LOL Thread

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I said this in the thread about rocknes and I will say it again: why bother with anything other than nestopia?

Nestopia is perfect, FCEU is not.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Somehow you are the judge of all things NES? I think not.

Besides, even if an emu is imperfect, there are certain features of an emu that may be more of use to others.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Franky wrote:I said this in the thread about rocknes and I will say it again: why bother with anything other than nestopia?
And notice how you were defeated in verbal kombat.
mz
Rookie

Post by mz »

Franky wrote:I said this in the thread about rocknes and I will say it again: why bother with anything other than nestopia?

Nestopia is perfect, FCEU is not.
Hi, I'm one of the developers of FCEU/FCEUX.

FCEUX was made for RomHacking.net and TASVideos.org communities. So, only hackers and TASers should bother with it.

(You may be very interested in having a chat with Squall_Leonhart, for he thinks "Jnes is perfect, Nestopia is not" and "why bother with anything other than Jnes".)
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Deathlike2 wrote:Somehow you are the judge of all things NES? I think not.

Besides, even if an emu is imperfect, there are certain features of an emu that may be more of use to others.
Name on of these features, please.
And no, I'm not the judge of all things NES; it's just that nestopia better, and it's what I use.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Franky wrote:

And no, I'm not the judge of all things NES; it's just that nestopia better, and it's what I use.

Romhacking.

Tool Assisted Speedruns.

Developing for the NES(Admittedly, you would want to test on nestopia and nintendulator).
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Franky wrote:

It's already been mentioned in this thread, but movie recording is one that's useful for some people. I'm not saying Nestopia doesn't have that feature (in fact, it does), but some may prefer alternative options because it's more flexible or easy to use. It's not a hard concept.

In any case, please stop spamming in these threads that you have no interest in the emu.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
mz
Rookie

Post by mz »

Franky wrote:Name on of these features, please.
ROM-Hacking Features:
Debugger, Trace Logger, Code/Data Logger, Cheat Search, RAM Filter, Frame Advance, PPU Viewer, Hex Editor, Game Genie Decoder/Encoder

TAS features:
Frame advance, Slow-downs, "bullet-proof" rerecording, TAS edit, Input presets, Auto-Hold, Auto-Fire, Macros, Multi-tracking, Lua scripting, Basic Bot, Cheat Search, RAM Filter, Hex Editor, Debugger, Memory Watch, Movie Splicing Editing, Text based file format, Input Display, Lag Counter

It also has other minor stuff like mappers support for some rare russian games, a huge help file and probably other things I can't remember right now.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

FCEU (and FCEUX, duh.) and most other emulators don't induce A headache after listening to the sounds from it for about A minute.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

why can't someone just implement these things in nestopia then?
Nestopia is perfect; if it had all those extra things fceu had, it'd make fceu even more pointless.

I understand now what you mean though; sure the things mz mentioned would be extremely useful. Like i said, why can't someone just take the source code and implement those in nestopia?

Either way, I still don't care about fceu, at all. Those features it has do not interest me; I'm only interested in actually playing games, and emulation is better on nestopia so that means I'm better able to play the games.

I rarely even use any additional features in emulators. I never use savestates, rarely use rewind/fastforward, have no need for cheats (apart from a cheat for shin megami tensei (snes) that gets me past a glitch that makes the game freeze in every snes emulator (courtesy Aeon Genesis)).
I might aswell just not play on emulators and play on the real thing, because the additional benefits provided in emulators do not interest me.
Last edited by ZH/Franky on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Franky wrote:why can't someone just implement these things in nestopia then?
Nestopia is perfect; if it had all those extra things fceu had, it'd make fceu even more pointless.
That's up to the author to do it. If that's valued by him, then it should be apparently obvious (but you obviously don't understand a thing here).
I understand now what you mean though; sure the things mz mentioned would be extremely useful. but like i said, why can't someone just take the source code and implement those in nestopia?
This does not work the way you are describing it. Stop trying.
Either way, I still don't care about fceu, at all. Those features it has do not interest me; I'm only interested in actually playing games, and emulation is better on nestopia so that means I'm better able to play the games.
Could you stop posting in non-Nestopia threads if you prefer Nestopia? Again, you provide absolutely nothing to the thread.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

That's up to the author to do it. If that's valued by him, then it should be apparently obvious (but you obviously don't understand a thing here).
Nestopia is open source; anyone can come in and add those things. If I was skilled enough, I'd do it myself (that is, if i wanted those things; but i don't care about those things, so I wouldn't bother adding them).
Could you stop posting in non-Nestopia threads if you prefer Nestopia? Again, you provide absolutely nothing to the thread.
As much as the reasoning behind why you ask this makes full sense, I have the right to do exactly as I please, providing I don't hurt anyone. If I decide to stop posting in non-nestopia threads, it will be because I've decided myself to no longer do so, not because you've told me too. What, do you believe that you have the authority to tell me what to do? Don't make me laugh, I may piss myself, rolling around the floor in utter amusement if you do.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Franky wrote:
Nestopia is open source; anyone can come in and add those things. If I was skilled enough, I'd do it myself (that is, if i wanted those things; but i don't care about those things, so I wouldn't bother adding them).
They can, but that doesn't mean it will be in the next release. Adding code and submitting it is fine, but the author can always accept or reject improvements to their app. You can always keep the changes for yourself, but that's not my point. If the author has a desire to make said changes themselves, it would be done.
As much as the reasoning behind why you ask this makes full sense, I have the right to do exactly as I please, providing I don't hurt anyone. If I decide to stop posting in non-nestopia threads, it will be because I've decided myself to no longer do so, not because you've told me too. What, do you believe that you have the authority to tell me what to do? Don't make me laugh, I may piss myself, rolling around the floor in utter amusement if you do.
If you assume this a public forum and that anything you say goes, you would be sadly mistaken. I don't have any issue with you preferring one emu over another. It is another to just state and assume that other emus serve absolutely no other purpose. If you don't believe they do, fine, but it's helpful to keep that to yourself.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

They can, but that doesn't mean it will be in the next release. Adding code and submitting it is fine, but the author can always accept or reject improvements to their app. You can always keep the changes for yourself, but that's not my point. If the author has a desire to make said changes themselves, it would be done.
They may be able to keep changes to themselves if the author doesn't accept them, but they can always distribute their modified version of the emulator, and of course people can use that modified version. The author's official version would still be there of course. Forking is good, know what I'm saying?
If you assume this a public forum and that anything you say goes, you would be sadly mistaken. I don't have any issue with you preferring one emu over another. It is another to just state and assume that other emus serve absolutely no other purpose. If you don't believe they do, fine, but it's helpful to keep that to yourself.
I am not saying that what I say goes, nor am I saying that people are required to listen to me; quite the contrary, in fact. I'm just saying that if I want to say something, I have the right to say it. After saying it, you have the right to agree or disagree, and if you want to, you can reply saying what you believe about what I just said; and, you've exercised this right, just as I've exercised mine. We can at least agree that this is the internet, where free speach is truly existant, where people can actually say exactly what they want, right?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Franky wrote:
They may be able to keep changes to themselves if the author doesn't accept them, but they can always distribute their modified version of the emulator, and of course people can use that modifed version. The author's official version would still be there of course. Forking is good, know what I'm saying?
Authors don't distribute that stuff. The users do that. The author has no responsibility over that fork.
I am not saying that what I say goes, and I'm not saying that people are required to listen to me; quite the contrary. I'm just saying that if I want to say something, I have the right to say it. After saying it, you have the right to agree or disagree, and if you want to, you can reply saying what you believe about what I just said; and, you've exercised this right, just as I've exercised mine. We can at least agree that this is the internet, where free speach is truly existant, where people can actually say exactly what they want, right?
Not on this board, sorry. This isn't a public forum, and most things can be said here, but there are still rules, regardless of your opinion. If you host your own board, you can say whatever the heck you like.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Authors don't distribute that stuff. The users do that. The author has no responsibility over that fork.
I wasn't saying that authors distribute it. I was saying that the people who make the fork can distribute it.
Not on this board, sorry. This isn't a public forum, and most things can be said here, but there are still rules, regardless of your opinion. If you host your own board, you can say whatever the heck you like.
Those rules are arbitrary. Just as I've explained, those rules are a statement from your own right to free speach, and, as I've also explained, I have the right to agree or disagree with whatever part of that collection of rules. If I disagree, you have the right to let me do so, because, you have no right to tell me what to think. And so, if I disagree with those arbitrary rules, I have the right to break them, and you have the right to try and do something about it; good luck with that.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I have split this topic and moved it to General Chatter.

Please continue with this, it is entertaining.

/me gets popcorn
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

I'm going to be out all day, so I won't get a chance to see the show :(

As long as I'm here, Franky is an idiot? That sounds about right. I guess I can say that in this public forum where anything goes.

That's all for now, this should make for fun reading later. Ding ding!

EDIT: oh nooooooooooes, I fell into Franky's trap! INSULTING HIM ONLY MAKES HIM STRONGER, GUYS!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!
I bring the trouble.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

You guys seem to be calling me idiot (and maybe other names) and yet you offer no arguments against mine.
Hypocrisy?

You can make me look like an idiot all you want, but in the end, you might eventually realize that it is the other way round.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Franky wrote:You guys seem to be calling me idiot (and maybe other names) and yet you offer no arguments against mine.
Hypocrisy?
Some people accept being idiots, and I'm one of them. I do a lot of idiotic things like everyone else. However, I think you're offended that you don't realize you are just a big an idiot.
You can make me look like an idiot all you want, but in the end, you might eventually realize that it is the other way round.
Sometimes, that's simply not true. Perception is the eye of the beholder after all.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Franky wrote:You guys seem to be calling me idiot (and maybe other names) and yet you offer no arguments against mine.
Hypocrisy?

I'm making time in my busy schedule for you <3

No one ever said anything about not being an idiot, francis. I never said I was smart. There's a definite difference between hypocrisy and lying, though. Even if I am an idiot, thus making me a hypocrite, it doesn't nullify the argument that you, in fact, are also an idiot. To go one step further, you resorted to calling us hypocrites instead of offering an argument against your idiocy... that's not also hypocritical?

Long story short, you do have the right to say whatever you want, and you've been playing your cards in a way where you're likely never going to commit a bannable offense. Don't assume that because of this, we all have to put up with your crap and not give you shit when you're at best unhelpful (open source means you guys should be forking emulators for me), and at worst almost unreasonably easy to anger and completely out of line (death penalty argument... that was a classic).

Back to work!
I bring the trouble.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Franky wrote:Just as I've explained, those rules are a statement from your own right to free speech, and, as I've also explained, I have the right to agree or disagree with whatever part of that collection of rules.
Spelling fixed.

</nazi>
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Hypocrisy?

unfortunately, we aren't the ones making you look like an idiot - you don't seem to require any assistance there.

as for the "no arguments" part, this has already been refuted. i might add that i was one of the first to provide a valid argument.*

you can complain all you want, but the empirical evidence clearly points to you being an ignorant assclown with a selective reading problem.

*regardless of its other merits, nestopia is simply unusable to me due to the controller latency introduced when vsync is enabled. if you don't see this, then either it is an issue limited to certain hardware or OS limitations, or your skill at NES games is simply poor enough that you can't tell the difference.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I appreciate Deathlike2 and I have started to dislike Franky a lot, so Franky is wrong by default.

Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

it helps that it actually is wrong
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]