Fresh Crisp Graphics?????

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

mixup

Fresh Crisp Graphics?????

Post by mixup »

We searched the forums up down left and right but couldn't hit the jackpot.

So we registered to ask for help.

Here we go -->

Whats the best way to get the best looking graphics?

What filters are the best to use?

Are their any add-ons programs that can be used with ZSNES to make the graphics look better?

Like a pixel shader or something?

We want to have the best looking graphics possible before we start playing SNES games again.

Yours Truly

Dylan and Cole Sprouse
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

There are no add-ons, and all the filters are subjectively good. It's completely a matter of opinion. Just try them all, it'll take a little over five seconds, but you'll be a very informed person, and most certainly the talk of the town.

Have a nice day.
I bring the trouble.
mixup

Post by mixup »

Thanks for the tips, advice and support.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I suggest you use no filters, based on my entirely objective filter 'niceness' rating system that I calculated from a formula devised through copious research into filtering algorithms:

NTSC: 0.77
HQ2X: 0.65
HQ3X: 0.78
HQ4X: 0.85
Scanlines: 0.46
None: 0.91
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Clements wrote:I suggest you use no filters, based on my entirely objective filter 'niceness' rating system that I calculated from a formula devised through copious research into filtering algorithms:

NTSC: 0.77
HQ2X: 0.65
HQ3X: 0.78
HQ4X: 0.85
Scanlines: 0.46
None: 0.91
Could you please factor interpolation in? And define "none" in terms of S/R and resolution used?
Your formula is incomplete. :P
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Are their any add-ons programs that can be used with ZSNES to make the graphics look better?

Like a pixel shader or something?
Not gonna happen unless ZSNES has a Direct3D or OpenGL based renderer.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Using no filters is the closest thing to real snes, I always go with that. Filters just smudge the image, and I think it makes things look worse.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

No filters, with adjustments to brightness, contrast and/or gamma.
Transen

Post by Transen »

I say just interpolation (DR resolutions) if ya want something more true to what it would look like playing on a snes with a TV set.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

DS is probably closer, with bilinear filter. Interpolation filter looks pretty lousy.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

I tend to use hq4x

1280x1024

Looks purrrty

What would you guys say makes for the most accurate sound settings on ZSNES? I can never get Chrono Trigger to sound quite right.
bringing Zsnes back
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

... wait for new sound core. Some stuff just can't sound right in zsnes whatever option used right now.
See F-Zero engine noises.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

The new sound core's that good, huh? Nice.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:The new sound core's that good, huh? Nice.
I quote pagefault:
pagefault wrote:We are using blargg's DSP paired with a souped up version of _Demo_'s SPC.
I'm not too sure this is still the case entirely, since he posted this over a year ago. Still worth looking forward to, though.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Since that's the core Bsnes uses, all I can say is wow. Okay. back on topic!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

darkbenny wrote:I tend to use hq4x

1280x1024

Looks purrrty

What would you guys say makes for the most accurate sound settings on ZSNES? I can never get Chrono Trigger to sound quite right.
Currently, just Gaussian interpolation. Every other sound enhancing filter zsnes supports was not actually used on the snes sound chips.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I love how he goes for uber-flashy graphics filters, then wants accurate sound.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I love how he goes for uber-flashy graphics filters, then wants accurate sound.
I can understand why.

raising the resolution on the graphics without a filter makes everything look incredibly bad on most games(Hell, one game I tried high res on foir the hell of it was so pixelated that it was unplayable! Don't remember which game.).

Plus, a lot of the sounds that are currently inaccurate also happen to sound like shit due to that inaccuracy(FF6 being the gold standard).
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

I.S.T. wrote:raising the resolution on the graphics without a filter makes everything look incredibly bad on most games
That's entirely subjective, I actually like pixelation.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Johan_H wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:raising the resolution on the graphics without a filter makes everything look incredibly bad on most games
It gets to the point where it obscures the original image, though. That is what I was referring to. I didn't make that clear enough, though. >.>
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

ShadowFX wrote:
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:The new sound core's that good, huh? Nice.
I quote pagefault:
pagefault wrote:We are using blargg's DSP paired with a souped up version of _Demo_'s SPC.
I'm not too sure this is still the case entirely, since he posted this over a year ago. Still worth looking forward to, though.
Outdated. We're gonna use blargg's SPC and DSP cores.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
Johan_H wrote:
It gets to the point where it obscures the original image, though. That is what I was referring to. I didn't make that clear enough, though. >.>
If you play with the resolution and it's not an even multiple, yeah it's gonna look bad, though it gets better as resolution goes higher(more subpixels).
The obvious solution is to use even multiples, or stick to 640*480 unstretched.

If you still have a CRT monitor, the absolute best option is 640*480 DR and adjust the monitor controls to make it a 4:3 image. Oldschool monitors with actual control knobs are best for this, since it's so much faster to tweak them.

Besides, there's NTSC, scanline, and gaussian blur filters. All of them get rid of the pixelation effect without decreasing output accuracy(as they emulate analog-side effects rather than fake a higher-resolution image).

So I still find it funny that he's going for flashy HQ4x graphics, then wants accurate sound instead of playing with the options to "enhance" that too.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: So I still find it funny that he's going for flashy HQ4x graphics, then wants accurate sound instead of playing with the options to "enhance" that too.
Again, you forget that a lot of the inaccurate sounds happen to sound like shit that's been run through a grinder five times over.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

yes, inaccurate sound sounds like crap usually. graphics can usually be upsampled in quality with minimal noise being introduced into the picture.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: So I still find it funny that he's going for flashy HQ4x graphics, then wants accurate sound instead of playing with the options to "enhance" that too.
Again, you forget that a lot of the inaccurate sounds happen to sound like shit that's been run through a grinder five times over.
You're referring to core inaccuracies, not post-processing inaccuracies.

I could say a lot of the inaccurate graphics are garbled messes just as easily.