »

Sux. The blue ray titles I have seen have a lot of compression artifacts, while non of the hd dvd had them. The blue ray titles keep using mp2 for compression while the hd dvd were using newer tech (VC1 and AVC) :(
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

bourne ultimatum on hd-dvd was a terrible job.

i have the drive for my 360. i bought transformers, planet earth and bourne ultimatum. the drive came with king kong

i haven't watched a blu-ray disc. i just wish they they didn't include the customers. format wars are so ridiculously dumb. i'm glad it's over. now HD adoption can actually move forward a much brisker pace.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

bobthebuilder wrote:Sux. The blue ray titles I have seen have a lot of compression artifacts, while non of the hd dvd had them. The blue ray titles keep using mp2 for compression while the hd dvd were using newer tech (VC1 and AVC) :(
That was a problem with the initial releases, and due largely to the BluRay Disc Association forcing the format out before it was ready.

At the time of launch, the mastering software could only encode in MPEG2. And the fabrication facilities could only make single-layer disks.
25GB MPEG2 <<<<< 30 GB H.264/VC-1.

Three months later, the software supported more advanced codecs. A month after that, the factories supported dual-layer disks.

Modern situation is 50GB H.264/VC-1 VS 30GB H.264/VC-1.

Though really, the difference winds up being in higher-quality audio on BR, with similar video settings used on both disks(or even the exact same video files, if you had a dual-release).
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

This topic makes me regret not buying a PS3 early for the backwards compat. Sigh.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

FFXIII could convince me to get a ps3. that's about it, though.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Metatron wrote:This topic makes me regret not buying a PS3 early for the backwards compat. Sigh.
Huh? If you bought it back then it would have cost you an arm and a leg and you had no guarantee that blue-ray would win. The price has since dropped like a stone, so now that the war is over it's a good time to by the ps3 for it's player.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Metatron wrote:This topic makes me regret not buying a PS3 early for the backwards compat. Sigh.
I picked up a 60GB in November for only a hair over original retail ($520), one of the best decisions I've made in a while.

Excellent DVD player, Planet Earth looks magnificent on Blu-Ray, and my girlfriend and I are Ratchet & Clank nuts. Oh, and Uncharted is a blast (I'm about half-way through at the moment).

Plus, if we ever need a bigger drive, I'll just pick up a 250GB and save myself some space for yellowdog - installing laptop drives is routine for me in general, and a SATA drive in a slide caddy is a joke to put in.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Panzer88 wrote:Blu Ray is certainly a completely new kind of technology.
Disagreement: changing the wavelength of the reading beam is everything but a COMPLETELY NEW KIND OF TECHNOLOGY.
HD-DVD stuff was also mainly a change in wavelength.

It's the same physical laws, the same results, same limitations, same everything. You just pump the beam energy up which narrows it down.
Big fucking whoop.

New technology would either be holo-based (but using it on discs SUCKS - real holo owns with volume, not surface) or an improved remake of the old punch-card (tunnel effect to read the surface of a material thermically manipulable, huge amount of bytes per square inch in tests, however quite delicate and not up to release by far).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

movie cubes would be so star trek. i'd love it. except for the cost.