Whats with the awful menu?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

HonoredShadow
Rookie

Post by HonoredShadow »

I mean it looks like it was tacked on by some 15 year old. It is reminisce of those fake menus you used to have in DOS programs all those years ago trying to look like windows/menus. I hope this changes soon. No other emu has this weird out of the loop menu.

Any way apart from that great emulator.

Just a few questions. I have been reading up on the Snes emulators out there and the one that seems to have tried to make great strides is BSNES. It's advances in patching and header info seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I can't understand why! Is it because people are like pigs in mud and know what they like and like what they know?

I know people don't like change but all of the changes I have read about that happen with other machine emulators seem to benefit the scene so how come most of these suggestions are getting completely ignored?

From an outsider point of view this does not make any sense.

If someone could give me an UNBIASED explanation that would be great.

All the best,

Sy.
AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 1.5 gig ram, Nvidia 7600GT 256 ram
DataPath
Lurker

Re: Whats with the awful menu?

Post by DataPath »

HonoredShadow wrote:Just a few questions. I have been reading up on the Snes emulators out there and the one that seems to have tried to make great strides is BSNES. It's advances in patching and header info seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I can't understand why! Is it because people are like pigs in mud and know what they like and like what they know?

I know people don't like change but all of the changes I have read about that happen with other machine emulators seem to benefit the scene so how come most of these suggestions are getting completely ignored?
Maybe because they came ~10 years too late. Or maybe it's just that they were good, but not good enough. And maybe because primadonna egos and community-building don't really go well together. Don't get me wrong, though - byuu is brilliant and dedicated. He just also happens to be good at alienating people.
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

*someone can delete this, because it is so heavily censored, no one remotely understand it. GoodBye!*

not true: what DataPath said, minus the stuff about intelligence.
Last edited by mudlord88 on Fri May 13, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

HonoredShadow wrote:Whats with the awful menu?

I mean it looks like it was tacked on by some 15 year old. It is reminisce of those fake menus you used to have in DOS programs all those years ago trying to look like windows/menus. I hope this changes soon. No other emu has this weird out of the loop menu.
the gui is c. 1998 or so and was introduced in the DOS version. since it was hard-coded in asm, the windows version simply stuck it in the window for simplicity and consistency.

i happen to be rather fond of the gui - it befits an emulator of a 20-year-old console.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

indeed, still does.

Nothing wrong with a nice raster GUI. Funny how consoles still have a visual based GUI.
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

If someone could give me an UNBIASED explanation that would be great.
I think thats never gonna happen. Considering what said person means to many people here, which is nothing but ignorance and abuse.
Sorta like me, in a way, fascinating....oh what could have been if byuu and I got along.....D:
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

HonoredShadow wrote:Whats with the awful menu?

I mean it looks like it was tacked on by some 15 year old.
I'd like to see a 15 year old guy come up with something like zgui2, really. Would actually be interesting.
It's advances in patching and header info seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I can't understand why!
It's because it's advancing in a direction noone else is interested in. Make your own conclusions.

From an outsider point of view this does not make any sense.
I don't think it's supposed to, really.
From each person's point of view, changes can be efficient and good, or stupid and useless. Either you're an outsider and you merely use the programs, or you care enough about those decisions and you jump into the scene to make things better.
Once you've learnt enough, then you'll be able to make your own enlightened opinion on where things are, why, what is a benefit and which direction feels a worthy time investment.

That was the unbiasest thing ever. I don't think even unbias jesus can come up with any better. I rule at the unbias.

I also happen to rule at the bias, and that would end up worse than what mudlord wrote, whatever it was.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

mudlord88 wrote:indeed, still does.

Nothing wrong with a nice raster GUI. Funny how consoles still have a visual based GUI.
And how just about every piece of commercial entertainment software does, too.
Video games haven't EVER used a stock Windows menu, except for a few early and particularly sad releases.
And media players haven't since Winamp hit it big.

So really.... what we have here is people demanding emulators carry a GUI that marks them as second-class citizens and/or victims of lazy development?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
mudlord88 wrote:indeed, still does.

And how just about every piece of commercial entertainment software does, too.
Video games haven't EVER used a stock Windows menu, except for a few early and particularly sad releases.
And media players haven't since Winamp hit it big.
VLC has an option to use a native Qt based GUI, but I don't know if it can translate back to native Windows GUI, but it's native in Linux. A lot of game launchers/settings things are often native Windows. :p

Buuuut, I'm just being pedantic and stuff.

As for the zsnes GUI, I don't mind it. Would be nice to see a modernized, resizeable version of it, with a resizeable font and stuff, but then I guess that'd just be a fruity, colorful "Windows Classic" theme. It certainly has a lot of nostalgia. I didn't use zsnes long enough to have used the old menu, which I guess was a lot like the F1 menu. I haven't even seen that form of zsnes. Nowadays I guess it's more beneficial to use a proper GUI toolkit, so you don't need to spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel, to end up with something that may mot be as good or usable or consistent with the rest of the system.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Foobar2000 uses a lovely native menu, eh has a Notepad style and doesnt afraid of anything.