Need help with sound

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Wallygator56

Need help with sound

Post by Wallygator56 »

hey guys I've recently started using zsnes again on my new laptop and I noticed that one of the sound channels doesn't play on some games like Donkey Kong country 2. In the overworld the theme music plays execpt for the main melody so it just sounds like accompanying music like the bass and countermelody.

I tried using another zsnes emulator, 1.36 and it worked but then the second time I used it it had the same problem so I went and downloaded another version of 1.51 and it seemed to work until I tried it a second time. Anybody know how to fix this? I want to play the game but the sound issue really detracts from the play and bugs me.

thanks
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Check if all the sound channels are enabled. The panic key is helpful in those cases.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Wallygator56

Post by Wallygator56 »

Yeah I tried toggling all the f sound keys on and off to no avail, I also noticed that there is a crackling fuzzy noise playing, maybe thats the sound I'm looking for but its not coming out right?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

What port of ZSNES are you using? DOS, Windows, or SDL are the only valid answers.

It sounds to me you are using the DOS version.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Wallygator56

Post by Wallygator56 »

I downloaded the win version and it says zsnesw so I think its the windows version
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Have you used the panic key? (The key is 6).

You might want to change the sound frequency from the norm to 44000Hz or 48000Hz because of your sound card (32000Hz is the default and recommended).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Wallygator56

Post by Wallygator56 »

I tried the 6 thing and it seemed to work, thanks
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Next time, pay more attention to what grinvader said. The panic key would have been found in the docs since it doesn't seem that you've read them.
Master O
Hazed

Post by Master O »

Deathlike2 wrote:Next time, pay more attention to what grinvader said. The panic key would have been found in the docs since it doesn't seem that you've read them.
I'd be surprised if most zsnesw newbies actually read the documentation.
[quote="PhobosDK"]I see only
you are not serious
you'll get ignored

I think bad emulation that will be ignored...

We have choice about emulators.
Close your eyes and keep minor bugs update only.[/quote]

Fail....
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Master O wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:Next time, pay more attention to what grinvader said. The panic key would have been found in the docs since it doesn't seem that you've read them.
Right, since 99% of them don't ever read it until someone here tells them to.

And even when someone here tells them to read the docs, some percentage of those newbies start to argue why they shouldn't have to do so.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Master O wrote:
so what, you wouldn't be suprised if the zsnesl and zsnesm newbies read the docs?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.