gundam wing endless duel and key comb.

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

captainbluemetal

gundam wing endless duel and key comb.

Post by captainbluemetal »

so, i have i assume, a modest grasp of how the "key comb." feature in the "misc" menu works, but im having severe trouble with one game in particular: Gundam Wing Endless Duel. i have tried literally for days to get the key combiner to execute the special attacks by pressing one button, and have met with no success. can anyone supply me with a line of combination key settings that can actually pull this off? maybe im missing something, maybe its stupid and silly and i should have gotten it by now, but im stumped. note: if you haven't played this game you probably don't know what im talking about...
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

it's the same as any other fighting game.

don't forget to insert one-frame delays between your directions.

eg: press down, frame delay, press down forward, frame delay, press forward + x + y
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
captainbluemetal

hmmmm...thanks a lot, but it seems more complicated than that. i knew about the delays. but something else seems to be the culprit. i know the combo i need, which is extremely awkward to pull off. but i also tried a simpler one just to see if i could get it right, and was still unable to make it work. the combo is a simple "down, foreward+punch." i can easily use the keyboard, and my USB controller, but as soon as i try to replicate it with the key comb. i get nothing. since the end of the combo requires that foreward and punch be pressed at the exact same time, what do you suggest?
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

If you did that online, that would be cheating. Instead of using a set number of keys to press, you press only one, that my friend is cheating.
captainbluemetal

haha, no actually, im not cheating. it's just extremely hard to use the more complex combos with a game pad, and when you are trying to execute them, you give yourself away with the pause and all the complicated button pressing, and a friend i play said "hey, wouldn't it be great if we could just set the combo to a hot button? that way, it would be a lot easier and fun to play each other." you try pressing forward, down forward+punch in under a second, correctly, without your buddy beside you noticing and you screwing up and getting the crap kicked out of you...it's easy with a keyboard, true, but i would much prefer to sit on a couch and play it at a distance with some drunk friends.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

The funny part is... you hadn't said a single word about multiplayer, much less netplay. He just went off on his "you're a dirty cheater" spiel for no reason.
odditude

Post by odditude »

captainbluemetal wrote:hmmmm...thanks a lot, but it seems more complicated than that. i knew about the delays. but something else seems to be the culprit. i know the combo i need, which is extremely awkward to pull off. but i also tried a simpler one just to see if i could get it right, and was still unable to make it work. the combo is a simple "down, foreward+punch." i can easily use the keyboard, and my USB controller, but as soon as i try to replicate it with the key comb. i get nothing. since the end of the combo requires that foreward and punch be pressed at the exact same time, what do you suggest?
here you go.

press down / frame delay / press forward / frame delay / release down / frame delay / press&release (button) + release forward

works beautifully in gwed. if you're trying to do a super, make it

press down / frame delay / press forward / frame delay / release down / frame delay / release forward / frame delay /press down / frame delay / press forward / frame delay / release down / frame delay / press&release (button) + release forward
captainbluemetal

THANK YOU ODDITUDE! i have wanted to do that with this game since back in grade school when my friends and i would play this game every day. course i was too young then to understand the emulator fully, but i love the nostalgia of beating up on my drunk college buddies now. im also just new to playing around with the key comb. feature, and your help gave me some insight in to how it and the game work. thanks again, and i will be sure to pass along this knowledge to anyone else i see needing some help. :D
odditude

Post by odditude »

now all you need to do is corner-trap someone with mercurius and use the super twice. bewm.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

probably one of the reasons I'm so sour about using that, is cause I usually don't play gwed and when someone whoops me at it and brags about it online. I usually get pissed off. So I go on this spiel about all gwed players are assholes. I guess that's not true. I don't know. I still don't like the idea of having to press one button for a series of moves, when the game wasn't actually designed to do that. I'm just saying using save states, which I've done for certain games and key combination editors is cheating. Combination editors for one button, when you're supposed to press 5 or 6. Say for example someone stays true in a fighting game and has to press 5 or 6 buttons for an awesome ultra killer move .aka killer instinct. And you've got someone who uses a key combination editor. Presses one button and does a series of freaking awesome moves to pummel your opponent with. Don't you think that would be a bit unfair for someone who has to press a lot of buttons, to one that has to press just one? :?
odditude

Post by odditude »

dude, let it go. he's not playing online.
captainbluemetal

yeah, i see where your coming from. thing is, i just set my friend's controller to do the same thing so he can do it right back. it actually works really well for two player with this specific game and game pads because you can't watch your friend for when he has to press a six button combo and take advantage of his pause and cheat THAT way. and i never have played online, actually. i just find it more fun to challenge a bunch of college friends to a game when we are bored and throw some beer in the mix for extra hilarity. i don't really play competitively at all. so, in short, im not going to terrorize the online gaming community. :lol: i also find it really funny to play SNES games on my computer using a spliced, ducktaped Xbox controller. u couldn't cobble together a weirder mix of system parts if you tried, haha.