Is there a Program that will let me Change Sprites on a ROM?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

tails230
Rookie

Is there a Program that will let me Change Sprites on a ROM?

Post by tails230 »

I tried some of the programs and all it shows is just... Blurr. I can't see like Pictures of my character. Is that waht it's supose to be like? All I want to do with it is just change sprites on it. thats it. I really want to do it.

Thank you. And please help. I don't want to like change the game I want to edit, I want to change the sprites on it, thats all. Thank you.
My Name is Miles Prower. But evreyone calls me Tails. Don't disrespect me because my name is from Sega
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

I think you mean that you are seeing scrambled garbage, not blur?

If so...you need to increase your vocabulary ;)
tails230
Rookie

Post by tails230 »

You mean thats the only way to edit Sprites on a rom? ... :(
My Name is Miles Prower. But evreyone calls me Tails. Don't disrespect me because my name is from Sega
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

When a game is compiled from source code and resource data into a complete binary, it would take intelligent analysis to seperate code from resource data such as sprites and other graphics.

The programming logic is stored as numeric data, just as the graphics are. This is why you see garbage. A viewer/editor cannot tell the difference unless it was designed for a specific game which had been reverse-engineered by the author of the tool.
tails230
Rookie

Post by tails230 »

So Ican't change sprites.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

tails230 wrote:So Ican't change sprites.
It'd be an understatement to say it's really hard to do.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

Ichinisan wrote:When a game is compiled from source code and resource data into a complete binary, it would take intelligent analysis to seperate code from resource data such as sprites and other graphics.

The programming logic is stored as numeric data, just as the graphics are. This is why you see garbage. A viewer/editor cannot tell the difference unless it was designed for a specific game which had been reverse-engineered by the author of the tool.
This is only accurate if the game ROM is relatively disorganized or utilizes some form of compression. If the game uses a standard graphics format (such as 4 bits per pixel for SNES) for its sprites and decides to put them all in a relatively cohesive block, then it's not difficult to find or modify them. A tile editor for the correct format is enough.

That alone is not quite enough for significant, intelligent changes though. A good example of why can be found in Super Metroid. The game uses 4 BPP uncompressed sprites, and they're in a huge contiguous block inside the ROM. The order of the sprites, however, does not make all that much sense sometimes. Samus happens to have so many sprite pieces, and they're in such a disorganized state, that it takes a good deal of work to sort them all out.

NES games which make use of CHR-ROM are even easier to work with than SNES games which store uncompressed 4 BPP sprites in large chunks. With the CHR-ROM, you're guaranteed to find the graphical data at the end of the ROM (.nes) file, assuming iNES format of course. CHR-ROM, additionally, is never compressed and uses the standard NES tile formats.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Depending on the ROM, keep looking through the garbage and you'll start to see some graphics in little blocks. You'll have to use Tile Layer Pro's clipboard to reassemble them back together into the full sized sprite (not in ROM area itself, on the clipboard area). Then, change them to your heart's content.

Its difficult indeed, but possible. I have a program I wrote for FF3 that lets you swap the character's sprite sets out. (Make Edgar look like Kefka, Terra look morphed all the time, etc.)
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

Having a palette (ie. the colors of a scene) from the game helps a lot, too.
"Other people can give you more suggestions as I just lost all my motivation to respond further to this post."
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

[url=http://www.geocities.com/illegal_eagle_2003/]vSNES v2.00[/url]: My SNES savestate viewer.
tails230
Rookie

Post by tails230 »

where can I get Tile Layer Pro?
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

At Zophar.

I linked right to the correct page.
Zophar has almost every game hacking, cheating, or modifying utility ever made somewhere on it page. Explore!

tails230
Rookie

Post by tails230 »

How do i use it? I just want to change Spites. (Like the characters)
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

Use the help file, and your common sense. If you have problems with that:

1. download it
2. unzip it
3. start tlp.exe
4. click the "open a ROM image" button (or use the menu) to open a ROM image

Now you see the bytes of the ROM file, decoded into tiles. (I'm guessing it's 4-bit tiles.)

5. load a palette, for example from a ZSNES savestate
6. scroll through the ROM and find the graphics
7. select a tile
8. edit it in the Tile Editor

When you're done: Save the ROM file, preferably to a new file.
"Other people can give you more suggestions as I just lost all my motivation to respond further to this post."
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

[url=http://www.geocities.com/illegal_eagle_2003/]vSNES v2.00[/url]: My SNES savestate viewer.
tails230
Rookie

Post by tails230 »

So I can't just Copy a Picture and Put it in the ROM? All I have to do is find the Character and then Change what it loks like.
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

You can't copy'n'paste it if the editor doesn't support it. I'll guess and say that no one does.

Btw. if you can't find the graphics then they might be compressed.
In this case your only hope is a game-specific editor.
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Like I already told ya in the last thread, It would be easier for you just downloading and using one of those game maker programs.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
tails230
Rookie

Post by tails230 »

Game Maker isn't Editing a Game Rom. I just want a Program that will let me just Change sprites on an SNES ROM. Does anyone know an easy way to change Sprites on a Rom
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

tails230 wrote: Does anyone know an easy way to change Sprites on a Rom
There isn't any. From what I can tell about your computer skills, its pretty difficult. They all require dealing with the little squares (tiles) that Tile Layer gives you.

Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

tails230 wrote:Game Maker isn't Editing a Game Rom. I just want a Program that will let me just Change sprites on an SNES ROM. Does anyone know an easy way to change Sprites on a Rom
TileLayerPro IS the easiest thing you can have to change the Sprites. If you can't change them with that, you're out of luck.

You have a horrible misconception on how easy it is to edit ROMS. It sounds like it's beyond your skill level at this time.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
tails230
Rookie

Post by tails230 »

Ok I give Up. I was going to make Sonic The Hedeghog in Super Mario World.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

You don't necessarily have to give up on your dreams. Just start simple. Just because it's beyond your skill level now, doesn't mean it always has to be. You are capable of learning how to do this. There are MANY tutorials out there on romhacking. Read and improve your skills.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.