Only 42 fps whatever I do

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Ii

Only 42 fps whatever I do

Post by Ii »

Hello, since one hour, when I launch zsnes, I'm always only with ~42 fps, what is even more strange is the fact that even by downloading it again and placing it in another folder, it still does this. I tested with snes9x, it does not this bug, I guess zsnes write something somewhere like in the regedit that I have to edit, no ? Any ideas ?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Please list your system specs first.

ZSNES does not use the registry anyways.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Ii

Post by Ii »

nvidia 7900 gt/gto

amd athlon 64 x2 dual
Core procesor 4200+
2,21 GHz, 1,00 Go Ram

But still, I was using it one hour ago with the maximum states for rewind and hq x 4 and I was doing 60 fps anywhere without problems, I'm gonna try to reboot ...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

try installing all the AMD patches for windows.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Ii

Post by Ii »

So: while trying to close windows, I got a diemwin process that didn't want to be closes, then after rebooting, zsnes was ok but; wtf, all my firefox bookmars have been deleted Oo

Well anyway, my problem seem to be resolved.
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

That is an excellent number.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Yeah, 42 is an brilliant number, being the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
You should be glad when you get 42 fps.
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

Hey, your specs are the same as mine :mrgreen:

Only i have the NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS :D

EDIT:
One of these days i'll have to upgrade my cpu to a 5000 or similar.... i got the 4200 cheap on eBay, but its a bit outdated.

Its awsome the way most of the AMD cpu's use the AM2 socket :D
Hardware means nothing if you don't have good software.
Compare the success of SNES over Genisis
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

What resolution are you using? Are you using fullscreen or not? Please, tell us what video settings you are using. Also, tell us your operating system. Also, look at what other programs are running, maybe one is hogging your processor.

Edit: I see your problems are fixed. If you have problems with a program, you should always reboot first!
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

badinsults wrote:If you have problems with a program, you should always reboot first!
I couldn't agree more.

Often IE friggs up on me, and, 99% of the time, rebooting the PC and the modem does the trick ;)
Hardware means nothing if you don't have good software.
Compare the success of SNES over Genisis
BCprogger
Hazed

Post by BCprogger »

wouldn't the fps go down to 42 if for some reason the refresh rate was set to 43 interlaced?
BFeely
Rookie

Post by BFeely »

You never mentioned what operating system you are running. If you are running Windows Vista, you lose hardware-accelerated DirectDraw and thus can get a signigicant loss in framerate. If this is the case, try a lower resolution and/or disabling graphics filters.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Why are you complaining that you are getting 42 fps?

Zsnes is showing you how smart it is, that it knows the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
I mean, zsnes gets 60 fps most of the time for me. Just goes to show how dumb my copy of zsnes is right?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It wasn't funny the first time. Repeating it doesn't make it better.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

BFeely wrote:You never mentioned what operating system you are running. If you are running Windows Vista, you lose hardware-accelerated DirectDraw and thus can get a signigicant loss in framerate. If this is the case, try a lower resolution and/or disabling graphics filters.
Really? I thought it was just DirectSound that was dropped.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Gil_Hamilton, you've obviously never seen the film "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy".
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Franky wrote:Gil_Hamilton, you've obviously never seen the film "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy".
Just because the material is classic doesn't mean that your delivery of it is any good.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Truth Unknown wrote:
BFeely wrote:You never mentioned what operating system you are running. If you are running Windows Vista, you lose hardware-accelerated DirectDraw and thus can get a signigicant loss in framerate. If this is the case, try a lower resolution and/or disabling graphics filters.
Really? I thought it was just DirectSound that was dropped.
correct.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Franky wrote:Gil_Hamilton, you've obviously never seen the film "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy".
Actually, I have.

And the BBC TV series.

Hell, I've even read the original book. And the other 4 books in the trilogy.
Which should be the FIRST reference, not the film.

That DOESN'T mean you're funny because you stole someone else's joke, and did it badly at that. And dragging it back out because no one laughed the first time is pretty much a surefire way to guarantee no one laughs the second time.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

>.>

The first HHGTTG was a radio program before it was a book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchhiker ... the_galaxy
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:>.>

The first HHGTTG was a radio program before it was a book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchhiker ... the_galaxy
Doh!

Well, I've at least gotten further back than the movie. :P

Edit: It's actually a shame the 6th book was never made.
The 4th book felt rushed and incomplete.
And the 5th book really seemed like he was saying "Just TRY and get me to make another one now!"

The series as it exists now would've been better served by staying a conventional trilogy.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Honestly, I don't get how those books are ordered though. A trilogy of 5?
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

There may have been a radio show, a book, a BBC TV Series, and a film.
But the film is the best one (or maybe I just hate reading fiction, and only like watching it in film form)
leilei
Rookie

Post by leilei »

it's definitely a refresh rate related issue. Did you try different video modes?
Don't upgrade your processor, it's 1247% more than enough for ZSNES.
o^_^o
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Franky wrote:Honestly, I don't get how those books are ordered though. A trilogy of 5?
It's a joke that dates back to when they released the 4th book.
The third book closed the story out, and the series was dubbed a trilogy.

Then they did a 4th book. And continued calling the series a trilogy, because it was fun.

Franky wrote:There may have been a radio show, a book, a BBC TV Series, and a film.
But the film is the best one (or maybe I just hate reading fiction, and only like watching it in film form)
I think it's the latter. Mister too-lazy-to-read.

I'm not in the camp that thinks the movie was a crime against humanity and a stain on Douglas Adams' good name, but the books were better.